Players Tearing Up ST! - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Players Tearing Up ST!

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Players Tearing Up ST!

Postby Lime » Thu Mar 10, 2005 4:20 pm

How many hitters have been as good as Gabe Gross (OF for the Blue Jays) this Spring? Granted, he's only had 6 at bats, but has he ever made the most of them. In 4 games, Gross has 4 homers, he's hitting .625, has a .667 on base, and a 2.125 slugging.

And I wouldn't exactly call it a fluke. Gross is a former 1st round pick who has hit well at every level of the minors. He's still reasonably young too (25). He is worth a flier, but what it really comes down to is how much playing time he gets with the Jays.

Before ST opened up Gross was slated to be playing in Syracuse to start the season, but I can't imagine J.P. Ricciardi having an easy time telling him he's going to AAA. Granted, that AVG/OBP/SLG line obviously won't be the same when the Spring is over, but if Gross is at least consistent he does stand a fighting chance at staying with the big club.
Lime
College Coach
College Coach

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby LBJackal » Thu Mar 10, 2005 4:25 pm

Last year it was Simon Pond lighting up the Jays ST. Who the hell is Simon Pond you ask? That's my point. Gross will be good one day but don't put much stock into ST. I guess it could mean he'll stay up with the big club and possibly unseat Reed Johnson as our 4th OF or DH once Hillenbrand takes over at 1B for Hinske. But if Little Cat is healthy I don't see Gross getting much playing time even if he's the 4th OF.

"Jack, will you call me, if you're able?"

"I've got your phone number written, in the back of my Bible."
LBJackal
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Pick 3 Weekly Winner

Re: Players Tearing Up ST!

Postby Cornbread Maxwell » Thu Mar 10, 2005 4:26 pm

Lime wrote:How many hitters have been as good as Gabe Gross (OF for the Blue Jays) this Spring?

Rondell White. ;-D
Cornbread Maxwell
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertPick 3 ChampionSweet 16 Survivor
Home Cafe: Football

Postby Lime » Thu Mar 10, 2005 4:32 pm

LBJackal wrote:Last year it was Simon Pond lighting up the Jays ST. Who the hell is Simon Pond you ask? That's my point.

There's a reason I pointed out Gross is a 25 year old former 1st round pick. I think what he's doing right now carries a lot more meaning than what 30 year old career minor leaguer Simon Pond did last Spring.
Lime
College Coach
College Coach

Postby LBJackal » Thu Mar 10, 2005 4:37 pm

Lime wrote:
LBJackal wrote:Last year it was Simon Pond lighting up the Jays ST. Who the hell is Simon Pond you ask? That's my point.

There's a reason I pointed out Gross is a 25 year old former 1st round pick. I think what he's doing right now carries a lot more meaning than what 30 year old career minor leaguer Simon Pond did last Spring.

Yeah I know but my point is lots of players who aren't expected to do anything, can shine in ST. Most pitchers aren't trying and are working on mechanics, hitters the same, just trying to get back into the swing of things - no pun intended. When these guys that are playing for a job come in, they're giving it their all as if they're in the middle of a playoff race. When a pitcher is working on mechanics, he might actually pitch to good hitters but he sees a rookie who had a .209 BA last year and thinks, "Hey maybe I'll try out a few of my sliders that have been flat recently".

So for mostly all players, ST stats don't mean anything. Especially 6 AB's. But for Gross I really hope he continues the power hitting into the season because we need it! I'd like to see him in LF, Cat at DH, Hillenbrand at 1B, and Hinske on somebody else's roster.

"Jack, will you call me, if you're able?"

"I've got your phone number written, in the back of my Bible."
LBJackal
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Pick 3 Weekly Winner

Postby The Miner Part 2 » Thu Mar 10, 2005 4:42 pm

Lime wrote:How many hitters have been as good as Gabe Gross (OF for the Blue Jays) this Spring? Granted, he's only had 6 at bats, but has he ever made the most of them. In 4 games, Gross has 4 homers, he's hitting .625, has a .667 on base, and a 2.125 slugging.

And I wouldn't exactly call it a fluke. Gross is a former 1st round pick who has hit well at every level of the minors. He's still reasonably young too (25). He is worth a flier, but what it really comes down to is how much playing time he gets with the Jays.

Before ST opened up Gross was slated to be playing in Syracuse to start the season, but I can't imagine J.P. Ricciardi having an easy time telling him he's going to AAA. Granted, that AVG/OBP/SLG line obviously won't be the same when the Spring is over, but if Gross is at least consistent he does stand a fighting chance at staying with the big club.

plagerism is bad mkay.
The Miner Part 2
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) Drafter

Postby Lime » Thu Mar 10, 2005 4:45 pm

The Miner Part 2 wrote:
Lime wrote:How many hitters have been as good as Gabe Gross (OF for the Blue Jays) this Spring? Granted, he's only had 6 at bats, but has he ever made the most of them. In 4 games, Gross has 4 homers, he's hitting .625, has a .667 on base, and a 2.125 slugging.

plagerism is bad mkay.

If I plagerised I did it from myself. My internet is all screwy so I have to write things on Word, then copy and paste onto message boards.
Lime
College Coach
College Coach

Postby The Miner Part 2 » Thu Mar 10, 2005 4:53 pm

Lime wrote:
The Miner Part 2 wrote:

plagerism is bad mkay.

If I plagerised I did it from myself. My internet is all screwy so I have to write things on Word, then copy and paste onto message boards.

ok youre right, that isnt plagerism. :-t
The Miner Part 2
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) Drafter

Postby Purple Haze » Thu Mar 10, 2005 5:23 pm

All I have to say about Spring Training stats....

ABRAHAM NUNEZ '04 Spring Training... 8-o
Purple Haze
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby quicksilver8 » Thu Mar 10, 2005 7:37 pm

Didn't tuffy rhodes tear it up one spring training and make the Cubs and then hit 4 homers on opening day....and then sucked...and has been tearing it up in Japan ever since? (what a run on sentence).

Some players who have had nice springs that I think are good bets for the season:
Derek Lowe, Carlos Lee, Austin Kearns (please stay healthy!), and Jose Reyes. Obviously these are not sleepers...but it is nice to see them healthy and producing.
quicksilver8
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers