Raymond Berry - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to General Talk

Raymond Berry

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Raymond Berry

Postby crapshooter » Thu Mar 10, 2005 8:44 am

Going to a banquet tonight and the speaker is Raymond Emmitt Berry, the first really great NFL reciever. He is from here and his dad was my football coach in high school. Guess most here are too young to even know who he is...but he was great! Also coached the Patroits to a super bowl!
You don't have to like 'em to own 'em!!!!
crapshooter
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Pacman » Thu Mar 10, 2005 8:54 am

Berry was a great player, played a big part in the "Greatest Game Ever Played" (google it up).

He also head coached the underdog 1985 Patriots who made it to the Superbowl with playoff road wins over the Jets, Raiders and Dolphins before getting crushed by that great '85 Bears team ( Jim McMahon, Refrigerator Perry et al).

Berry is considered one of the true gentlemen of sports and indeed was one of the superstars of his era.

;-D
Pacman
General Manager
General Manager

Cafeholic

Postby Lofunzo » Thu Mar 10, 2005 9:21 am

I remember him well. ;-D The Pats were in the Super Bowl?? You sure about that?? :-D
Lofunzo

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerEagle EyeHockey ModPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 11)

Postby Pacman » Thu Mar 10, 2005 9:27 am

Lofunzo wrote:I remember him well. ;-D The Pats were in the Super Bowl?? You sure about that?? :-D

Oooo I remember, cause it tore my guts out. That playoff run was amazing. Beat the Jets and Raiders on the road, then went to Miami for the AFC Championship, where they NEVER used to win, and upset a very good Dolphins team.

But that Chi Bears team was freakin' AWESOME. And the Pats had no answer for them.

And as much as that Superbowl crushing hurt... little did I know that just 10 months later... would come the Sox-Mets 86 World Series. :,-( ... that was when I really learned the definition of pain.
Pacman
General Manager
General Manager

Cafeholic

Postby Rirruto » Thu Mar 10, 2005 10:02 am

Pacman wrote:
Lofunzo wrote:I remember him well. ;-D The Pats were in the Super Bowl?? You sure about that?? :-D

Oooo I remember, cause it tore my guts out. That playoff run was amazing. Beat the Jets and Raiders on the road, then went to Miami for the AFC Championship, where they NEVER used to win, and upset a very good Dolphins team.

But that Chi Bears team was freakin' AWESOME. And the Pats had no answer for them.

And as much as that Superbowl crushing hurt... little did I know that just 10 months later... would come the Sox-Mets 86 World Series. :,-( ... that was when I really learned the definition of pain.

2004-05 more than made up for it :-D
Rirruto
General Manager
General Manager

Cafeholic

Postby Pacman » Thu Mar 10, 2005 10:06 am

Rirruto wrote:
2004-05 more than made up for it :-D

It totally, totally did. In fact, only now can I really appreciate how HAPPY Mets fans must have been in 86. I always thought about it as this tragic, negative thing, now it's easier to see that for Mets fans, it was the ultimate come-from-behind victory.

And though it's 18 years late in coming, allow me to say "Congratulations, '86 Mets. Great job".

B-)
Pacman
General Manager
General Manager

Cafeholic

Return to General Talk