Who to keep, who to keep - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Who to keep, who to keep

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Who to keep, who to keep

Postby MikeeDee » Tue Dec 03, 2002 8:51 am

I could really use some help on this one. In a keeper points league I own: Giambi, Giles, Chipper, Blalock, Kendall, Beltran, Oswalt and Prior. I can keep seven and am wondering if I should keep Kendall or Blalock or even Bobby Hill. (I also have Brandon Phillips).

I know position scarcity is important, but at catcher a good one is so hard to find I'm thinking about taking my chances and just get a catcher on draft day.

Listening...
!+)
MikeeDee
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Mock(ing) Drafter
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Arlo » Tue Dec 03, 2002 9:36 am

Welcome aboard, MikeeDee!

You've got a tough call there. Your top six seem pretty clear (and very good), but the final keeper isn't.

I don't think I'd keep Phillips, who may not have much of an impact next season. If you believe in him, you can certainly redraft him. The remaining three players are all gambles in one way or another.

Kendall's stats were nothing to right home about last year - even for a catcher. If next year turns into a rerun of 2002, he's not worth it. Kendall has so much desire to succeed, however, that it wouldn't surprise me if he were able to turn things around again (minus a couple steals, which won't hurt you very much in a straight points league)...

Hill is also an interesting player, but he'll need time to develop. Unless your league is very deep, you'll be able to redraft him later.

Blalock probably has the greatest potential of any of these guys, but there's no guarantee he'll even be in the majors all season. At the moment, it isn't even certain what position he would play.

I think there are two ways to play this. If you're looking to build for the future, go with Blalock in the hopes that he'll turn into a stud, but be aware that anything he gives you this year is gravy. Personall, though, I'd go with Kendall and pick up some solid prospects later on. This year, there will be enough high-upside youngsters to go around. Your keepers are excellent, so unless this is a very small league you should be in the hunt. Kendall will at least be average at the shallowest position, and possibly quite a bit more.
Arlo
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Brokentusks9 » Tue Dec 03, 2002 12:36 pm

I would definitly keep Brandon Phillips. 2nd base and catcher are the hardest positions to have quality players at, and he could be real good. (He'll have plenty of chances too). Orlando Hudson of the Blue Jays is another second baseman I really like. Hardly anyone knows about him playing up in Canada and could be a real steal in your draft. Well theres my $0.02
Brokentusks9
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Mock(ing) Drafter

Postby cheferic » Tue Dec 03, 2002 11:20 pm

hey mikeedee...
i have to say ive seen harder decisions that have had to be made. you have a great core in you first 7. what you have to consider are the rules of your league. is there inflation on salaries, are there salaries, what are the contract rules.

if you want to continue building for the future you have to consider either blaylock or phillips. they are both going to get some type of shot during the year with phillips most likely taking over the following year at second with cleveland. blaylock is still iffy, there was an article in espn about the rangers not having much confidence in him, specifically showwalter. obviously the cubs dont have much confidence in hill either since they are trying to trade for grandfather gruds.

if your going for it this year i have to think that kendall will have a bounce back year. hes not as bad as he was last year. if you can sign him to a one year contract i would go for it and then look for phillips or blaylock for next year while they are still cheap.

just some advice, dont know if its good or bad.
adios
e
cheferic
Little League Legend
Little League Legend

Postby MikeeDee » Fri Dec 06, 2002 3:00 pm

Thanks all. I know it's not the hardest decision ever. I just felt the need to ask some people if I wasn't missing anything. Apparently I wasn't. If today was draft day I'd keep Blalock, as he has the most upside. I am going to try however to deal any number of the four (Blalock, Kendall, Hill, Phillips), for an established player at 2B, SS or 3B. Being Chavez, Glaus, Pujols, Durham, Garciaparra, Jeter, Tejada. All players who can help now and in the future. Thanks again.
MikeeDee
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Mock(ing) Drafter

Postby Arlo » Fri Dec 06, 2002 6:23 pm

Making a trade sounds like a good plan. All those players are good choices, but if you're planning for the future, keep in mind that there's a chance that Durham may lose his 2b-eligibility at some point. Not a given, but worth considering...
Arlo
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby MikeeDee » Mon Dec 16, 2002 1:08 pm

I was looking at my other keeper team (same points league system, 7 keepers) and wondered what you guys would do.
I have Magglio, Jose Vidro, Jarrod washburn and Jason Isringhausen, who are all no-brainers. Then there's Damian Moss and Mike Sweeney. I like them both, especially cause we draft left handed starters in a seperate category. That makes 6.

Now for number 7. Possibilities:
Andruw Jones
David bell
Josh Phelps
Ken Griffey
Johan Santana
Kevin Brown

I'm thinking Andruw. But if Brown or Griffey look healthy and on top of their game in spring training....????
MikeeDee
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Mock(ing) Drafter

Postby Pogotheostrich » Mon Dec 16, 2002 1:42 pm

I think you'd be crazy not to keep Andruw. He can help your team now plus he is still young. His only drawback might be his AVG.
Pogotheostrich
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 337)

Postby tallmike » Mon Dec 16, 2002 2:57 pm

I agree. I can's see keeping anyone else.
tallmike

Mock(ing) Drafter

Postby Arlo » Mon Dec 16, 2002 5:57 pm

I agree that Jones would be a good call, and I'd also consider Griffey. As you say, if he's healthy the rewards could be great, but that's a big if.

I probably wouldn't keep Brown. Yes, he's terrific when at the top of his game, but the risks scare me.

And if for some reason Phelps qualifies at catcher (if you're in a league that gives every player a position other than dh), he'd be worth considering as well...
Arlo
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers