calling all H2H vets... - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

calling all H2H vets...

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

calling all H2H vets...

Postby Cooner » Sun Mar 13, 2005 5:03 pm

ok, this may seem like a silly question, but having never played in a H2H league, I could use some advice...

What are common pitching strategies in 7x7 H2H (holds and K/BB)? I ask because I'm putting together my VORP projection rankings, and am trying to figure out about how many starters, closers, and middle relievers will be taken in a 12 team league with 8 pitchers of any type starting and 5 bench spots for position players and pitchers. I'm sure some teams will more or less punt holds and saves, and some will possibly be rotating starters, etc etc, but I have no idea what is commonly done.

Thanks ;-D

edit: there is a minimum innnings requirement as well
Last edited by Cooner on Sun Mar 13, 2005 5:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Cooner
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby quietstorm » Sun Mar 13, 2005 5:14 pm

One tip: Avoid inconsistent pitchers. While their stats may reach a safe equillibrium over time in a standard roto/point leage (one bad outing countered by a shutout, or something thereabouts), a pitcher who blows up in one game may lose the week for you.
Your wisemen don't know how it feels to be thick as a brick...
quietstorm
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Re: calling all H2H vets...

Postby Irish » Sun Mar 13, 2005 5:31 pm

Cooner wrote:ok, this may seem like a silly question, but having never played in a H2H league, I could use some advice...

What are common pitching strategies in 7x7 H2H (holds and K/BB)? I ask because I'm putting together my VORP projection rankings, and am trying to figure out about how many starters, closers, and middle relievers will be taken in a 12 team league with 8 pitchers of any type starting and 5 bench spots for position players and pitchers. I'm sure some teams will more or less punt holds and saves, and some will possibly be rotating starters, etc etc, but I have no idea what is commonly done.

Thanks ;-D

edit: there is a minimum innnings requirement as well

Since holds count and K/BB forget about getting stud RP's and draft offense. Then in the later rounds get the stud Middle relievers who will still be there. Especially guys like mike Gonzalez and Ray King and Urbina that will possibly become closers.
Irish
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby AcidRock23 » Sun Mar 13, 2005 5:34 pm

I often will check game logs for guys I think I want to try to get. A guy like Brett Myers in 2003 who got shelled vs. Montreal and then shut down the Bosox, is even less useful since you can't 'guesstimate' when he's going to be 'on' and when he's going to be 'off'!
AcidRock23
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe WriterEagle Eye

Postby Apollo » Mon Mar 14, 2005 3:03 am

My favorite strategy in one of these is to punt saves and wait a bit and grab a bunch of holds guys. If you win holds and lose saves every week, it comes out even, and since you can wait longer for guys that get holds (generally), you're at an advantage because you freed up some earlier draft picks.
Apollo
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 1)

Postby sockeye » Mon Mar 14, 2005 3:13 am

AcidRock23 wrote:I often will check game logs for guys I think I want to try to get. A guy like Brett Myers in 2003 who got shelled vs. Montreal and then shut down the Bosox, is even less useful since you can't 'guesstimate' when he's going to be 'on' and when he's going to be 'off'!

This reminds me (painfully) that I had Myers all of 2003 in a H2H.....and basically had him on the bench, waiting for him to become consistent. or at least predictable.
sockeye
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby agchris02 » Mon Mar 14, 2005 3:15 am

my type of league :)

I NEVER draft closers in a league where I dont have to start them. I realize they pile up as many points commonly by the end of the year (last year gagne was our number 5 overall pitcher) BUT, I much prefer predictability. If you dont count innings, I almost always concentrate on taking almost exclusively batters in the first 5-8 rounds unless there is a P i just cant pass up. Then i stock my whole staff with steady reliable pitchers. Then during the year, always play the guys with two starts, and failing that play off of matchups.

Routinely a winning strategy :)
Jackalope
agchris02
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby nuggets » Mon Mar 14, 2005 4:39 am

agchris02 wrote:my type of league :)

I NEVER draft closers in a league where I dont have to start them... Then i stock my whole staff with steady reliable pitchers. Then during the year, always play the guys with two starts, and failing that play off of matchups.

Routinely a winning strategy :)

Would Radke be an example of this to you?
nuggets
General Manager
General Manager

Return to Baseball Leftovers