Show of Hands - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Show of Hands

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Show of Hands

Postby Scroogie » Tue Dec 03, 2002 12:23 pm

Alright then...my first posting on this sight...good to be a part of some "hot stovin'". Now, as indicated, a show of hands is in order...who amongst us wouldn't swap places with Theo Epstein in a heartbeat?? WOW :-) :-) :-) ...28 years of age with 110 million to burn GM-ing THE Boston Red Sox!! Where do I sign up...ahhh, well, I guess that's why we do fantasy baseball...but to do it for real like that...Hmmmmmm...

And what is one of his first moves...hiring Bill James as a consultant with valid and considerable input apparently. The Maverick will have his chance...shows how much Theo and those like him (Billy Beane, Richarddi in Toronto, maybe Hendry with The Cub, if he can keep the Tribune types off his back) are looking to change the "same old" of the Grand Game. We'll see...now who's gonna hire Ron Shandler or John Hunt??
Scroogie
T-Ball Trainer

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Arlo » Tue Dec 03, 2002 1:17 pm

Hi Scroogie - welcome to the Cafe!

Yeah, I think every fantasy player is green with envy. I think the Sox made a good call with Epstein, too. You're right - the only appropriate word is WOW...

The hiring of Bill James is indeed interesting. The idea isn't entirely new (and has had mixed results in the past), but James is by far the most well-known consultant hired in this capacity. I'm certainly rooting for him to succeed. Shandler and Hunt? Hmm... there's an idea. If I were a gm, I might start making some phone calls.
Arlo
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Grenade Teeth » Tue Dec 03, 2002 1:40 pm

Any chance of him doing anything crazy like trading Nomar?
Grenade Teeth
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Mock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly Winner

Postby tallmike » Wed Dec 04, 2002 9:38 am

I'd be surprised if they traded Nomar. These superstar trades rarely bring more talent to help a team win now and I think thats' Theo's mandate.

That said if you never know. I expect him to wait a bit before doing any bold high risk moves that could cause problems. Bold free agent signings or trading away a top prosepect is always lower risk for a new GMs as there is not the attachment to stats and a player who left. Lower perceived cost from fans.
tallmike

Mock(ing) Drafter

Postby Arlo » Wed Dec 04, 2002 9:54 am

I actually do think there's a chance. That chance is pretty slim, though. at least for the time being.

Still, the Red Sox may need to move some contracts in the relatively near future. It'll be interesting to see whether Varitek is in their long-term plans or not.

As for Epstein's next move, I think the Red Sox will make a serious run at Jose Contreras...
Arlo
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Return to Baseball Leftovers