Closer predictions by July... - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Closer predictions by July...

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby LBJackal » Fri Mar 11, 2005 3:49 pm

I've heard from a reliable source that Gonzo is the man after Mesa. He's been talking to the teams during ST and actually did a few interviews with Lloyd McClendon and a few Pirates players last year.

"Jack, will you call me, if you're able?"

"I've got your phone number written, in the back of my Bible."
LBJackal
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Pick 3 Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Havok1517 » Fri Mar 11, 2005 4:04 pm

Me and most people think that Mesa will implode this year. Any if you look at Pitt their team isn't that bad...

O. Perez
K. Wells
M. Redman
J. Fogg
S. Burnett (injured)

1 Matt Lawton
2 Jack Wilson
3 Jason Bay
4 Craig Wilson
5 Rob Mackowiak
6 Ty Wigginton
7 Benito Santiago
8 Jose Castillo

If Mesa starts blowing any saves I say the soon to be 39 year old is out the door in favor of youngs guns Gonzalez or Snell (minors). Oh, they are fairly deep with lefty bullpen pitching, so that shouldn't be an issue.
Havok1517
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe Writer
(Past Year: 138)

Postby ensanimal » Fri Mar 11, 2005 4:08 pm

ensanimal

CafeholicFantasy ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeHockey ModPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 108)

Postby Mookie4ever » Fri Mar 11, 2005 4:11 pm

Havok1517 wrote:If Mesa starts blowing any saves I say the soon to be 39 year old is out the door in favor of youngs guns Gonzalez or Snell (minors). Oh, they are fairly deep with lefty bullpen pitching, so that shouldn't be an issue.

I'm not so sure about Mesa blowing it.

As for the lefties in the pen - quantity and quality are 2 different things.

Grabow 5.11 ERA and a 1.77 WHIP
Johnston 4.37 ERA and 1.94 WHIP

The only lefty other than Gonz that will make the team is likely Dave Williams. Lefty releivers are very valuable so Gonz is worth a lot to them in the role that he has right now.

I'd like to hear who Jackal's "reliable source" is. In all of the interviews so far McLendon has pretty firmly stated that it's Mesa's job and that both Torres and Gonz are the set up guys.
Mookie4ever
Head Moderator
Head Moderator

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterHockey ModBasketball ModFootball ModMatchup Meltdown ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 268)

Postby LBJackal » Fri Mar 11, 2005 4:23 pm

The reliable source is Jason Grey... I asked "Is Gonzo next in line anyway, or is it Torres?" and he said " Yeah.. it's Gonzo and I wouldn't move him at all."

He's been at ST and talks to coaches/front office people, etc. Same guy taht said Yabu is now in the rotation and Meyer has to earn his spot back. He's mostly been at the Royals and Rangers camps so far, but he says Gonzalez is next in line after Mesa.

"Jack, will you call me, if you're able?"

"I've got your phone number written, in the back of my Bible."
LBJackal
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Pick 3 Weekly Winner

Postby Havok1517 » Sat Mar 12, 2005 12:10 am

any chance Snell moves into contention with a strong ST??? If he doesn't get traded for Byrnes that is.
Havok1517
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe Writer

Postby hybrid » Sat Mar 12, 2005 12:11 am

LBJackal wrote:Love the K/BB ratio :-D

But you have to be careful with minor league RP's... I'm sure you know this Hybrid but just a general caveat to everybody - a lot of times a guy can pitch 1-2 innings at a time with only 1 great pitch in the lower levels, or without stuff that'd be good enough to be a closer at the major league level. Usually to be a MLB closer you need good enough stuff to succeed as a minor league starter.

I'm not familiar with Orvella too much, so I can't say specifically for him if he can succeed as a closer... but not too many pitchers who were RP's in the minors become closers in the majors. The only one I can think of is Chad Cordero, who hasn't been that good so far. Ryan Wagner is another one that comes to mind and he's been a complete bust so far. Luis Ayala on the other hand is a great MLB RP who never started in the minors.

Yeah I know, but Orvella has a low to mid 90's fastball to go with his change up / slider, which I've seen both considered plus pitches. So he has good stuff, it's hard to strike out that many and not have pretty good stuff. Will he succeed, who knows, but he has the best chance to replace Baez as the Rays closer. To think of what he did with out pitching in College, is pretty interesting to say the least.

There are quite a few RP's in the minors who have turned into closers. Some of these guys may have started as SP's in Low A, but spent most of their time as RP's in the minors: Benetiz, Cordero, Ryan, Mota, Looper, Rodriguez, Hoffman, Percival, & Graves.

The RP I listed are expected to be the teams closers this year, in case you are wondering why I listed Mota and Ryan.
Last edited by hybrid on Sat Mar 12, 2005 12:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
hybrid
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert

Postby Havok1517 » Sat Mar 12, 2005 12:20 am

If Baez gets traded my money is still on Colome's high 90's mph to get first shot at closing. Either him or Carter, cept Lou doesn't really like Carter.
Havok1517
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe Writer

Postby hybrid » Sat Mar 12, 2005 12:33 am

Havok1517 wrote:If Baez gets traded my money is still on Colome's high 90's mph to get first shot at closing. Either him or Carter, cept Lou doesn't really like Carter.

He "may" get the first shot, but he doesn't have what it takes to make it as a closer. Oh yeah and to go with him not being able to pitch with runners on, he also is pretty bad against lefthanders. Like I said he is just a power righty arm out of the bull pen, to inconsistent and doesn't know how to pitch to be anything more.
hybrid
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert

Postby Havok1517 » Sat Mar 12, 2005 4:36 am

All Adams owners, what out for Lehr I hear he's got some nasty stuff and may push Adams later this season.
Havok1517
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe Writer

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers