Batista..New Closer. - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Toronto Blue Jays

Batista..New Closer.

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Batista..New Closer.

Postby go_jays_go » Sat Mar 12, 2005 10:02 am

The jays have announced that they will no longer have Batista as their number 3 starter, as they are moving him to the bullpen in the role of the Blue Jay's Closer. That terminates speier's value so if no one in your league has grabbed him, I would do so right away! ;-D

As for the Rotation when he is gone they are bringing in southpaw youngster Gustavo Chacin. Hes got electric stuff. The new rotation should look something like this:

Halladay
Lilly
Bush
Towers
Chacin

Any thoughts on this move? :-)
go_jays_go
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerSweet 16 Survivor
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Mookie4ever » Sat Mar 12, 2005 11:03 am

This is something that I think that the Jays have wanted to do for a long time. It hinged on Bush's health. Once he was pronounced healthy the dominoes fell. Bush in rotation, Batista to pen, Chacin to rotation and Spieir and Frasor as set up men.

JP and Gibbons are praying like hell that this works or at least that Batista can hold out until League is ready.

I like the move for the time being but it's not really a long term solution.
Mookie4ever
Head Moderator
Head Moderator

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterHockey ModBasketball ModFootball ModMatchup Meltdown ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 280)

Postby go_jays_go » Sat Mar 12, 2005 11:40 am

This is something that I think that the Jays have wanted to do for a long time. It hinged on Bush's health. Once he was pronounced healthy the dominoes fell. Bush in rotation, Batista to pen, Chacin to rotation and Spieir and Frasor as set up men.

JP and Gibbons are praying like hell that this works or at least that Batista can hold out until League is ready.

I like the move for the time being but it's not really a long term solution.

I agree :-) League is an awesome pitcher, and when he is ready to come up to the majors he'll be great. He has a promising arm and should take the job from Batista when ready. If the jays do intend on using League later on, other teams may be interested in Batista if he is successful during the time he is closer. Maybe Colarado, Milwaukee, or even Washington ( if cordero faulters )
go_jays_go
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerSweet 16 Survivor

Postby kimchi_chigae » Thu Mar 17, 2005 3:04 am

i think "el artista" was quite decent as the closer last year...he should be alright...i was a bit surprised to find out that he is 34 already though...

i was actually hoping frasor would get another shot, but his meltdown last year was too much for the jays to have him as #1 option at the beginning of the season, but i'm glad it's not speier...he scares me...a lot.

if other teams would be interested in batista if he succeeds as the closer...not really sure...i think he's signed until 06 and not a cheap contract...for a closer...but you never know...JP made the yankees take mondesi...he can make someone else take batista. ;-)
Free WR!
kimchi_chigae Beginner
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 200)

Return to Toronto Blue Jays