Soriano...0/16...should I worry? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Soriano...0/16...should I worry?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby wrveres » Sun Mar 13, 2005 3:36 am

Well if this keeps up, I'd say in about two weeks, right before the saason starts, it would be a good time to try and trade for Soriano. Its probably the cheapest you will get him all season ;-)
25                "Love the Padres"
Rafael

Dodgers FAIL|Mets FAIL|Canada FAIL
wrveres
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe Musketeer
Posts: 31778
(Past Year: 761)
Joined: 2 Mar 2003
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby so0perspam » Sun Mar 13, 2005 3:37 am

wrveres wrote:Well if this keeps up, I'd say in about two weeks, right before the saason starts, it would be a good time to try and trade for Soriano. Its probably the cheapest you will get him all season ;-)


Exactly. ;-D
ImageImage
so0perspam
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
Mock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe Musketeer
Posts: 8653
Joined: 17 Dec 2003
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Bay Area

Postby HOOTIE » Sun Mar 13, 2005 4:46 am

0/16 or 16/16, who cares? It's meaningless for the most part. I don't even follow spring stats. I don't want to cloud my judgement for my drafts.
Smells Like Teen Spirit
HOOTIE
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
CafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe Ranker
Posts: 15115
(Past Year: 297)
Joined: 12 Jan 2003
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Pearl Jam country, right next door to Nirvana, Soundgarden, and Alice in Chains.

Postby Juhlz » Sun Mar 13, 2005 10:37 pm

Let me show you what BP's book has to say about Soriano:

[quote="BaseballProspectus2005"]Probably the single most overrated player in baseball. Yes, it's interesting and axciting that he can hit a pitch two feet down and in over the fence. But what the hell is he doing swinging at it in the first place?

sorry, you lost me at "axciting"

I try to avoid paralysis by analysis and projections or not, to me the bottom line is his value as a second basemen and numbers he has put up in the not so distant past make him a solid late first rounder. He is young and plays in a hitters park with a solid cast around him. What's the big debate, I don't get it. It's not like he hits .250
Juhlz
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

User avatar

Posts: 616
Joined: 2 May 2003
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: San Diego, CA

Postby LBJackal » Sun Mar 13, 2005 10:56 pm

Do that trade in a second. Soriano more or less equals Crawford in value, and Giles is far and away better than Buehrle (though I do like him as a pretty good sleeper this year).
Image

"Jack, will you call me, if you're able?"

"I've got your phone number written, in the back of my Bible."
LBJackal
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
Pick 3 Weekly Winner
Posts: 9196
Joined: 1 Jul 2003
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: The Hotel Yorba

Postby TheYanks04 » Sun Mar 13, 2005 10:57 pm

Hmmmm.....

18 sbs...77 runs...91 rbis...280 avg

Absolutely first round material over the likes of Schmidt, Abreau, Manny, Helton, Santana, Chavez, Schilling, Sheffield, Bonds and many others.

Heck, why wouldn't you want to pay a 1st round premium for Soriano considering someone like Kent last season posted:

.289 27/107/96 7 SBs


or Giles in only 379 ABs:

.311 8/48 61 runs 17 SBs (1 less Sb than Soriano in only 379 ABs...almost as many runs).


I would definitely bypass Tejada and Manny and Abreu and Helton and Schilling and Schmidt and all those guys for the truely elite 2b that is Soriano. Those numbers in a hitter park are just too much to pass up.
TheYanks04
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero


Posts: 9531
Joined: 12 Dec 2003
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby quietstorm » Mon Mar 14, 2005 3:18 am

Juhlz wrote:Let me show you what BP's book has to say about Soriano:

BaseballProspectus2005 wrote:Probably the single most overrated player in baseball. Yes, it's interesting and axciting that he can hit a pitch two feet down and in over the fence. But what the hell is he doing swinging at it in the first place?


sorry, you lost me at "axciting"

I try to avoid paralysis by analysis and projections or not, to me the bottom line is his value as a second basemen and numbers he has put up in the not so distant past make him a solid late first rounder. He is young and plays in a hitters park with a solid cast around him. What's the big debate, I don't get it. It's not like he hits .250

LOL... sorry... that's what happens when I copy that from the book without looking at the screen. ;)
Your wisemen don't know how it feels to be thick as a brick...
quietstorm
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

User avatar

Posts: 758
Joined: 10 Feb 2005
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby quietstorm » Mon Mar 14, 2005 3:20 am

TheYanks04 wrote:Hmmmm.....

18 sbs...77 runs...91 rbis...280 avg

Absolutely first round material over the likes of Schmidt, Abreau, Manny, Helton, Santana, Chavez, Schilling, Sheffield, Bonds and many others.

Heck, why wouldn't you want to pay a 1st round premium for Soriano considering someone like Kent last season posted:

.289 27/107/96 7 SBs


or Giles in only 379 ABs:

.311 8/48 61 runs 17 SBs (1 less Sb than Soriano in only 379 ABs...almost as many runs).


I would definitely bypass Tejada and Manny and Abreu and Helton and Schilling and Schmidt and all those guys for the truely elite 2b that is Soriano. Those numbers in a hitter park are just too much to pass up.

Soriano's only better than Abreu by about $2-3, on the basis of his higher AB totals. I'm not such a fan of banking on a player being more valuable due to 650 AB instead of 575...
Your wisemen don't know how it feels to be thick as a brick...
quietstorm
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

User avatar

Posts: 758
Joined: 10 Feb 2005
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby nuggets » Mon Mar 14, 2005 5:07 am

The last two years an owner drafted Soriano 1st and 2nd overall. Since then I have reffered to him as "Sorryano"
nuggets
General Manager
General Manager

User avatar

Posts: 3342
Joined: 14 Mar 2005
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby io » Mon Mar 14, 2005 7:45 am

Soriano isn't lucky.. he's uncanny .... for some reason, his best pitch to hit is about 10 feet outside the strikezone... i know he swings and misses at it alot, but when he gets a hold of one, the ball flies.....

also, he said that he didn't work out at all during the off-season because he was worried about his leg. sounds like he's gonna get off to a slow start , maybe during the season too .... but he'll catch up. if he can stay healthy he should be fine
io
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

User avatar

Posts: 486
Joined: 18 Oct 2004
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: lala's land

Previous

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 8 guests

Forums Articles & Tips Sleepers Rankings Leagues


Today's Games
Monday, Sep. 1
(All times are EST, weather icons show forecast for game time)

Philadelphia at Atlanta
(1:10 pm)
NY Mets at Miami
(1:10 pm)
indoors
Boston at Tampa Bay
(1:10 pm)
indoors
Minnesota at Baltimore
(1:35 pm)
Pittsburgh at St. Louis
(2:15 pm)
Milwaukee at Chi Cubs
(2:20 pm)
Seattle at Oakland
(4:05 pm)
Detroit at Cleveland
(4:05 pm)
San Francisco at Colorado
(4:10 pm)
Arizona at San Diego
(4:10 pm)
Texas at Kansas City
(8:10 pm)
Washington at LA Dodgers
(8:10 pm)

  • Fantasy Baseball
  • Article Submissions
  • Privacy Statement
  • Site Survey 
  • Contact