Help me shut these guys up. - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Help me shut these guys up.

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby ensanimal » Mon Mar 14, 2005 1:33 am

Jack-In-A-Box wrote:
Dice wrote:Team 2 is the best of the three.

However, given the scoring set up, I foresee that there's a team or two out there who has hoarded three or four closers who will do a lot better than you'd expect at first glance. Saves are pretty powerful in this league.

Indeed sir you are correct. I play on CBS with the same scoring as the above mentioned Fatguy. Last year we had one guy go all closers and ran away with the prize. W/S are equal points so a closer could get as many as say 6 saves a week.. SP if he has only one game and it happens to be a bad week will just kill you in H2H. This year I've gone with 4 closers and 3 stud SP'ers and am gonna try the balanced attack and see how it comes out. Mostly using 2 games starters is another strat that is widely used to devalue your no.1 picks of SP. In this scoring system Closers are the clear choice to having a great team if you are gonna draft pitchers early on. This year I chose to go for hitting more early on as I took hitters in 4 of the 1st 6 rds. Team 2 may look good on paper but from my own expierence over the past 4 years on CBS a team with more closers will most likely end up winning just because of how the scoring actually is.

but i'd say that those extra points from saves, can be offset by getting 2 points per inning from your starters. load up on inning eaters and you're set.
ensanimal

CafeholicFantasy ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeHockey ModPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 113)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Jack-In-A-Box » Mon Mar 14, 2005 1:48 am

I thought same thing last year. Schmidt, Hudson, Livan, Prior were my starting pitchers and I thought i was set. Injuries to almost all of them spelled my doom. Closers are easier to replace if injured because you can usually just pick up the next in line and keep going. SP studs whom you've used early round picks on are not easy to replace. Closers will win that league. Gagne on one night getting a save and striking out the side will get 15pts. A starter going 7inning getting 8k's giving up 3ER and 6H 0BB and no win will get you 16pts and he's done for the week. Gagne may get another 2,3 or 4 saves that same week. Trust me 4 years in this same scoring.. closers are clearly at the advantage.
Jack-In-A-Box
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby agchris02 » Mon Mar 14, 2005 3:13 am

I dont know, i play in a cbs and points league, team 2 may have an edge, but not a huge one, lets break it down

Lopez (1) > Mauer (2)
Texiera (1) > Lee
Giles (2) > Loretta (1)
Mora = Beltre (you can bicker if you want, but i think beltre is over rated)
rollins = izturis (both could use help here)
Alou = Drew (bonds v. injuries)
Manny (2) > Lee (1)
Ichiro(1) > Sheffield (2)
Oritz (1) > Chavez (2)

Just looking at hitting, team one seems to have a clear edge. Even if it is a slight edge, it still is there.

PITCHING:
(tried to pair reasonably)

Schilling < Santana
Prior < Oswalt
Foulke = Mussina
Brown > Perez
Guardado Halliday
Westbrook > Escobar
Miller > Pineiro

Team 2's aces are better aces, but they are still studs. Team 2's pitching IS better, but not heads and above better. (I realize santana, oswalt and moose seems unfair, but so does schilling prior and foulke in a league where its points)

I think team 2 has a SLIGHT edge, but he's one injury or one great season away from losing off to 1.

(team 3 is the worst)
Jackalope
agchris02
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby nuggets » Mon Mar 14, 2005 5:01 am

I like team one. It has more impact players. And team #2 has loaded up on SP which will change, come and go throughout the year. This is a mistake because there is no closer.

Rough sketch on my precieved "impact" players:

Ortiz
Ichiro
Teixeira
Lee
Mora
Javy/Kendall
Schill
Prior - Durability?

=8

Johan
Manny
Beltre?
Chavez
Sheff - injuries
Halladay - overrated
Drew - injuries
Giles

= 5 or six the way I see it.

Thome
Rolen
Crawford
Pedro
Mulder - durability
Mota - ?
Takatsu
Berkman - ?
Guillen - ?

=6 or 7

I look at Javy more than Halladay on your draft commmet, FatGuy. I think they both have had the best seasons they ever will but a quality hitting catcher is more valueable than a Hallday the way I see it.
nuggets
General Manager
General Manager

Previous

Return to Baseball Leftovers