Over Rated/Under Rated - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Over Rated/Under Rated

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Over Rated/Under Rated

Postby tlef316 » Wed Dec 04, 2002 1:17 pm

these are my top over/underated fantasy players, who do you guys think fit here?

Overrated -

Ichiro - he went in the first round or 2 in most leagues, most likely for stolen bases and average. but he only hit .320, and guys like bobby abreau and mike cameron swiped more, and give u more power.

Underrated - Garret Anderson - produces every year, i think the secret might be out. more RBI then guys named sosa, bonds and vlad
welcome home andy
tlef316
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Mock(ing) Drafter
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby tallmike » Wed Dec 04, 2002 3:38 pm

My long winded perspective.

Ichiro is an interesting choice but I'm not sure which year is the really Itchy. Not ready to write him off yet and he contributed awesome numbers last year - maybe just not as far ahead of the others as expected. I also think that Garret is probably a year removed from under rated - especially given the Angels' win - not likely to sneak him through as a sleeper and I know he went for full value in our auction last year. My suggestions with my clear AL bias.

I think Mike Sweeney gets forgotten a bit. Huge average, good power and rbi's and a few steals - if he is healthy all year he will be a monster and he's forgotten in the AL's Montreal - KC. beltran is another small market underrated in my book.

Manny Ramirez with his injuries is sometimes under-rated from my perspective. If he stays healthy all year look out.

You mention Mike Cameron whose average scares people off will be 30/30 this year and contribute to any fantasy team.

My favourite pick up who has been a cheap contributor to my AL roto team the last two years is Scott Speizio. Cost me less than $5 and contributes nicely - middle of the pack guy who didn't take a mid round pick or mid level money - but unlikely to be a secret this year.

I think the Billy Koch-like inconsistency reduces the standing of Ramon Ortiz and takes a toll on your confidence but he contributed well last year and should continue to do so - especially in a K league.

Over-Rated.

Shannon Stewart is a one who seems to have more than he contributes to a roto team and that doesn't even take into consideration his meagre arm.

Jermaine Dye is regularly paid more than he produces.

Raul Mondesi - even George thinks so now.

Bernie Williams is the exact centre fielder I'd want if I had a real team - the Theo Epstein Fantasy. In roto though I don't think he warrants the value he usually gets.

I love Eric Milton but he just doesn't seem to be able to take that next step that people draft/pay him for every year. Probably similar degree of over-rating for his battery mate Brad Radke.

People don't expect much of James Baldwin any more but even those cautious optimists are continuously disappointed.

Usually any hot rookie is in this category. Roto dreamers keep hoping to pull a Soriano but more frequently pay to much for Blalock. I myself was Angel Berroa ed last year but only to the tune of $3 and may have a keeper for this spring???? See its incurable.

Poor old "Four surgeries in one day" Rusty Greer used to fall in this category but he's likely done now.
tallmike

Mock(ing) Drafter

Postby Decack » Mon Dec 23, 2002 7:01 am

I can attest to at least one underrated: Brian Giles. Iv'e had this guy on my team for the last two years. First year, I traded Chuck Finley and Greg Maddux (who I hate, being a Cub fan) for Phil Nevin and Giles. I was extremely impressed with Giles and last year was still able to get him in something like the 8th or 9th round (rediculous). I don't know if that will translate to this year but the guy is still much better than people give him credit. Name his protection the last two years (Kendall, Ramirez?) and he still hits .315 and 35 or so dingers.

One pick for overrated woud be Rafael Furcal. The guy isn't too impressive to me. There are 8 SS's I would take before him in the upcoming draft. Not enough dingers, SB's are not that much better than several SS's who contribute more in other categories. He's also starting to show signs of being on the brittle side.

Another overrated to me is Jason Kendall. He's also 9th on my list for his position. Kendall doesn't produce home runs or rbi's and his strong points (SB's, hits) don't make up the difference.
Decack
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Mock(ing) Drafter

Postby trevisc » Mon Jan 06, 2003 1:16 pm

Most overrated:

Carlos Delgado

Most underrated:

Frank Thomas
trevisc
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe Ranker
Location: Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2004,2005 Keeper League Champion

Postby Gaucho » Mon Jan 06, 2003 4:39 pm

overated
Derek Lowe

underated
Ray Durham
Gaucho

Home Cafe: Football
Friendliness: %

Postby D-Buc » Mon Jan 06, 2003 4:46 pm

overated: Is anyone more bark than bite than Jeter?

under: AJ Burnett
"Dat's what dis team's all about: playin' defense and breakin' hearts."---Torii Hunter, 2002
D-Buc
College Coach
College Coach

Postby Pogotheostrich » Mon Jan 06, 2003 5:07 pm

overrated: Jason Kendall

underrated: Freddy Garcia
Pogotheostrich
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 389)

Postby trevisc » Tue Jan 07, 2003 7:41 am

i have to agree about Freddy Garcia. Why is everyone so down on him? I plan on drafting him if I can.

B-)
trevisc
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe Ranker
Location: Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2004,2005 Keeper League Champion

Postby Arlo » Tue Jan 07, 2003 11:26 am

I also really don't understand why Garcia doesn't get nearly the (fantasy) respect he should...

As to the underrated list, shouldn't that include just about every decent player who plays in Montreal, Kansas City, Pittsburgh, Minnesota, etc.? :-)
Arlo
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby GDaversa » Thu Jan 09, 2003 1:32 am

i say after last season freddy garcia was overrrated, he just fell out but this year juan gonzalez was underrated he was the mvp remember this people, injury free = production, we just have to hope he stays healthy
GDaversa
College Coach
College Coach

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers