Who's gonna hit 50 hrs this year? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Who's gonna hit 50 hrs this year?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby Amazinz » Sat Mar 12, 2005 7:14 pm

I wouldn't go so far to suggest they're smoking crack ;-) but I'd have to agree that 50 by Arod in Yankee Stadium is unlikely IMO.
Maine has a good swing for a pitcher but on anything that moves, he has no chance. And if it's a fastball, it has to be up in the zone. Basically, the pitcher has to hit his bat. - Mike Pelfrey
Amazinz
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Phatferd » Sat Mar 12, 2005 8:45 pm

Someone posted something in an AROD topic on here today that I hadn't heard before and it was really interesting. I think the number was 40, anyway no right hander has hit 40HR in Yankee stadium in 1 year since Joltin' Joe.

Makes you think. The ball dies in LF there.
Phatferd
General Manager
General Manager

Postby Jack-In-A-Box » Sun Mar 13, 2005 9:38 pm

I'll agree with the picks already been mentioned but, sleeper 50 canidates are as follows for me.. Sheff- If the shoulder isnt a problem again. And I love the Sexson pick as well.
Jack-In-A-Box
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby Juhlz » Sun Mar 13, 2005 10:39 pm

rick ankiel :-D
Juhlz
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby The Jury » Sun Mar 13, 2005 10:49 pm

crapshooter wrote:IF they really check for the steroids...NOBODY will hit 50

No one comes close to Bonds, but in my opinion, Helton is one of the next in line in terms of being similar to Barry.

I make this comparison in that they both hit for a crazy average, and a large percentage of their hits are for extra bases.

I'd say the main difference besides the fact that Barry is one in his own is that he's got more power than Todd.

To be clear though, Barry is alone in any comparisons :-D
[quote:4fef447375="Geek"]The odds of the AL MVP coming from the American League are looking pretty good.[/quote]
The Jury
General Manager
General Manager

Postby Tavish » Sun Mar 13, 2005 11:07 pm

Jack-In-A-Box wrote:Sheff- If the shoulder isnt a problem again.

I would be in complete shock if Sheffield hit 50. He hasn't really come dangerously close of breaking the mark before and he is in a stadium that isn't all that kind to RHH.
Tavish
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterWeb Supporter
(Past Year: 25)

Postby Jack-In-A-Box » Mon Mar 14, 2005 1:08 am

Tavish wrote:
Jack-In-A-Box wrote:Sheff- If the shoulder isnt a problem again.

I would be in complete shock if Sheffield hit 50. He hasn't really come dangerously close of breaking the mark before and he is in a stadium that isn't all that kind to RHH.

Well, I would be somewhat surprised as well I gotta say. But everyone has mentioned the most likely sources, I figured if he can hit 36 HR's with a bad shoulder imagine the possiblities if its 100%. He's my darkhorse 50HR'er guy. Could spell MVP for him this year if it happens to. Plus, I drafted him this year so I'm somewhat biased. :-D
Jack-In-A-Box
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby LBJackal » Mon Mar 14, 2005 1:18 am

Kelly Gruber wrote:Don't forget about Helton - he's at the point in his career where he should start hitting a ton of homers. And now it looks like he may have some protection again in the line up with Preston Wilson ...

What's with the Helton infatuation? I've noticed it in another thread too. He's hit 30, 33, and 32 HR the past 3 years which have all been full healthy seasons. He's not a big-time fantasy player any more, and barely makes my top 12. And the Rockies lineup being pretty much AA/AAA players along with an injured Preston Wilson. Theonly other player who has more than a season of experience is Dustan Mohr :-P

I'd say Pujols has the best shot, followed by Beltre.

"Jack, will you call me, if you're able?"

"I've got your phone number written, in the back of my Bible."
LBJackal
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Pick 3 Weekly Winner

Postby Jack-In-A-Box » Mon Mar 14, 2005 1:39 am

LBJackal wrote:I'd say Pujols has the best shot, followed by Beltre.

Beltre, I've seen his name a few times in this thread. I'm still somewhat skeptical of him. For years he's come and gone on my teams and last year I say nope not this year will he be on my team. He then blows up. Coulda been for the $$ but for me to be a firm believer in him it's gonna have to be for more than 1 year. I hope he does because it could be good news for the Sexson, Boone owners who would see alot better stuff with the fear of Beltre in the lineup. Not sure if he handles the move to AL 1st year either is another reason I dont see him even approaching the numbers he put up last year.
Jack-In-A-Box
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby pokerplaya » Mon Mar 14, 2005 2:11 pm

My sleeper pick would be Juan Pierre. Outside shot to Rey Ordonez, if he gets back to the bigs.
pokerplaya
Kitchen Staff
Kitchen Staff

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 9)

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers