Hawkins, Borowski, or Dempster? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Hawkins, Borowski, or Dempster?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Hawkins, Borowski, or Dempster?

Postby Juhlz » Thu Mar 10, 2005 9:49 am

who do you think will be the closer. Baker has stated that there will not be a closer by committee situation...They can't put Borowski back in that role can they :-o
Juhlz
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby stumpak » Thu Mar 10, 2005 9:59 am

Everyone is saying it is now Borowski. I see no problem with this provided he is healthy unlike last season. He was always an effective closer before his injury and I would be happy to have him.
stumpak
General Manager
General Manager

Postby The Kavorka » Thu Mar 10, 2005 10:00 am

Dempster - good chance he's going into the rotation. If Wood misses any time it's almost guaranteed.

Hawkins - does much better in the 8th than the 9th. I think he's going back to setting up.

Borowoski - I think he'll be closing. Hit 88 mph in his 1st outing and will only get stronger.
What are you guys doing?
"Putting on the Foil Coach!"
The Kavorka
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby The Kavorka » Thu Mar 10, 2005 10:10 am

More on Dempster . . .

Dempster, a candidate for the Cubs' fifth starter spot and closer job, went two and two-thirds innings and gave up three runs -- two earned -- on four hits and three walks Wednesday. He struck out four, the Cubs' website reports. Not a good outing for Dempster, but the four strikeouts are a sign that his arm is okay. He'll have to demonstrate better command, however, to win the closer job or a rotation slot.
What are you guys doing?
"Putting on the Foil Coach!"
The Kavorka
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby j_d_mcnugent » Thu Mar 10, 2005 10:14 am

right now i feel it is between borowski and hawkins. the cubs seem to want borowski to win the job. even though dusty said there would be no cbc he also said it would depend on the situation and he wasnt sure right now if borowski could pitch on back to back days. as long as borowski is healthy i think he will get the majority of the saves but i could see hawkins ending up with 5-10 saves at the end of the season. dempster allows too many baserunners to be the closer.
back from the dead
j_d_mcnugent
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe Ranker

Postby Cleveland Steamers » Thu Mar 10, 2005 1:35 pm

By opening day, I think Borowski will have it locked up. Hawkins is dominate in the 8th. Dempster will start in long relief and be looking for his opportunity to break the rotation due to an injury or bad performances from a 5th starter (could be him anyway).
Cleveland Steamers
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe WriterMock(ing) Drafter
Location: Everywhere...looking for a job in baseball...or fantasy sports...

Postby Rkiivs » Thu Mar 10, 2005 1:58 pm

Cleveland Steamers wrote:By opening day, I think Borowski will have it locked up. Hawkins is dominate in the 8th. Dempster will start in long relief and be looking for his opportunity to break the rotation due to an injury or bad performances from a 5th starter (could be him anyway).

Yeah, and that's the way it should be. Hawkins is a good for setting up but can't quite seem to put batters away with two strikes on them. Really, he was only closing last year because of Borowski's injury. I have confidence in Borowski as long as he's feeling fine.
Rkiivs Beginner
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Innovative Member

Return to Baseball Leftovers