Closer predictions by July... - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Closer predictions by July...

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby LBJackal » Thu Mar 10, 2005 6:23 pm

Well Ayala has been a much better pitcher so far over the past couples years, so if he's been ordinary what has Cordero been? They're trying to turn Cordero, a College closer, into a MLB closer, which I don't think will work too well. Ayala has proven that he can be a great MLB pitcher for 2 seasons. Cordero hasn't even done it for one season; he needs to straighten out his control.

"Jack, will you call me, if you're able?"

"I've got your phone number written, in the back of my Bible."
LBJackal
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Pick 3 Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Cornbread Maxwell » Thu Mar 10, 2005 6:25 pm

New Zealand Fan wrote:This is my forte.

I could have saved Billy Beane millions last season if he had me on the payrole in Jan 2004.

Mota and BJ Ryan will be the closer busts of the year.

Alfonseca and Julio respectively, will take over before the All-Star break.

Keith Foulke will get the most saves in the ML, followed by Danny Kolb.

K-Rod will have the best closer ratios.
Troy Percival will be the best mid tier value closer
Mike Adams will be the best lower tier value closer.

Brad Lidge will spend time on the DL and will not get over 20 saves.

good stuff NZF.
I still really like Ryan, but youve definitely given me something to temper my enthusiasm for him.
Mota I agree with you on - a whole lot of risk in that guy, and if he falters the Marlins made sure they had a plan B and plan C. They will not put up with blown saves this yr in FLA - this is a win now team.
Why do you think Kolb will get so many save opps? I can understand Foulke.
What about Guardado - injury waiting to happen? Whos next in line in SEA?
Cornbread Maxwell
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertPick 3 ChampionSweet 16 Survivor
Home Cafe: Football

Postby Havok1517 » Thu Mar 10, 2005 6:28 pm

A huge injury risk, Everyday Eddie is not everyday in any way. I guess Putz steps up again, he's not really suited to close neither is Shiggy nor Mateo. That why I think they'll make a trade if, I mean when he goes down.
Havok1517
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe Writer
(Past Year: 134)

Postby stumpak » Thu Mar 10, 2005 6:31 pm

I am betting at least a couple to of those happen. How can you say only 1? Every year several so-so closers on bad teams get dealt to be set-up guys on contenders and an additional several crappy closers lose their job regardless. The list above pretty much encompasses all the so-so closers on crappy teams and guys who may lose theoir job due to ineptitude.

Really, the only scenarios above I find implausible are Nathan, Guardardo and Kim, if only because the Rockies won't give a crap about trading prospects for anything by July.
stumpak
General Manager
General Manager

Postby Havok1517 » Thu Mar 10, 2005 6:39 pm

Thanks, I do agree that Kim is the most unlikely. But he is wasting away on Boston's bench and Colorado really needs a closer and he would sure fill the bill. They are are fairly well stocked in the minors. But is it likely that Nathan (a closer for only 1 year) falters in his second year of closing against a stronger AL Central with studs such as Crain (the choosen closer of the future) and maybe Belfour right there, is it possible? Also, is it possible that Guardado goes down again, which he's done what the last 2 years for a certain amount of time, u think that its possible??? I'm just saying that if you have Nathan on your team right now his stock will probably never be higher.
Havok1517
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe Writer

Postby NZF » Thu Mar 10, 2005 6:45 pm

Cornbread Maxwell wrote:
New Zealand Fan wrote:This is my forte.

I could have saved Billy Beane millions last season if he had me on the payrole in Jan 2004.

Mota and BJ Ryan will be the closer busts of the year.

Alfonseca and Julio respectively, will take over before the All-Star break.

Keith Foulke will get the most saves in the ML, followed by Danny Kolb.

K-Rod will have the best closer ratios.
Troy Percival will be the best mid tier value closer
Mike Adams will be the best lower tier value closer.

good stuff NZF.
I still really like Ryan, but youve definitely given me something to temper my enthusiasm for him.
Mota I agree with you on - a whole lot of risk in that guy, and if he falters the Marlins made sure they had a plan B and plan C. They will not put up with blown saves this yr in FLA - this is a win now team.
Why do you think Kolb will get so many save opps? I can understand Foulke.
What about Guardado - injury waiting to happen? Whos next in line in SEA?

2 reasons with Kolb. 1.The Braves always win plenty of games (a lot of them close) so he'll get a stack of opportunities. 2. I drafted him in our Cafe Challenge and I'm an eternal optimist.

Guardado is a risk but if you draft him you take JJ Putz in the last round as well for insurance.
When you're right no one remembers, when you're wrong no one forgets - NZF
NZF
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby quicksilver8 » Thu Mar 10, 2005 6:57 pm

Why is everyone so sure Valverde will get the job in AZ? Aquino did well last year and Valverde probably won't be 100% healthy to start the season. Plus, I owned Valverde last year and he sucked...even when he was healthy. He is a poor man's Mesa: He'll load the bases and allow a run before striking out the side and getting a save. I won't be bidding on Valverde unless he is really, really, super cheap.
quicksilver8
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby GiantFan666 » Thu Mar 10, 2005 7:00 pm

Why do so many hate on Nathan ??? exactly why are you predicting his doom? he has been pretty lights out over the last 2 seasons
GiantFan666
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Pick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 Survivor

Postby Havok1517 » Thu Mar 10, 2005 7:01 pm

FANBALL.COM

THE NEWS

Closer Greg Aquino is taking time off after throwing a side session Tuesday and playing catch Wednesday, according to the Diamondbacks' website. The team physician examined Aquino, who is suffering from a strained flexor muscle, after his side session Tuesday. No problems were found. After a similar injury to pitcher Oscar Villarreal last season, the Diamondbacks are being extra cautious with Aquino.

OUR VIEW

We can't recommend taking Aquino until he proves his arm can handle throwing on the side without pain. Jose Valverde would be the next logical choice if Aquino is unable to close. However, he's recovering from shoulder injury of his own and has been less than stellar this spring. Brian Bruney, Mike Koplove, and Brandon Lyon could all emerge and collectively close games, which is a gross situation. In other words, stay away from the Diamondbacks' closing situation like it has SARS, or at least stay away until they name one closer.

Just one of the reason Valverde gets my vote in Arizona, if anybody gets it.
Havok1517
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe Writer

Postby go_jays_go » Thu Mar 10, 2005 7:55 pm

Can you justify this? :-?
go_jays_go
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerSweet 16 Survivor

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers