Kerry Wood - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Kerry Wood

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Kerry Wood

Postby bmd » Sun Mar 13, 2005 5:37 am

What's everyone's thoughts on him after his latest injury? Can he be counted on to pitch the full season or will this be another season where he gets shut down again for a month or two? Right now they are saying that his shoulder injury isn't serious (bursitis). Is this just a bump in the road during spring training?

Any thoughts would be appreciated.
bmd
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Football

Postby Phatferd » Sun Mar 13, 2005 6:21 am

I could be wrong, but didn't they say Prior would start in a week last spring, the thing was that week lasted about 4 months. The Cubs kept saying Prior's injury wasn't series he would miss 1 start, then the next week would come. We are gonna sit him for 1 more start, and it kept going for a few months.

Especially for a pitcher, I stay away from injury risks.
Phatferd
General Manager
General Manager

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby AcidRock23 » Sun Mar 13, 2005 8:52 am

Wood has had this sort of issue every year for the last couple of years. I certainly HOPE it's 'no big deal' and that he plays a full season but it's not enough to draft him for as an early round prospect.
AcidRock23
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe WriterEagle Eye

Postby pokerplaya » Sun Mar 13, 2005 1:10 pm

It's worrisome, yes. Wood hasn't been the picture of health, but I think he will still be the starter opening day.

In theory, that would be a good idea. But was RJ an injury risk in 2003? He would have hurt you if you had drafted him then, after very few problems before hand. In that vein, is he any less of an injury risk now, considering he has no cartiledge in his knee?

I assume you didn't draft Schmidt or Santana then last year. And you might have drafted someone like Halladay.

My point is that while certain people are more injury riddled than others, players will get injured even if they haven't been injured in the past. And those pitchers who have spent some time on the DL, drop lower than they should because too many people are afraid of them going back onto the DL.

Last year, because I threw caution to the wind, and picked the best available pitchers, I ended up with Schmidt, RJ, and Santana on one staff.

By all means, be weary of those who can't seem to stay of the DL, but don't let them drop too far, and don't be suprised if you draft a typically "healthy" pitcher and they missed significant time.
pokerplaya
Kitchen Staff
Kitchen Staff

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 9)

Postby Iconoclastic » Sun Mar 13, 2005 3:54 pm

Wood's a 5th rounder to me.
Iconoclastic
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby pokerplaya » Sun Mar 13, 2005 5:07 pm

Iconoclastic wrote:Wood's a 5th rounder to me.

Sounds about right. ;-D
pokerplaya
Kitchen Staff
Kitchen Staff

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 9)

Postby Woolly » Sun Mar 13, 2005 5:09 pm

Iconoclastic wrote:Wood's a 5th rounder to me.

I think I will let him slide a little farther than that. I am not too big on having my 5th round picks leave me high and dry with injury.
Woolly
College Coach
College Coach

Postby SOUTHSIDE HITMEN » Sun Mar 13, 2005 6:42 pm

I thought I learned my lesson last picking a pitcher early (Mussina 3rd and Hallady 4th) and I go ahead and draft Zambrano in the 4rd round and Wood in the 5th round, I had the #2 in a 12 team draft. Being a Sox fanI was getting a lot of grief from all my Sox fan buddies when I told them I had 2 cubbies on my squad. My plan was to trade Wood right after the draft but now I just hope he's healthy long enough to trade his ass. :-o
SOUTHSIDE HITMEN
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Phatferd » Sun Mar 13, 2005 8:48 pm

pokerplaya wrote:It's worrisome, yes. Wood hasn't been the picture of health, but I think he will still be the starter opening day.

In theory, that would be a good idea. But was RJ an injury risk in 2003? He would have hurt you if you had drafted him then, after very few problems before hand. In that vein, is he any less of an injury risk now, considering he has no cartiledge in his knee?

I assume you didn't draft Schmidt or Santana then last year. And you might have drafted someone like Halladay.

My point is that while certain people are more injury riddled than others, players will get injured even if they haven't been injured in the past. And those pitchers who have spent some time on the DL, drop lower than they should because too many people are afraid of them going back onto the DL.

Last year, because I threw caution to the wind, and picked the best available pitchers, I ended up with Schmidt, RJ, and Santana on one staff.

By all means, be weary of those who can't seem to stay of the DL, but don't let them drop too far, and don't be suprised if you draft a typically "healthy" pitcher and they missed significant time.

Maybe I should have re-worded my statement. I don't mind taking as much of a risk on a pitcher in round 6-7 and on, but in the top 5 rounds I am a bit more conservative with pitchers.

Even with that said, I am really thinking of stealing Prior in the 2nd round this year of my draft.
Phatferd
General Manager
General Manager

Postby quietstorm » Sun Mar 13, 2005 9:01 pm

In theory, that would be a good idea. But was RJ an injury risk in 2003? He would have hurt you if you had drafted him then, after very few problems before hand.

If you ever want to know whether or not somebody is a Mariners' fan, you look for comments like this. Unit did have problems before '03. He had back problems when he was younger, with the M's. That's one of the reasons we dumped him ;)
Your wisemen don't know how it feels to be thick as a brick...
quietstorm
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers