Batista Toronto closer - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Batista Toronto closer

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby DK » Thu Mar 10, 2005 10:26 pm

Lofunzo wrote:
DK wrote:Actually, now that I think about it....

Ricciardi's a Beane disciple. Batista gives up a lot of walks without K'ing too many, and saves are inflated in value among MLB GM's.

Is anyone thinking what I'm thinking?

Maybe a trade in the works?? Who would want him?? 8-o

After 30 saves, a few teams would. Ricciardi knows not to put his best reliever in as the closer... Batista probably won't be his best reliever, a la Billy Taylor/Jason Isringhausen on the A's.
DK
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Lofunzo » Thu Mar 10, 2005 10:35 pm

DK wrote:
Lofunzo wrote:

Ricciardi's a Beane disciple. Batista gives up a lot of walks without K'ing too many, and saves are inflated in value among MLB GM's.

Maybe a trade in the works?? Who would want him?? 8-o

After 30 saves, a few teams would. Ricciardi knows not to put his best reliever in as the closer... Batista probably won't be his best reliever, a la Billy Taylor/Jason Isringhausen on the A's.

Is there any proof that his belief works?? I tend to think not.
Lofunzo

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerEagle EyeHockey ModPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 11)

Postby Mookie4ever » Thu Mar 10, 2005 10:54 pm

I don't think so. Even though Batista is making $3.6 M the Jays team owners (Rogers) announced this offseason (too late to sign Carlos unfortunately) that they have budgeted $210 M for team salaries over the next 3 years. Given that the budget is pretty much fixed for this year, this means a very big increase in budget for the next 2 years.

Even though Riccardi does believe that closers are overvalued, the Jays closer situation has just been ridiculous over the past 2 seasons. They have to do something about stopping the revolving door on the closer job because it is ruining morale. Too many good young arms have lost the job and with it their confidence. I think that Gibbons wants to stick with one good vet.
Mookie4ever
Head Moderator
Head Moderator

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterHockey ModBasketball ModFootball ModMatchup Meltdown ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 277)

Postby jpgretzky15 » Thu Mar 10, 2005 11:42 pm

Thank you guys...still have Gagne but traded Lidge. Have Gagne, Ryan, Adams, Borowski, and now Batista. Thanks for keeping me up to date on the latest moves!
Let's Go Yankees!
jpgretzky15
College Coach
College Coach

Postby BritSox » Thu Mar 10, 2005 11:47 pm

Not to change the subject too much but you'd take Adams over Affeldt then? I have JA in my crappy yahoo rankings team, and MA is available.
BritSox
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicMock(ing) DrafterLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Location: You don't care, do you? No... because you're unconscious.

Postby Mustangs989 » Fri Mar 11, 2005 12:03 am

BritSox wrote:Not to change the subject too much but you'd take Adams over Affeldt then? I have JA in my crappy yahoo rankings team, and MA is available.

Yes I would, although I think both will be pretty good this year ;-D
Mustangs989
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeSweet 16 Survivor

Postby KolbSaves » Fri Mar 11, 2005 3:15 am

Btw, in save situations last year at the end, Batista went 5 for 5 with a 1.5 era and 1.50 whip. I think there's a good chance he'll do better than Adams and Affeldt given that he's allowed to keep the job the whole year, but it's too early to tell how well he'll react to having the position on lockdown early in the season. We could see a Hermanson situation where he's much more effective in closing, or maybe not.
"If I have seen further it is by standing on the shoulders of giants."
-Isaac Newton
KolbSaves
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby LBJackal » Fri Mar 11, 2005 3:23 am

KolbSaves wrote:Btw, in save situations last year at the end, Batista went 5 for 5 with a 1.5 era and 1.50 whip. I think there's a good chance he'll do better than Adams and Affeldt given that he's allowed to keep the job the whole year, but it's too early to tell how well he'll react to having the position on lockdown early in the season. We could see a Hermanson situation where he's much more effective in closing, or maybe not.

Nice try but you can keep him in the Cafe Challenge. Ever tried selling used cars? :-D

The main part of that spiel is the 1.50 WHIP. He wasn't good... he was lucky. He also had a nice 1.75 K/BB ratio.

"Jack, will you call me, if you're able?"

"I've got your phone number written, in the back of my Bible."
LBJackal
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Pick 3 Weekly Winner

Postby KolbSaves » Fri Mar 11, 2005 3:28 am

LBJackal wrote:
KolbSaves wrote:Btw, in save situations last year at the end, Batista went 5 for 5 with a 1.5 era and 1.50 whip. I think there's a good chance he'll do better than Adams and Affeldt given that he's allowed to keep the job the whole year, but it's too early to tell how well he'll react to having the position on lockdown early in the season. We could see a Hermanson situation where he's much more effective in closing, or maybe not.

Nice try but you can keep him in the Cafe Challenge. Ever tried selling used cars? :-D

The main part of that spiel is the 1.50 WHIP. He wasn't good... he was lucky. He also had a nice 1.75 K/BB ratio.

The three previous years he posted whips under 1.33 so I think he could have the stuff to translate well to closing- it just depends on how he handles the role. Hermanson wasn't blowing people out of the water before they put him in the closer's role and he was solid. Affeldt wasn't as successful with the conversion last year. As far as trading him, yeah I have the closing staff to do so but I might just want to see if he's going to prove me right and up his stock. It's a gamble, but sometimes you gotta take em right lbj? ;-)
"If I have seen further it is by standing on the shoulders of giants."
-Isaac Newton
KolbSaves
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby LBJackal » Fri Mar 11, 2005 3:37 am

Yeah definately he's worth the gamble, I would have grabbed him for sure if you didn't. But I'm not gonna pay for him like he's the closer all year. I've been trying to think of ways to trade for a closer actually, but I just don't see it happening. All my expendable players don't have as much value to other people as they have to me. Hopefully Boone and Burke will both have good years and I can trade one for a decent closer at some point.

"Jack, will you call me, if you're able?"

"I've got your phone number written, in the back of my Bible."
LBJackal
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Pick 3 Weekly Winner

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers