Pitchers in the first 2 rounds?? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Analyze/Rate My Team

Pitchers in the first 2 rounds??

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Pitchers in the first 2 rounds??

Postby Free Bagel » Fri Mar 11, 2005 11:18 pm

Well, I kinda of went out on a limb in my money league roto 12 team 5x5 draft and took pitchers in the first two rounds (8-o). How's my team look? Think I'm a contender?

C - Estrada
1B - D. Lee
2B - Castillo
SS - Uribe
3B - Blaylock
OF - Huff
OF - C. Lee
OF - Rowand
Util - Giambi
BN - Burnitz
BN - Izturis
BN - Freel

SP - Santana
SP - Schmidt
SP - Smoltz
RP - Nathan
RP - Dotel
P - Leiter
P - C. Cordero
P - Borowski
BN - Alfonseca
BN - Tavarez
Free Bagel
College Coach
College Coach

Home Cafe: Football

Postby yanks#27 » Sat Mar 12, 2005 12:52 am

Hitting: Good to Great, watch Rowand, potential all star if at center. A lot of people sleep on Castillo but I have faith in him, Blalock will probably repeat, Giambi in my view (strictly my view) should be able to rebound and have 30-35 Hrs. 80-120 RBIs and a decent AVG, it's all about his health and mental situation. Lee will produce big as a main power man with the Brewers.

Pitching:Great then falls to Good. You at least need another SP, all you have is Santana and Schmidt (dam good)....but then Leiter. C'mon guy, trade a closer like Dotel for Pavano or someone else. Look for someone who needs a closer desperatly.
New York Yankees 2005 Champs
yanks#27
College Coach
College Coach

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Free Bagel » Sat Mar 12, 2005 1:21 am

yanks#27 wrote:Pitching:Great then falls to Good. You at least need another SP, all you have is Santana and Schmidt (dam good)....but then Leiter.

Leiter is my #4, I have Smoltz as my #3.
Free Bagel
College Coach
College Coach

Postby phikapdl » Sat Mar 12, 2005 1:57 am

pretty decent team but try dangling Dotel for another SP...you have closer depth and every year it's a gamble with closers anyways
Baseball is the only field of endeavor where a man can succeed three times out of ten and be considered a good performer. --Ted Williams
phikapdl
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby firstclassfastball » Sat Mar 12, 2005 2:07 am

Your team looks pretty good, but those guys were right about your pitching dropping off after 1 and 2. Personally im not really buying into this whole Santana in the first round of every draft, I just have a bad feeling about him coming off a Cy Young year, not that hell have a bad year but i just dont think he will produce as much as your first round pick should. But you never know, I could be absolutly wrong.
firstclassfastball
College Coach
College Coach

Postby Free Bagel » Sat Mar 12, 2005 3:39 am

I thought for sure the knock would be on my hitting, not starting pitching. I was actually considering trading one of my starters.

My #3 and #4 are Smoltz and Leiter, hardly anything to fall off the mound over especially with the guys I'll have going in front of them. Smoltz makes his triumphant return to the starting role and Leiter has had an ERA below 3.5 like 6 out of the last 7 years or something like that.

Other #3/#4 combos around the league are the likes of:
-Escobar/Arroyo
-od. perez/wells
-Penny/Greinke
-Maddux/Weaver
-Radke/Marquis
-Buerhle/Bonderman
-Ortiz/Wolf

etc etc.

Now I think Smoltz/Leiter are just as good, if not better than any of those combos there. Add into the fact that the guys they're backing up are far and away better than any other #1/#2 combo out there, and I see starting pitching as a whole as a major strength of the team, not weakness.
Free Bagel
College Coach
College Coach

Postby AtP » Sat Mar 12, 2005 7:02 am

Bagel: I agree about your pitching. I think you are fine there. You have two of the top 6 pitchers in the league in Santana and Schmidt. If Leiter has anything left in pitcher friendly Florida and Smoltz can make the convesion back to SP you should be fine with pitching. In a 12 team combo league I think you can compete.
Baseball is a marathon, not a sprint.
AtP
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Return to Analyze/Rate My Team