Question about Sigs.... - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to General Talk

Question about Sigs....

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Question about Sigs....

Postby RynMan » Sun Mar 13, 2005 6:51 am

Hey guys. Been trying to attach a new image to my sig and it comes up saying it cant be over 10000bytes. I have attached larger images than that previously and had no problems. Can any1 explain what im doing wrong or how you all manage to have an image on there under 10000bytes? I have used the [img]url[/img] command.
RynMan
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerAward-Winning Graphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Mercer Boy » Sun Mar 13, 2005 7:02 am

Hmm, funny this would be mentioned (inside joke). ;-)

Cafe signature size limits are supposed be under 10240 bytes. You shouldn't have been able to use larger ones than that before anyway. Most (well, dang near all the time if you're dealing with a signature of at least 300x100 pixels) times when creating a signature, you have to "optimize" the JPEG file in order to make it fit. Optimizing reduces the quality of your images slightly, but it makes them smaller to reduce loading time (mainly for the dialup user). If you (or whoever does your signatures) use Photoshop, by using the "Save For Web" command you can optimize your images. Just fiddle around with the settings until it is under 10KB in size. Normally, this is accomplished by dragging the quality bar to around 40 (Medium) instead of 80 (High).

If it's still too big, either lower the quality bar more (not recommended because the pictures will look really bad), take some of your artwork out, blur the background more, or reduce the overall size of the image (easiest way).

I hope that helps you out. There are probably other threads in the Fantasy Logos forum that can help you out. ;-D

If you need further help, just post the link to your image, and I can optimize it for you. ;-D
The One, The Only, The Incomparable Mercer Boy.
MySpace blog (updated 6/21 - Pirates walkout.)
Mercer Boy
General Manager
General Manager

Eagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Football

Postby RynMan » Sun Mar 13, 2005 7:19 am

Thanks Mercer, got it. I claim to be a photoshop expert, yet have never used the "save for Web" command. crazy! Its an excellent feature. I couldnt find a way to get the file under 10k without it becomeing too distorted, but somehow that command does it very nicely. Thanks!! :-D
RynMan
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerAward-Winning Graphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Mercer Boy » Sun Mar 13, 2005 7:25 am

Ah ha! I see it now... 8-o

Generally, optimizing distorts backgrounds and lettering which keeps your foreground image relatively untouched. In that signature, the background is basically a solid color...that really makes it easy to optimize with little data loss.

Have fun! ;-D
The One, The Only, The Incomparable Mercer Boy.
MySpace blog (updated 6/21 - Pirates walkout.)
Mercer Boy
General Manager
General Manager

Eagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Football

Return to General Talk