Interesting H2H strategy - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Interesting H2H strategy

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby Havok1517 » Mon Mar 14, 2005 12:20 am

This guy in my league sorta does the opposite. He loads up on heavy hitter and closers, then rotates starters with favorable matchups throughout the week. He won the league last year because the people he played didn't block his pickups like I did when I played him. But without doing that and picking successful starts (hard to do)he lived off FA with decent matchups (ie Lima's 13 wins) It really is a pretty good strategy.
Havok1517
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe Writer
(Past Year: 116)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Agree

Postby j_d_mcnugent » Mon Mar 14, 2005 10:39 am

its a gimmick strategy and while i have never personally seen it in action yet (i will this year though), i dont think it will work. the pitching is good but not dominant. his speed is good but not dominant. like you said, he would have been wise to grab pods or even dave roberts. he will have some decent weeks but over the course of the whole season he will probably be about .500.

a guy in my league is trying it. he went with pitchers with his first nine picks and while he has just two closers (which isnt enough) his starters are way better than this guys. he also didnt do a good job of getting steals so he will stink unless he makes some trades. the side effect though was that since this guy had a bunch of stud pitchers it makes my staff go from pretty good to rock solid when compared to the rest of the teams in the league. so he shot himself in the foot by not getting enough saves or steals and it benefits me as long as he hordes good starters.

i always prefer a well rounded team to a gimmick strategy. gimmick strategies can sometimes work, but i wouldnt go into the draft with that idea. i would only try to implement it if my draft stunk or injuries forced me to try it as a last ditch effort.
back from the dead
j_d_mcnugent
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe Ranker
Home Cafe: Baseball

Previous

Return to Baseball Leftovers