Ideas for Draft Selection Process - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Ideas for Draft Selection Process

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Ideas for Draft Selection Process

Postby Pacman » Thu Mar 10, 2005 10:00 am

Tomorrow, most of the folks in my league are meeting at a restaurant at lunchtime for the draft selection process (our live offline draft is about 2 weeks away).

I'm the commissioner, and will run the proceedings. I'm planning on putting each team name on a card in a sealed blank envelope, then putting all the envelopes in a hat, having folks draw them out. As each envelope is drawn out, I plan to write a number on the envelope (from 12 to 1) then, after all the envelopes are numbered, start opening the envelopes in reverse order (starting with 12) to reveal the draft order.

Sound good? Anyone else have any suggestions on how to liven up what can be a boring draft selection process?

Thanks

peace
Pacman
General Manager
General Manager

Cafeholic
Home Cafe: Baseball

response

Postby bruuno2 » Thu Mar 10, 2005 10:12 am

We just draw cards in order based on where you finished the year before.Other than that its much the same.Just make sure you leave plenty of time to hang out afterwards.Thats the funnest part. ;-D
bruuno2
College Coach
College Coach

(Past Year: 1)
Home Cafe: Football

Postby Mercer Boy » Thu Mar 10, 2005 10:31 am

Well, tonight by 6 PM I have to guess what the Dow Jones Industrial Average will close at on Friday...that should be pretty fun. I'm sure you could do the same thing if you really wanted to. Just have them write down what they think the stock market will be at lunch time (1 or 2 PM or whatever - make sure they give you their guess earlier in the day to stop any funny business). Of course, you'll need to be watching some station that has the average at that time, and you'd have to make sure you say "the first number we see at whatever time" is the one we use.

Heh, sounds pretty complicated, but if you could do it, it would be kind of like watching a horse race at lunch time. ;-D
The One, The Only, The Incomparable Mercer Boy.
MySpace blog (updated 6/21 - Pirates walkout.)
Mercer Boy
General Manager
General Manager

Eagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Football

Postby Minor League Skilz » Thu Mar 10, 2005 11:02 am

Since we are coming on Easter time, you should get twelve plastic eggs. Write 1-12 on pieces of paper, stuff them, and hide them all around the restaurant. Get a few drinks in everyone and then tell them to start running around to find the eggs. I am sure that the restaurant won't mind. :-B

Just be warned, if I actually saw someone doing this I would have to laugh and point some fingers.

Good luck.
Minor League Skilz
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby Pacman » Thu Mar 10, 2005 11:10 am

Minor League Skilz wrote:Since we are coming on Easter time, you should get twelve plastic eggs. Write 1-12 on pieces of paper, stuff them, and hide them all around the restaurant. Get a few drinks in everyone and then tell them to start running around to find the eggs. I am sure that the restaurant won't mind. :-B

Just be warned, if I actually saw someone doing this I would have to laugh and point some fingers.

Good luck.

I actually like this guy!
Pacman
General Manager
General Manager

Cafeholic

Postby RugbyD » Thu Mar 10, 2005 11:24 am

for football we had a cheap little crank-operated bingo ball tumbler that we used. assign a ball to each person and start the tumbling! it worked out alright.
TennCare rocks!!!!
RugbyD
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe Ranker

Postby kev921 » Fri Mar 11, 2005 12:21 am

Basic and simple enough. Since you've elected to be commish and run the draft, you will not have much extra time to help yourself prepare for the draft. I would suggest to find someone to run the draft for you.
kev921
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby free » Fri Mar 11, 2005 12:36 am

Minor League Skilz wrote:Since we are coming on Easter time, you should get twelve plastic eggs. Write 1-12 on pieces of paper, stuff them, and hide them all around the restaurant. Get a few drinks in everyone and then tell them to start running around to find the eggs. I am sure that the restaurant won't mind. :-B

Good luck.

thats awesome ;-D thanks for the laugh
Member #3 of the Inaugural Yadier Molina Fan Club
free
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby dracovonborax » Fri Mar 11, 2005 1:40 am

Back before we became a keeper league, we used scrabble tiles and used the NBA system for 1st pick. the team that came in last had the fewest tiles, the team coming in 1st the most. if you're tile is drawn out, you get that slot...the last teams tile to be found got the 1st pick. it was a really fun way to do things...i wish we hadn't changed over to keeper. :(
dracovonborax
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Return to Baseball Leftovers