Soriano...0/16...should I worry? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Soriano...0/16...should I worry?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Soriano...0/16...should I worry?

Postby quicksilver8 » Sat Mar 12, 2005 6:51 pm

Alfonso Soriano was my first pick in a mixed 12 team 5x5...(I had like the 10 th pick...) I am getting cold feet because he is sucking like a vacuum this spring. What is everyone projecting from Soriano this season.
I need steals on my team...should I offer Buehrle and Soriano for Marcus Giles and Carl Crawford?

If so, do you think it is a fair offer that could be accepted?
quicksilver8
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby so0perspam » Sat Mar 12, 2005 6:53 pm

Shouldn't have drafted him in the first place .... he is one majorly overrated and overhyped player. I'd definitely do that Crawford/Marcus Giles trade.
ImageImage
so0perspam
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Mock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe Musketeer

Postby warrick95 » Sat Mar 12, 2005 6:54 pm

It's spring training...everybody's just getting into shape. Soriano's streaky as hell, anyway, so hopefully he's just getting the bad streak out of the way.

I doubt anybody would accept that trade. If you could do it, I would do it regardless of Soriano's status.
warrick95
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Woolly » Sat Mar 12, 2005 6:55 pm

I think Soriano should be fine. I suspect that Giles is going to be a big disappointment this season for fantasy owners that thought he could keep up with Soriano as the best 2B in the game.
Woolly
College Coach
College Coach

Postby KolbSaves » Sat Mar 12, 2005 6:56 pm

warrick95 wrote:It's spring training...everybody's just getting into shape. Soriano's streaky as hell, anyway, so hopefully he's just getting the bad streak out of the way.

I doubt anybody would accept that trade. If you could do it, I would do it regardless of Soriano's status.

;-D
"If I have seen further it is by standing on the shoulders of giants."
-Isaac Newton
KolbSaves
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Strasil42 » Sat Mar 12, 2005 7:01 pm

do that trade
Strasil42
General Manager
General Manager

Postby baseballboy » Sat Mar 12, 2005 7:04 pm

Soriano is a stud (not over-rated but the best at his position) and Buehrie is very solid. Don't buy into the 0-16 start - keep what you have ;-)
baseballboy
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 1)

Postby pokerplaya » Sat Mar 12, 2005 7:32 pm

If you get someone to accept that, do it. They won't though, so don't worry. (And I hate Marcus Giles).

Don't worry about Soriano. If he is healthy, he will perform. You should be monitoring the situation with his hammy, because if he is completely healthy, he will rake.

As has been mentioned, he is streaky as hell. So don't worry about the 0/16. Similarly, if he was 10/16 with 4hr's, don't think he is going to hit .350 with 50hrs. He will end up around .290 35hrs 100rbis/20-25sb's. Not too shabby for a 2B. Good late 1st round material. ;-D
pokerplaya
Kitchen Staff
Kitchen Staff

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 9)

Postby Pogotheostrich » Sat Mar 12, 2005 7:35 pm

I'm going to echo what has already been said. Soriano will be fine but if you can get someone to make that trade with you I would take it.
Pogotheostrich
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 353)

Postby quietstorm » Sat Mar 12, 2005 7:42 pm

warrick95 wrote:It's spring training...everybody's just getting into shape. Soriano's streaky as hell, anyway, so hopefully he's just getting the bad streak out of the way.

Poor math. Just because the roulette wheel lands red ten times in a row doesn't mean it's any less likely to keep landing red. Batting is the same way; if a player sucks for the first few months of the season, it doesn't make him any more likely to do better the rest of the way.

Soriano is so streaky because he relies on luck. He swings at everything, so his rate stats (AVG, OBP, SLG) are all tied directly to how well the fielders on the other team are doing, and how lucky he is with where the ball drops.

That said, Soriano is overhyped. His ISO has dropped two years in a row, and I don't expect him to rebound. His idiocy at the plate is finally catching up to him. Yes, he's still better than anybody at his position, but that doesn't make him the stud that people assume.
Your wisemen don't know how it feels to be thick as a brick...
quietstorm
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers