Should i pick a-rod or vlad? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Should i pick a-rod or vlad?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Should i pick a-rod or vlad?

Postby Howie » Sat Mar 12, 2005 3:58 am

these are my two choices. 6x6 h2h league, standard cats, plus obp. thanks in advance.
Howie
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicFantasy Expert
(Past Year: 6)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Phatferd » Sat Mar 12, 2005 4:10 am

Take Vlad, if you look at ARODs numbers over the past 3 years they have gone down in almost every category. His biggest asset was that he played SS, he no longer does. His SB have gone up which is a good thing, but his numbers have consistantly gone down. If you look at trends then be concerned.

I shouldn't say concerned he is still a good player, but I don't think he is a number 1 pick anymore or even a number 5....if you want similar numbers take an Abreu he will hit 10-15 pts higher with 20 more SB....
Phatferd
General Manager
General Manager

Postby The Jury » Sat Mar 12, 2005 4:17 am

A-Rod is definitely worthy of #1 overall consideration, contrary to what the previous poster wrote.

I'd take Vlad in this case, he's hit for a better OBP than A-Rod over the years, and he's a beast in almost every category ;-D
[quote:4fef447375="Geek"]The odds of the AL MVP coming from the American League are looking pretty good.[/quote]
The Jury
General Manager
General Manager

Postby Phatferd » Sat Mar 12, 2005 4:25 am

Phatferd wrote:Take Vlad, if you look at ARODs numbers over the past 3 years they have gone down in almost every category. His biggest asset was that he played SS, he no longer does. His SB have gone up which is a good thing, but his numbers have consistantly gone down. If you look at trends then be concerned.

I shouldn't say concerned he is still a good player, but I don't think he is a number 1 pick anymore or even a number 5....if you want similar numbers take an Abreu he will hit 10-15 pts higher with 20 more SB....

I'm sorry I wouldnt take a 285 hitter with decreasing power numbers number 1 :-?

Second, you can find 3B this year with equal numbers or better numbers than AROD. He wasn't even the best 3Bman last year, Rolen and Beltre were better.

Why take AROD over a Beltran or Abreu? They put up very similar numbers and I would argue even better numbers than AROD.
Phatferd
General Manager
General Manager

Postby davus » Sat Mar 12, 2005 12:10 pm

Phatferd wrote:
Phatferd wrote:Take Vlad, if you look at ARODs numbers over the past 3 years they have gone down in almost every category. His biggest asset was that he played SS, he no longer does. His SB have gone up which is a good thing, but his numbers have consistantly gone down. If you look at trends then be concerned.

I'm sorry I wouldnt take a 285 hitter with decreasing power numbers number 1 :-?

Second, you can find 3B this year with equal numbers or better numbers than AROD. He wasn't even the best 3Bman last year, Rolen and Beltre were better.

Why take AROD over a Beltran or Abreu? They put up very similar numbers and I would argue even better numbers than AROD.

I would take A-Rod's 24 more SB's over Rolen's slightly better average and injury concerns (missed significant time 4 of his 9 full seasons). Heck even without the injury concerns SB's are too valuable to not consider A-Rod with 25+ SB potential to be more valuable. Beltre has still not proven himself to me either. I know he has the skills but it will take more than one year for me to bank on him and put him ahead of A-Rod.

That said, I would take Vlad over him this year espeically including OBP. ;-D
davus
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby curious_george_43545 » Sat Mar 12, 2005 12:51 pm

Vlad
curious_george_43545
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby ajgnydc722 » Sat Mar 12, 2005 1:03 pm

Vlad but Phatferd doesn't know what he's talking about with A-Rod.
ajgnydc722
General Manager
General Manager

Postby CubsFan7724 » Sat Mar 12, 2005 1:10 pm

I think it would be folly to take anyone over Vlad besides Pujols. Arods steals wont be as high as 28, and Vlad will steal more as his back gets further away from the injury. Should steal in the 15-20 range, only a few less than Arod, and will beat him in the other categories (besides possibly runs)
CubsFan7724
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Pick 3 Weekly Winner

Postby Phatferd » Sat Mar 12, 2005 1:24 pm

ajgnydc722 wrote:Vlad but Phatferd doesn't know what he's talking about with A-Rod.

Am I not correct in saying he is a .285 hitter with power numbers decreasing every year for the past 3 years? I would like to think you are the one who doesn't knows what he is talking about.

HOMER :-t
Phatferd
General Manager
General Manager

Postby ajgnydc722 » Sat Mar 12, 2005 1:30 pm

Phatferd wrote:
ajgnydc722 wrote:Vlad but Phatferd doesn't know what he's talking about with A-Rod.

Am I not correct in saying he is a .285 hitter with power numbers decreasing every year for the past 3 years? I would like to think you are the one who dpesn't knows what he is talking about.

HOMER :-t

Homer? I just said I'd take Vlad over him. Not to mention davus agreed and he's not a Yankee fan. I don't even especially like A-Rod, but I know he's definately a good consideration for the number 1 or 2 pick.

A-Rod got off to a horrible start last year. He was pressing. Everyone presses when they come to New York. A-Rod had a down year and still put up spectacular numbers.

A-Rod will hit 40-42 homeruns, drive in 115-125 runs, score 110-120 runs, bat around .295 and steal 20 bases.

Those numbers blow Abreu out of the water.
ajgnydc722
General Manager
General Manager

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers