Pujols's triple now a double? (Crazy Offical scorers) - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Pujols's triple now a double? (Crazy Offical scorers)

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Pujols's triple now a double? (Crazy Offical scorers)

Postby jebatzel » Sat May 03, 2003 11:32 am

Did anyone watch this game last night? Cards and Expos?

I was monitering espn update and in the first inning it said Pujols hit a triple. Espn's box score still has it has him hitting a triple.

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/boxscore?gameId=230502124

Which would have been the first one of the week for my team. Head to Head triples are important.

Did espn just score it wrong, or did the offical scorer change it later?

Went to bed thinking he hit a triple and wake up to see its a double. :-P

Offical scorers are wierd

Dodgers vs Pirates game last night another example.

Kazuhisa Ishii pitching and the pirates do a double steal.

Ishii strikes out the batter and Hundley throws the ball down to second. The throw is a little towards 1st and right on target to get Kendall out. Cora catchs the ball and puts his glove down for the tag.

Kendall slides into Cora's glove and the ball flies out into left field. As soon as the ball gets away the runner who is on 3rd easly scores.

The ball got away fair enough for Kendall to have a chance to score. Brian Jordan still has a shot at getting him at home, but the throw is wide.

The error is charged to Hundley though.

One run is counted as being unearned. These 2 runs where the only ones Ishii gave up the whole night.

If I was the offical scorer I would have given the error to Cora and then one to Jordan for his throw. 2 unearned runs.

So why did Hundley get the error? His throw was right on time to get Kendall out.

JB
jebatzel
General Manager
General Manager

Cafeholic
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Oat Soda » Sat May 03, 2003 9:01 pm

I didn't see the play in the Pirates but game, but rule 10.13 (d) (3) says "An error shall be charged against any fielder whose throw takes an unnatural bounce, or touches a base or the pitcher's plate (sic), or touches a runner, a fielder or an umpire, thereby permitting any runner to advance. NOTE: Apply this rule even when it appears to be an injustice to a fielder whose throw was accurate. Every base advanced by a runner must be accounted for."

I guess Kendall's run was up to the scorer's discretion and he didn't feel like Jordan could've gotten him anyway. I didn't see the play though, so your guess is as good as mine.

As for Pujols's triple, you got me. :-?
Oat Soda
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby jebatzel » Sat May 03, 2003 10:52 pm

Carl Everett hit a triple for me today, so I should be set.

God only knows why I benched Giambi today for Paul Konerko

JB
jebatzel
General Manager
General Manager

Cafeholic

Postby DGroundhog » Sat May 03, 2003 10:57 pm

I think Pujols scored on that play due to a throwing error.

I didn't see it, but I'm assuming they decided he hit a double, would have been thrown out trying to stretch it into a triple, but was safe and scored on the error.

[b][size=18]70*[/size][/b]
* Steroid induced record
DGroundhog
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby Amnorix » Mon May 05, 2003 12:17 pm

One of my leagues had triples as a stat. for the last two years. Thankfully, we talked the Commish into getting rid of it.

Frankly, triples are probably the stupidest of all fantasy baseball categories. Here's why:

1. They're rare as hell, so they're more important than HRs. Why you want to make triples so valuable is beyond me.

2. A very large percentage of the time, a triple is really a double and an error, which seems to be the case in what you're talking about. Many, many triples are flukes. Got took the wrong angle to the ball and it got by him, or some stupid thing like that.

3. Do we really want to inflate the value of Cristian Guzman and Jimmy Rollins that much? I mean -- a guy who can hit 10-15 triples is probably more valuable than a 30 HR guy. Why the hell do we want to establish a system that values a Guzman over a Rolen? Just silly.

4. If you want to count triples, at least do it indirectly by slugging or OPS or what have you. Just counting triples as a separate stat is wildly distorting.

Bottom line -- they're stupid, and should not be a fantasy stat.

End rant. :-)
Amnorix

----------------------------------
"You can observe a lot just by watching."

--Yogi Berra
Amnorix
College Coach
College Coach

Return to Baseball Leftovers