Torre: Giambi would bat cleanup if the season started today - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Torre: Giambi would bat cleanup if the season started today

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby TheYanks04 » Mon Mar 14, 2005 12:18 am

Well unless their is some sort of Giambi minor miracle, I like this lineup a whole lot better:

#1 Derek Jeter SS
#2 Alex Rodriguez 3B
#3 Gary Sheffield RF
#4 Hideki Matsui LF
#5 Bernie Williams CF
#6 Jorge Posada C
#7 Tino Martinez 1B
#8 Jason Giambi DH
#9 Tony Womack 2B

You maybe move Posada ahead of Bernie based on the matchup and who is hot or cold. Two switch hitters back to back is not ideal, but I can't see jumping Tino or Giambi above them until they prove otherwise.
TheYanks04
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Conner » Mon Mar 14, 2005 12:23 am

Jason Giambi is not batting 8th, dude....

I realize you despise the man...But, unless one of his arms fall off (and maybe even then)....He's most certainly not batting behind Tino freakin' Martinez.
Conner
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby TheYanks04 » Mon Mar 14, 2005 12:29 am

IF he hits 220 and Ks half the time he most certainly will be. Tino is no winning prize at this point in his career either and they are both lefties, so the one that hits better bats 7th initially. If Giambi is that good, he will not be batting 7th or 8th but likely 4th or 5th. Tino posted OK numbes with TB last season for him and I fail to see why you would bat someone not producing over him because his name is Giambi and he makes 20M.

And that lineup happens to be what the the Inside Pitch is projecting also.

http://www.theinsidepitch.com/ROS_NYY.html
TheYanks04
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby Conner » Mon Mar 14, 2005 12:35 am

TheYanks04 wrote:IF he hits 220 and Ks half the time he most certainly will be. Tino is no winning prize at this point in his career either and they are both lefties, so the one that hits better bats 7th initially. If Giambi is that good, he will not be batting 7th or 8th but likely 4th or 5th. Tino posted OK numbes with TB last season for him and I fail to see why you would bat someone not producing over him because his name is Giambi and he makes 20M.

And that lineup happens to be what the the Inside Pitch is projecting also.

http://www.theinsidepitch.com/ROS_NYY.html

Well, then remind me not to bother caring what theinsidepitch.com thinks about projected lineups....

The fact of the matter is....If Giambi hits .220 and K's half the time, he shouldn't be on anyone's fantasy team anyway. But....there's really not much reason to predict that he will be nearly that bad....and he's absolutely not starting the year as the 8th hitter in the lineup, and will most likely stay near the top for at least a few months.
Conner
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby TheYanks04 » Mon Mar 14, 2005 1:05 am

I hope he has a great year. But I am a realist. He has gone downhill the past 2 seasons from an average point of view. He is now off the roids. He is older and plagued by maladies from a gimpy knee to the other roid related stuff. Who knows what he does.

It is far more likely he hits 220 than 300. It is also far more reasonable to assume he hits 265-280 with 25 or so Hrs. Which would get him out of the 8 hole, but is not going to have him hitting cleanup in that lineup. Torre may decide to give Giambi a chance at the 4-hole and see if he stinks it up before moving him down the order. That is all fine and dandy, but I do not see why the opposite approach is not taken and let him ease his way up the lineup as opposed to press to prove he belongs hitting cleanup. Man is going to be taking enough grief from reporters all season, last thing he needs is the pressure of not producing in the 4 or 5 hole to add onto all the other stuff.
TheYanks04
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby Conner » Mon Mar 14, 2005 1:20 am

TheYanks04 wrote:I hope he has a great year. But I am a realist. He has gone downhill the past 2 seasons from an average point of view. He is now off the roids. He is older and plagued by maladies from a gimpy knee to the other roid related stuff. Who knows what he does.

Apparently, you're not a doctor. He doesn't have a "gimpy" knee (not that that'd matter anyway...he's a DH), and is quite healthy otherwise.

It is far more likely he hits 220 than 300. It is also far more reasonable to assume he hits 265-280 with 25 or so Hrs. Which would get him out of the 8 hole, but is not going to have him hitting cleanup in that lineup. Torre may decide to give Giambi a chance at the 4-hole and see if he stinks it up before moving him down the order. That is all fine and dandy, but I do not see why the opposite approach is not taken and let him ease his way up the lineup as opposed to press to prove he belongs hitting cleanup. Man is going to be taking enough grief from reporters all season, last thing he needs is the pressure of not producing in the 4 or 5 hole to add onto all the other stuff.

Does it really matter what you'd rather happen?

No, it doesn't, really.

Giambi will bat 4th/5th....maybe 6th...probably not 7th....definitely not 8th..
Last edited by Conner on Mon Mar 14, 2005 4:24 am, edited 2 times in total.
Conner
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby LBJackal » Mon Mar 14, 2005 1:21 am

TheYanks04 wrote:Giambi go the opposite way to break up the overshift? Now there is an idea presented to him about oh...1 million times in the past couple of years. By just about EVERYONE including the media and the fans.

Yes because the media and fans know a lot more about hitting than jason Giambi... :-°

I've said it before, and I'll say it again. If healthy he'll have a great year.

"Jack, will you call me, if you're able?"

"I've got your phone number written, in the back of my Bible."
LBJackal
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Pick 3 Weekly Winner

Postby blankman » Mon Mar 14, 2005 1:55 am

I'd like to see Giambi start out 5th. There's no way I can justify anyone but Jeter, Alex and Sheffield hitting ahead of Matsui. The man has become a fantastic ballplayer.

Giambi 5th followed by Posada sounds good to me. If he struggles, I think he could move down to 7th, but no lower.

Jeter
Alex
Sheffield
Matsui
Giambi
Posada
Bernie
Tino
Womack
blankman
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Graphics Expert

Postby Strasil42 » Mon Mar 14, 2005 3:14 am

blankman wrote:I'd like to see Giambi start out 5th. There's no way I can justify anyone but Jeter, Alex and Sheffield hitting ahead of Matsui. The man has become a fantastic ballplayer.

Giambi 5th followed by Posada sounds good to me. If he struggles, I think he could move down to 7th, but no lower.

Jeter
Alex
Sheffield
Matsui
Giambi
Posada
Bernie
Tino
Womack

this is the perfect order and the way it should be for opening day. ;-D

It is far more likely he hits 220 than 300.

do steroids help hand eye cordination and making contact with the baseball?
Strasil42
General Manager
General Manager

Postby Conner » Tue Mar 15, 2005 7:05 pm

By the way......Giambi batted cleanup again today....

D Jeter SS
A Rodriguez 3B
G Sheffield RF
J Giambi DH
H Matsui LF
B Williams CF
J Posada C
A Phillips 1B
T Womack 2B
Conner
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor