Soriano...0/16...should I worry? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Soriano...0/16...should I worry?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby wrveres » Sun Mar 13, 2005 3:36 am

Well if this keeps up, I'd say in about two weeks, right before the saason starts, it would be a good time to try and trade for Soriano. Its probably the cheapest you will get him all season ;-)
25                "Love the Padres"
Rafael

Dodgers FAIL|Mets FAIL|Canada FAIL
wrveres
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe Musketeer
(Past Year: 761)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby so0perspam » Sun Mar 13, 2005 3:37 am

wrveres wrote:Well if this keeps up, I'd say in about two weeks, right before the saason starts, it would be a good time to try and trade for Soriano. Its probably the cheapest you will get him all season ;-)

Exactly. ;-D
ImageImage
so0perspam
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Mock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe Musketeer

Postby HOOTIE » Sun Mar 13, 2005 4:46 am

0/16 or 16/16, who cares? It's meaningless for the most part. I don't even follow spring stats. I don't want to cloud my judgement for my drafts.
Smells Like Teen Spirit
HOOTIE
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 297)
Location: Pearl Jam country, right next door to Nirvana, Soundgarden, and Alice in Chains.

Postby Juhlz » Sun Mar 13, 2005 10:37 pm

Let me show you what BP's book has to say about Soriano:

[quote="BaseballProspectus2005"]Probably the single most overrated player in baseball. Yes, it's interesting and axciting that he can hit a pitch two feet down and in over the fence. But what the hell is he doing swinging at it in the first place?

sorry, you lost me at "axciting"

I try to avoid paralysis by analysis and projections or not, to me the bottom line is his value as a second basemen and numbers he has put up in the not so distant past make him a solid late first rounder. He is young and plays in a hitters park with a solid cast around him. What's the big debate, I don't get it. It's not like he hits .250
Juhlz
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby LBJackal » Sun Mar 13, 2005 10:56 pm

Do that trade in a second. Soriano more or less equals Crawford in value, and Giles is far and away better than Buehrle (though I do like him as a pretty good sleeper this year).

"Jack, will you call me, if you're able?"

"I've got your phone number written, in the back of my Bible."
LBJackal
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Pick 3 Weekly Winner

Postby TheYanks04 » Sun Mar 13, 2005 10:57 pm

Hmmmm.....

18 sbs...77 runs...91 rbis...280 avg

Absolutely first round material over the likes of Schmidt, Abreau, Manny, Helton, Santana, Chavez, Schilling, Sheffield, Bonds and many others.

Heck, why wouldn't you want to pay a 1st round premium for Soriano considering someone like Kent last season posted:

.289 27/107/96 7 SBs

or Giles in only 379 ABs:

.311 8/48 61 runs 17 SBs (1 less Sb than Soriano in only 379 ABs...almost as many runs).

I would definitely bypass Tejada and Manny and Abreu and Helton and Schilling and Schmidt and all those guys for the truely elite 2b that is Soriano. Those numbers in a hitter park are just too much to pass up.
TheYanks04
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby quietstorm » Mon Mar 14, 2005 3:18 am

Juhlz wrote:Let me show you what BP's book has to say about Soriano:

BaseballProspectus2005 wrote:Probably the single most overrated player in baseball. Yes, it's interesting and axciting that he can hit a pitch two feet down and in over the fence. But what the hell is he doing swinging at it in the first place?

sorry, you lost me at "axciting"

I try to avoid paralysis by analysis and projections or not, to me the bottom line is his value as a second basemen and numbers he has put up in the not so distant past make him a solid late first rounder. He is young and plays in a hitters park with a solid cast around him. What's the big debate, I don't get it. It's not like he hits .250

LOL... sorry... that's what happens when I copy that from the book without looking at the screen. ;)
Your wisemen don't know how it feels to be thick as a brick...
quietstorm
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby quietstorm » Mon Mar 14, 2005 3:20 am

TheYanks04 wrote:Hmmmm.....

18 sbs...77 runs...91 rbis...280 avg

Absolutely first round material over the likes of Schmidt, Abreau, Manny, Helton, Santana, Chavez, Schilling, Sheffield, Bonds and many others.

Heck, why wouldn't you want to pay a 1st round premium for Soriano considering someone like Kent last season posted:

.289 27/107/96 7 SBs

or Giles in only 379 ABs:

.311 8/48 61 runs 17 SBs (1 less Sb than Soriano in only 379 ABs...almost as many runs).

I would definitely bypass Tejada and Manny and Abreu and Helton and Schilling and Schmidt and all those guys for the truely elite 2b that is Soriano. Those numbers in a hitter park are just too much to pass up.

Soriano's only better than Abreu by about $2-3, on the basis of his higher AB totals. I'm not such a fan of banking on a player being more valuable due to 650 AB instead of 575...
Your wisemen don't know how it feels to be thick as a brick...
quietstorm
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby nuggets » Mon Mar 14, 2005 5:07 am

The last two years an owner drafted Soriano 1st and 2nd overall. Since then I have reffered to him as "Sorryano"
nuggets
General Manager
General Manager

Postby io » Mon Mar 14, 2005 7:45 am

Soriano isn't lucky.. he's uncanny .... for some reason, his best pitch to hit is about 10 feet outside the strikezone... i know he swings and misses at it alot, but when he gets a hold of one, the ball flies.....

also, he said that he didn't work out at all during the off-season because he was worried about his leg. sounds like he's gonna get off to a slow start , maybe during the season too .... but he'll catch up. if he can stay healthy he should be fine
io
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Previous

Return to Baseball Leftovers