Julio vs Ryan - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Julio vs Ryan

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby GotowarMissAgnes » Thu May 19, 2005 3:42 pm

bleach168 wrote:Hehe..

If you guys are comparing Ryan to Gagne, you're getting a tad carried away. Gagne never had a whip over 0.91 as a closer. Ryan's currently at 1.17. Big difference there. The interesting thing about Ryan is that his whip against righties is 1.22. His whip against righties was 1.48 last year, and 1.58 for his career. So Ryan is definately doing better against righties this year. That's the key to his success so far and something which I will admit I didn't see coming.

I do find it curious that I am the one who has to defend his pre-season predictions. Should I be honored? Or am I that hated? :-D

No, I just happened to be watching TV the other day and heard something about the Astros, followed by BJ closing down another O's win and that reminded me of our bet. Since it's close to 1/4 of the season done, I thought I'd check things out.

You can probably find lots of stupid things I predicted, too. Generally, you'll find threads like this pop up at key points in the season (1/4 done, ASB, etc.)
GotowarMissAgnes
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy Expert
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Yoda » Thu May 19, 2005 3:54 pm

GotowarMissAgnes wrote:
bleach168 wrote:Hehe..

If you guys are comparing Ryan to Gagne, you're getting a tad carried away. Gagne never had a whip over 0.91 as a closer. Ryan's currently at 1.17. Big difference there. The interesting thing about Ryan is that his whip against righties is 1.22. His whip against righties was 1.48 last year, and 1.58 for his career. So Ryan is definately doing better against righties this year. That's the key to his success so far and something which I will admit I didn't see coming.

I do find it curious that I am the one who has to defend his pre-season predictions. Should I be honored? Or am I that hated? :-D

No, I just happened to be watching TV the other day and heard something about the Astros, followed by BJ closing down another O's win and that reminded me of our bet. Since it's close to 1/4 of the season done, I thought I'd check things out.

You can probably find lots of stupid things I predicted, too. Generally, you'll find threads like this pop up at key points in the season (1/4 done, ASB, etc.)

It was very clear that Ryan had real skills coming into the season and he drastically improved the past 3 seasons prior to 05.

He was nothing short of dominant in 04 but people still overlooked him. Correctly identifying players like BJ will help you win your league.
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that." ~George Carlin
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter

Postby LouisC9999 » Thu May 19, 2005 6:54 pm

I picked him because I had to have a high-K reliever and Lidge, K-Rod, and Dotel were already taken.

So I 'settled' for Ryan in round 17.

And I picked Brian Roberts in round 18 because I needed someone who could score runs and steal bases ;-D ;-D ;-D
LouisC9999
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby beltrans_boy » Thu May 19, 2005 7:10 pm

BJ Ryan singlehandedly accounts for my K-less team.
[size=10]"Men are apt to mistake the strength of their feeling for the strength of their argument." [/size]
beltrans_boy
General Manager
General Manager

Postby GotowarMissAgnes » Fri Sep 23, 2005 4:43 pm

Well, bleach, the season is winding down. And, I have to tip my cap to the 'stros. Their offense still stinks, but the pitching pulled them through, not only to a winning record, but maybe even to the playoffs.

On the other hand, Baez has rallied, but I'd still say Ryan was the better pick.

And the A's offense....those of you who questioned my prediction need to own up to the 5th best offense in the AL.
GotowarMissAgnes
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy Expert

Postby George_Foreman » Fri Sep 23, 2005 5:17 pm

i love it when season-old threads get dug up so people can rag on predictions. i think it gives us a good sense of about how much we really do know about this stuff. :-D
"I don't buy everything I read,
I havn't even read everything I've bought"

"I find it more comforting to believe that this [life] isn't simply a test."
George_Foreman
General Manager
General Manager

Postby Yoda » Fri Sep 23, 2005 6:02 pm

George_Foreman wrote:i love it when season-old threads get dug up so people can rag on predictions. i think it gives us a good sense of about how much we really do know about this stuff. :-D

I'm dying for someone to dig up Hafner/Morneau and Arod/Beltran threads.
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that." ~George Carlin
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter

Postby bleach168 » Fri Sep 23, 2005 7:10 pm

GotowarMissAgnes wrote:Well, bleach, the season is winding down. And, I have to tip my cap to the 'stros. Their offense still stinks, but the pitching pulled them through, not only to a winning record, but maybe even to the playoffs.

On the other hand, Baez has rallied, but I'd still say Ryan was the better pick.

And the A's offense....those of you who questioned my prediction need to own up to the 5th best offense in the AL.

Yup, I think Pettitte really surprised people. I'm very pleased with the way the Astros season has turned out.

As for the A's, I never doubted their offense. I did doubt them this year because of their pitching. Zito, Haren, Blanton, Harden, and Street all have ERA's a full point less than I expected. Add a point to the team ERA, and I suspect you get a losing season for the A's.

And here it comes.... drumroll please....

I was wrong about Ryan. Baez has been more than solid, but he still ranks below Ryan.
"And so he spoke, and so he spoke, that lord of Castamere. But now the rains weep o'er his hall, with no one there to hear." - The Rains of Castamere
bleach168
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert
(Past Year: 16)

Previous

Return to Baseball Leftovers