Julio vs Ryan - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Julio vs Ryan

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Julio vs Ryan

Postby stomperrob » Thu Mar 10, 2005 11:57 pm

Who's gonna close in Baltimore??? I heard they wanna keep Julio in that position 'cause Ryan is too valuable as a late-inning leftie, but then they went and grabbed Kline, another leftie reliever so does that mean Ryan is back in the mix???
Still holds the MLB record for Grand Slams with 23
stomperrob
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Football ModPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 Survivor
Home Cafe: Football

Postby bleach168 » Fri Mar 11, 2005 12:09 am

Pay no attention to Kline. He fills Buddy Groom's old spot.

Ryan will be mediocre in the closer's role so if Julio pitches well, Julio will replace Ryan. However, I doubt Julio is going to pitch well. He is awful in non-save situations.
"And so he spoke, and so he spoke, that lord of Castamere. But now the rains weep o'er his hall, with no one there to hear." - The Rains of Castamere
bleach168
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert
(Past Year: 17)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby DominicanLou » Fri Mar 11, 2005 12:12 am

bleach168 wrote:Pay no attention to Kline. He fills Buddy Groom's old spot.

Ryan will be mediocre in the closer's role so if Julio pitches well, Julio will replace Ryan. However, I doubt Julio is going to pitch well. He is awful in non-save situations.

Wow, I can't see why you think Ryan will be mediocre in the closer role. I am fairly sure he would be more succesful than Julio.
DominicanLou
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby bleach168 » Fri Mar 11, 2005 12:14 am

DominicanLou wrote:
bleach168 wrote:Pay no attention to Kline. He fills Buddy Groom's old spot.

Wow, I can't see why you think Ryan will be mediocre in the closer role. I am fairly sure he would be more succesful than Julio.

Ryan had a 1.48 WHIP vs. righties last year. In the closer's role, he'll be facing 90% righties, something he's never had to do in his career.
"And so he spoke, and so he spoke, that lord of Castamere. But now the rains weep o'er his hall, with no one there to hear." - The Rains of Castamere
bleach168
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert

Postby Kingctb27 » Fri Mar 11, 2005 1:34 am

Ryan has much better stuff than Julio, this isn't even close.....
Kingctb27
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Eagle EyeLucky Ladders Champion

Postby curious_george_43545 » Fri Mar 11, 2005 1:45 am

kingctb27 wrote:Ryan has much better stuff than Julio, this isn't even close.....
;-D
curious_george_43545
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby bleach168 » Fri Mar 11, 2005 1:54 am

Disagree. Julio throws harder and has more movement on his pitches.

Ryan has better control and a deceptive delivery that destroys lefties but is ineffective against righties.
bleach168
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert

Postby Kelly Gruber » Fri Mar 11, 2005 3:48 am

That's great news about Ryan; I didn't know that he's not so good against righties! I only drafted 2 closers, so I took Julio and Valverde in the last rounds hoping one or both would get the role, so maybe Julio actually has a decent chance!
An unanswered question is better than an unquestioned answer
Kelly Gruber
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby GotowarMissAgnes » Fri Mar 11, 2005 10:14 am

Bad move. Julio is not only on the outs, he's hurt, too. In addition to Kline, the Orioles added Steve Reed. and have a kid in AAA, Aaron Rakers who could also be given a shot. Finally, they have to keep Matt Riley on the team or risk losing him, and there's talk he may get a shot if Ryan fails and he doesn't make the rotation. So, in short, I think the view on Julio is that we know he's not good enough, so we might as well try other options.

As for Ryan's WHIP against righties, take a look at how many of those hits were singles. Even righties had just 11 extra base hits against him, for a slugging percentage against of just .327 and an OPS against of just .658. That'll work. So, WHIP is really misleading because it ignores that he gives up almost NO homers (or other base hits) to righties.
GotowarMissAgnes
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy Expert

Postby stumpak » Fri Mar 11, 2005 10:26 am

His career splits are not as drastic as last year, but he still gets beat up by righties. I place more credence in this due to the sample size. He clearly has the job at this point, but I am not so high on the guy to be the raging sucess that everyone envisions. People seem to be valuing like he is some sort of sure shot, but that is not the case at all.

The nice thing, however, is that he will at least be getting a crapload of Ks ifhe flounders.
stumpak
General Manager
General Manager

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers