Do We Give Billy Beane to much credit? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Do We Give Billy Beane to much credit?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby Lofunzo » Mon Mar 14, 2005 3:43 pm

looptid wrote:
Lofunzo wrote:
GotowarMissAgnes wrote:
Lofunzo wrote:
You may think so but the name of the game is winning. There are a lot of people that swear by his beliefs yet it has never won a championship. I reiterate that I refuse to bunch the Sox with them. I don't see how people can swear by him when he can't get out of the 1st round. You'd think that with that staff, they would have done it at least once. I'm not saying that he's bad. I'm just saying that between the books and the people swearing by him, I think that's a bit much when his success isn't that great when you look at the overall results rather than the relative results.

Depends on what you mean by "the overall results". I see a team that has many fewer resources being the second winningest team in baseball as being much more of an important factor in "the overall results" than a couple of series in October. You don't. There's too much randomness involved in a short series to give that so much weight, in my opinion.

I am giving him credit for doing what he can do to remain competitive with limited resources. I am just adding that it only goes so far. People make him out to be a God when his methods show you how to remain competitive but not win championships.

Are you Joe Morgan? And what's with the strawman arguement? I don't think anyone in this thread has said he's God among GMs. And name me one general manager that won a playoff series (not just the general manager of a team that won a playoff series).

Huh?? I'm not Joe Morgan and I'm not touching the strawman thing. You know what I meant about a GM winning a series. If no one has said that he is God in this thread, it has been said in countless others. If not exactly, then very close.
Lofunzo

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerEagle EyeHockey ModPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 11)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Previous

Return to Baseball Leftovers