9th pick in 10 team league - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

9th pick in 10 team league

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby Kelly Gruber » Sun Mar 13, 2005 11:56 pm

If Helton isn't gone within the first 6, then there is something wrong with your pool. Also, Santana will be gone earlier, and Abreu should not be taken in the first round...You'll probably be left with the choice of Soriano or Prior (a great late first round pick) or maybe even Beltre if you think he'll repeat last year (although I don't, but some would argue that)
An unanswered question is better than an unquestioned answer
Kelly Gruber
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Kelly Gruber » Sun Mar 13, 2005 11:58 pm

Actually, Bonds might even get to you, although he's getting old and recovering from knee surgery, not to mention the controversy surrounding him, but take him if you want...
Kelly Gruber
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby jpbusta » Mon Mar 14, 2005 12:08 am

Kelly Gruber wrote:If Helton isn't gone within the first 6, then there is something wrong with your pool. Also, Santana will be gone earlier, and Abreu should not be taken in the first round...You'll probably be left with the choice of Soriano or Prior (a great late first round pick) or maybe even Beltre if you think he'll repeat last year (although I don't, but some would argue that)

lol, there's more than plenty of chance that helton will be available at the 9th pick. I'd take Abreu ahead of helton anyday. Prior in the 1st round is insanity just because you'll be easily be able to get him in the 2nd round if you wanted to. There will be guys like Bonds, Manny, crawford available. Just take the best player. If I were you, I'd plan on something like Manny/Crawford, or Helton/Manny, Manny/Bonds. :-)
R2C2.
jpbusta
General Manager
General Manager

Postby Kelly Gruber » Mon Mar 14, 2005 12:16 am

jpbusta wrote:
Kelly Gruber wrote:If Helton isn't gone within the first 6, then there is something wrong with your pool. Also, Santana will be gone earlier, and Abreu should not be taken in the first round...You'll probably be left with the choice of Soriano or Prior (a great late first round pick) or maybe even Beltre if you think he'll repeat last year (although I don't, but some would argue that)

lol, there's more than plenty of chance that helton will be available at the 9th pick. I'd take Abreu ahead of helton anyday. Prior in the 1st round is insanity just because you'll be easily be able to get him in the 2nd round if you wanted to. There will be guys like Bonds, Manny, crawford available. Just take the best player. If I were you, I'd plan on something like Manny/Crawford, or Helton/Manny, Manny/Bonds. :-)

List me the 8 players that you think should be taken before Helton. I can think of 5 at the most: A-Rod, Pujols, Beltran, Vlady, +RJ (although I'd take Helton before RJ)...there is no way that you can justify taking any player other than those 5 before Helton...
Kelly Gruber
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Tavish » Mon Mar 14, 2005 12:18 am

Kelly Gruber wrote:List me the 8 players that you think should be taken before Helton. I can think of 5 at the most: A-Rod, Pujols, Beltran, Vlady, +RJ (although I'd take Helton before RJ)...there is no way that you can justify taking any player other than those 5 before Helton...

Bonds
Tavish
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterWeb Supporter
(Past Year: 26)

Postby Steve-o » Mon Mar 14, 2005 12:26 am

Before Helton on my Board (in order):

Alex Rodriquez
Albert Pujols
Vladimir Guerrero
Carlos Beltran
Miguel Tejada
Bobby Abreu
Randy Johnson
Alfonso Soriano
Manny Ramirez

So I also agree that he will be available wiht the 9th pick. I actually took him at 14 in a draft on Saturday.

http://baseball.fantasysports.yahoo.com ... aftresults

I have actually never seen him go higher than 7 in any "expert" draft I looked at. His median position in the drafts I analyzed was 10.

Also, on the Prior front, I have seen him taken as high as 8, but the average is somewhere 18. If you can, you should wait until early second to take him.
Last edited by Steve-o on Mon Mar 14, 2005 12:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
Steve-o
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby Kelly Gruber » Mon Mar 14, 2005 12:26 am

Bonds will have an average similar to Helton's with fewer AB's so it will not effect it as much, will get the same amount of HR's (I know around 45 has been Bonds norm, but he is getting older and is recovering from injury)..........pretty much the same power numbers, with Helton slightly better in terms of RBI's and possibly runs.

The main factor: the worst you can expect from Helton is what he did in his worst year when he had back problems in 2002, and the most you can expect is his best season in 2000. It will likely be somewhere in the middle.

Bonds, on the other hand, is at the end of his career. He had knee surgery. He is surrounded by an ever-mounting steroid controversy.

Helton is clearly the better choice.

You still have not given me a complete answer. Who are the other 2 you'd take before Helton?
Kelly Gruber
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Kelly Gruber » Mon Mar 14, 2005 12:28 am

Whatever; if you can get him 9th, then take him, but he is worth a lot more than you think...
Kelly Gruber
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Tavish » Mon Mar 14, 2005 12:58 am

Kelly Gruber wrote:Bonds will have an average similar to Helton's with fewer AB's so it will not effect it as much, will get the same amount of HR's (I know around 45 has been Bonds norm, but he is getting older and is recovering from injury)..........pretty much the same power numbers, with Helton slightly better in terms of RBI's and possibly runs.

So in other words you would take Helton over Bonds on a hunch?

BA Helton > Bonds
OBP Bonds >>> Helton
SLG Bonds >> Helton
RBI Bonds = Helton
R Bonds > Helton
HR Bonds >> Helton
SB Bonds = Helton

Personally I would take Helton at 6 in a league like this.

Bonds, Vlad, Pujols, Beltran, Manny, Helton
Tavish
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterWeb Supporter
(Past Year: 26)

Previous

Return to Baseball Leftovers