Do We Give Billy Beane to much credit? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Do We Give Billy Beane to much credit?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Do We Give Billy Beane to much credit?

Postby Kelly Gruber » Sat Mar 12, 2005 3:38 am

Sure, he makes his dollars go a long way, but out of the big 3 he resigned by far the worst in Barry Zito. Having said that, I do have some faith in Beane (for many reasons, such as achieving Foulke's potential, the big 3, etc.), and I did draft Zito. What are your thoughts on his season? Like the last 2 years or more like Cy Young form?
An unanswered question is better than an unquestioned answer
Kelly Gruber
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Phatferd » Sat Mar 12, 2005 4:14 am

Angel fan here I hate the A's, and think Beane is overrated as a whole, but I agree with his trades this offseason. To an extent that is.

I think he could have gotten more for those 2 pitchers, even though he got some good young arms, he could have done better.

With that said, I think he traded those 2 (yes, they were the best 2) because knew if he only keeps 1 and say it was Hudson who is the best, they still don't have a chance. So he traded the 2 best so he could get the MOST BACK in return to reload this team for a 4-5 year stretch after this season.
Phatferd
General Manager
General Manager

Postby quietstorm » Sat Mar 12, 2005 4:26 am

Zito should have been traded a few years ago... now he's not worth enough to trade.
Your wisemen don't know how it feels to be thick as a brick...
quietstorm
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby looptid » Sat Mar 12, 2005 7:43 am

Branch Rickey would certainly agree with Beane's moves. It is much better to trade a player a year too early than a year too late.

Zito is also set to make the least amount of money among the big three this season. Zito gave an interview on Sportscenter where he said Beane had told him after trading the first of the big three that Zito wouldn't be moved because his contract was the smallest.

Different GMs have different strengths and weaknesses. Beane may not be among the very, very best in scouting and evaluating talent, but no other GM recogonizes and exploits market inefficiencies as well as Beane does.

Beane got a hell of a lot when you consider he was in a buyer's market. The teams he dealt with knew he needed to move those two pitchers before they became free agents next season to maximize long-term value for the Athletics, who weren't going to pay to keep Hudson and Mulder during their peak salary years.
looptid
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby RynMan » Sat Mar 12, 2005 9:56 am

If you think Beane could have gotten more for those guys I think you are half right. I think Hudson, yes. Mulder, no way in hell. Beane traded the right players. He got rid of the one guy who he knew they couldnt afford in Hudson, and the other guy who just downright stank after the AS break to the point that it was scary. If St Louis offered me a package that include a top setup man, one of the most touted prospects in the low minors, and a guy that will be better than Mulder this year (Dan Haren), how could you NOT pull the trigger? Zito is the only guy out of those three who's K rate actually improved last year.

Beane doesn't get too much credit. Year in and year out he makes a contender out of a team that has minimal funding.
RynMan
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerAward-Winning Graphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye

Postby SHOCKandAWE » Sat Mar 12, 2005 10:02 am

I will be the first person on this board to say that BEANE got WAYYYYYYYY TO MUCH CREDIT!
SHOCKandAWE
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe RankerCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby TB13 » Sat Mar 12, 2005 10:54 am

[quote="SHOCKandAWE"]I will be the first person on this board to say that BEANE got WAYYYYYYYY TO MUCH CREDIT![/quote]
We'll see this year. I have always said he got too much credit. If he did not, one would have thought that the A's could have gotten a round or two furhter just once.
We'll see this year. If Zito stays status quo, Harden takes a step forwad & one of the three 'yutes on the pitching staff shows something as well, that will be a step towards Beane's credibility. If the A's bomb out this year, then it has all been Hudson, Mulder, & Zito in their youth.
TB13
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby RynMan » Sat Mar 12, 2005 11:21 am

TB13 wrote:
SHOCKandAWE wrote:I will be the first person on this board to say that BEANE got WAYYYYYYYY TO MUCH CREDIT!

We'll see this year. I have always said he got too much credit. If he did not, one would have thought that the A's could have gotten a round or two furhter just once.
We'll see this year. If Zito stays status quo, Harden takes a step forwad & one of the three 'yutes on the pitching staff shows something as well, that will be a step towards Beane's credibility. If the A's bomb out this year, then it has all been Hudson, Mulder, & Zito in their youth.

That is the most ridiculous thing that I have heard. You are gonna base Beane's credability on what happens THIS season? I can tell you now, the trades that Beane made weren't because he was making a run THIS year. He got young, cheap, and talented players. You guys dont seem to understand this is how to A's have to do business. Year in year out they have guys come in that leave 3 or 4 years later cuz they can't afford them. If this organization were run by anyone else besides John Shuerholtz (spelling), they would be the kansas city royals.
RynMan
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerAward-Winning Graphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye

Postby KULCAT » Sat Mar 12, 2005 11:22 am

Why does everybody think Mulder is done? Haren better than Mulder this year? You know Mulder is not the first pitcher to go to bad second half. Doesnt mean he can back to normal, as ma mater or fact probability says he will
"Nothing is this world worth remembering was ever accomplished without Pasion"-Hegel
KULCAT
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Fantasy Expert
(Past Year: 6)

Postby TB13 » Sat Mar 12, 2005 11:44 am

[quote="RynMan]You are gonna base Beane's credability on what happens THIS season? [/quote]
As far as Beane's goes, here is my thinking. For years he has been the golden boy. Personally I have no problem with him getting lauded. But his "Little Train that could" got overhyped. They had a boatload of talent. The pitchers, Tejada, Chavez, an unreal Giambi, etc. Yet they could never put it all together in the playoffs. Seems to me that Beane's genius stopped in games that count. Please do not point to them getting beat by the Yankees becuase other teams beat the 'Yanks.
Beane was getting lauded for drafting talent (and rightfully so), but it is possible that all of his laurels rested on getting the Big 3. Maybe I did not make my point clear earlier.
TB13
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers