Bill James says Clutch Hitting May Exist (link provided) - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Bill James says Clutch Hitting May Exist (link provided)

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby thedude » Fri Mar 11, 2005 9:39 pm

there have been Studies preformed by leading psychologists proving that baseball players play different in the pressure situations. (they studied the mechianics of the swing an saw a noticable drop off under pressure (the athele though to much about it)). there is plenty of proof on this stuff written by people who know who atheletes think you just need to look for it.
"I do not think baseball of today is any better than it was 30 years ago... I still think Radbourne is the greatest of the pitchers." John Sullivan 1914-Old athletes never change.
thedude
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 2)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Tavish » Fri Mar 11, 2005 9:43 pm

I think you will have much more luck proving that "un"-clutch hitting exists. Clutch hitters amy very well be those who fall off the least from their normal numbers in pressure situations.
Tavish
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterWeb Supporter
(Past Year: 25)

Postby reiser » Fri Mar 11, 2005 9:46 pm

Tavish wrote:I think you will have much more luck proving that "un"-clutch hitting exists. Clutch hitters amy very well be those who fall off the least from their normal numbers in pressure situations.

well, yeah, that's my belief...and to keep this on topic, why do some stud middle-relievers become very hittable once thrust into the closer role?
reiser
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby AcidRock23 » Fri Mar 11, 2005 10:31 pm

Tavish wrote:I think you will have much more luck proving that "un"-clutch hitting exists.

Sammy *cough cough* Sosa last year *cough cough* :-D :-D

Then, there was the Cubs ABYSMAL clutch pitching, walking in GWRBI several times on a contender (sic) is inexcusable. Sure, it's a long season and it was just a couple of games but, as it turned out, those games might have come in handy in September!! :~( :~(
AcidRock23
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe WriterEagle Eye

Previous

Return to Baseball Leftovers