Money Draft - Seeking Some Input and Advice - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Money Draft - Seeking Some Input and Advice

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Money Draft - Seeking Some Input and Advice

Postby OriolesBaseball » Thu Mar 10, 2005 4:18 pm

I've got my first money draft tonight. It's H2H, 12 managers, categories are: H, K, RBI, HR, R, SB, E for offense and W, K, H, SV, ERA for pitchers. Obviously hitters are going to carry more value than pitchers in this league. Now this plan could change depending on where I end up drafting, but I'm thinking about going with 4 offensive players and 1 pitcher for my first 5 rounds, and probably taking that pitcher in round 4 or 5. I feel there are good value pitchers who can be taken late this year. After round 5 I'll stiill take the best player available but only at a position I need. I've thought about position scarcity and I'm not really too worried about it. I'll know at 7:45 what pick I will have and I will probably come back to get some more quick input. But for the time being, I'd love to hear any general suggestions or tips that people might have for me. I'd really like to hear how people would approach the draft for this leauge if you were me. Thanks in advance for the help!
OriolesBaseball
Little League Legend
Little League Legend

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby KolbSaves » Thu Mar 10, 2005 4:31 pm

Daily or weekly transactions?
"If I have seen further it is by standing on the shoulders of giants."
-Isaac Newton
KolbSaves
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Cornbread Maxwell » Thu Mar 10, 2005 5:13 pm

Best advice I can give you is to put your league settings into a value calculator so you can see who is worth what. With those settings I cant even begin to talk about rankings or strategy without looking at that first.

I dont even know of a value calculator that allows you to input Errors, so even that advice wont help you.

I guess I cant really help you with those cats - good luck.
Cornbread Maxwell
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertPick 3 ChampionSweet 16 Survivor
Home Cafe: Football

Postby OriolesBaseball » Thu Mar 10, 2005 6:15 pm

daily transactions.

what do you mean value calculator?
OriolesBaseball
Little League Legend
Little League Legend

Postby Cornbread Maxwell » Thu Mar 10, 2005 6:44 pm

OriolesBaseball wrote:daily transactions.

what do you mean value calculator?

A value calculator actually places a value on each person - usually a dollar amount. This is a much better way to guage how much a player is worth rather than typical rankings. Instead of saying Pujols is the #1 player, and Helton is the #7 player, an actual value will show how much better Pujols is than Helton rather than 6 positions.

You know Orioles, a lot of guys come here looking for advice, and I truly dont mean to offend you in any way, but looking at the league setup and the fact its h2h with daily transactions, there is no way I would donate my hard earned money to play in it - its a luck based format that will favor the guys who churn their rosters daily. I can understand if its a bunch of friends and losing the money isnt that big of a deal - right on - have fun. But, if you are playing with the idea you are going to win your money back or better, you might want to reconsider and join a standard type league. This has absolutely nothing to do with your knowledge of baseball - the smartest people here at the Cafe would have less than a 50% chance of winning that league.

Once again, Im sorry I havent been able to help you more with your questions but I have no idea how errors affect Tejada compared to Jeter.
Cornbread Maxwell
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby OriolesBaseball » Thu Mar 10, 2005 7:52 pm

its only $5, pretty high stakes ;-D Also, me and few other guys just convinved the commish to get rid of errors.
OriolesBaseball
Little League Legend
Little League Legend

Postby looptid » Fri Mar 11, 2005 10:43 am

Cornbread Maxwell wrote:its a luck based format that will favor the guys who churn their rosters daily.

That may or may not be true depending on how the league is set-up. People who dislike head-to-head can't avoid mentioning it, but there are simple steps that can be taken to avoid it. It isn't inherent and inseperable from the format.
looptid
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Cornbread Maxwell » Fri Mar 11, 2005 11:08 am

looptid wrote:
Cornbread Maxwell wrote:its a luck based format that will favor the guys who churn their rosters daily.

That may or may not be true depending on how the league is set-up. People who dislike head-to-head can't avoid mentioning it, but there are simple steps that can be taken to avoid it. It isn't inherent and inseperable from the format.

I agree - but from what Orioles has stated as the league setup - more counting cats, daily transactions, no IP or GP limits - it seems like a churning league. H2H leagues with playoffs do have a greater degree of luck built in with the emphasis placed on the last month of the season.
Cornbread Maxwell
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby Cornbread Maxwell » Fri Mar 11, 2005 11:11 am

OriolesBaseball wrote:its only $5, pretty high stakes ;-D Also, me and few other guys just convinved the commish to get rid of errors.

Sounds like a good time. ;-D

You may have better luck with a value calculator now that errors arent a cat. If you want an edge - just input your league format into this calulator. The projections arent as important as understanding the value of Hs or Ks as an example.

http://excite.rototimes.com/index.php?s ... rojections

Good luck. ;-D
Cornbread Maxwell
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Return to Baseball Leftovers