ankiel gives up pitching to become an outfielder - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to St. Louis Cardinals

ankiel gives up pitching to become an outfielder

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

ankiel gives up pitching to become an outfielder

Postby j_d_mcnugent » Wed Mar 09, 2005 12:13 pm

i guess i am not completely surprised, just really disappointed. it seemed like he was making some progress....

Cards move Ankiel to outfield
By Joe Strauss
Of the Post-Dispatch
03/09/2005

Rick Ankiel
(AP)

Advertisement

JUPITER, Fla. -- Cardinals lefthander Rick Ankiel, once deemed the game's most promising young arm, will convert from pitcher to outfielder, effective immediately.

The Cardinals confirmed the move Wednesday morning shortly after rain washed out what was scheduled to be Ankiel's spring debut in a B game against the Florida Marlins.

The unexpected announcement comes after Ankiel gave a promising September showing in the Redbirds bullpen followed by a credible performance as a starter in the Puerto Rican winter league. The winter league stint was cut short by elbow tenderness.

This spring, Ankiel has struggled with command and had been pulled from pitchers field drills before experiencing erratic command in batting practice.

Ankiel won 11 games as a rookie in 2000 before suffering a loss of command during the postseason. Hindered by elbow reconstruction surgery, he took nearly three seasons to make his return to the major leagues.

The Cardinals plan to immediately integrate Ankiel into their outfield.

Because he is out of options, Ankiel must either make the club or be put through waivers.

STLtoday.com will have more later as this story develops.
back from the dead
j_d_mcnugent
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe Ranker
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby SaintsOfTheDiamond » Mon Mar 14, 2005 11:43 pm

I agree with you. I'm not really surprised for some reason, just disapointed. :-/ I hope he can be one of the pieces to build the OF around in the future, but I won't be holding my breath. :,-(
Member #4 of the Inaugural Yadier Molina Fan Club!!!
SaintsOfTheDiamond
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe Ranker

Postby Pogotheostrich » Mon Apr 04, 2005 9:32 am

Any word on if Ankiel cleared waivers? I haven't been able to find anything anywhere.
Pogotheostrich
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 389)

Postby j_d_mcnugent » Mon Apr 04, 2005 1:06 pm

they havent put him on yet. they figure if they wait until tuesday then the odds of another team claiming him will be much lower.

Latest on Ankiel: He's NOT on waivers

BY DERRICK GOOLD
Of the Post-Dispatch
04/02/2005

SPRINGFIELD, Mo. -- Rick Ankiel, the Cardinals' novice outfielder, has not yet been placed on waivers as the franchise probes every possibility to assure the retired pitcher's safe passage to the minors.

Although it was originally indicated that Ankiel had to be placed on waivers this past week -- with news of his possible clearance or selection coming this weekend -- several sources with the Cardinals confirm that that was not the case.

Instead, Ankiel was put on the Cardinals' 25-man roster by Saturday's deadline.

On Tuesday, he will be removed -- and then likely placed on waivers.

The Cardinals had two open spots on their 25-man roster, and because of that and Ankiel's guaranteed contract were provided some flexibility to their decision. Albeit, a delay of what seems the inevitable. Those two spots are earmarked for non-roster invitees Bill Pulsipher and Abraham Nunez, but their contracts do not have to be purchased and added to the 25-man roster until Tuesday.

Holding those spots in the interim will be Ankiel and DL-bound Matt Morris, general manager Walt Jocketty said. He declined any further comment on Ankiel's waiver status or his potential assignment.

Both players will be removed as part of in-season moves.

Ankiel, once a sizzling pitching prospect who won 11 games in his rookie season, is out of options and therefore must receive waivers from the other 29 teams before being assigned to a Cardinals' minor-league team, presumably Double-A Springfield.

His agent has contacted other teams to tell them Ankiel will not consider pitching -- that weariness and frustration with continued control problems has sent him to the field, where he's excelled as a hitter.

If he's selected, Ankiel has said, he's going as an outfielder.

The Cardinals are exploring every possibility to assure Ankiel clears waivers, and are being clandestinely quiet about the process to strengthen those chances.

``I think it gets to the point where something has to happen,'' manager Tony La Russa said of Ankiel. ``We'll know something earlier in the week. I want him to be in this organization. He played well enough to be here (in Springfield).''

he is a long shot but honestly i think he is one of our better outfield prospects (if you ignore that he has technically too much mlb experience to be a prospect). good swing, decent power, left handed and supposedly his throws have been strong and accurate.
back from the dead
j_d_mcnugent
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe Ranker

Postby Pogotheostrich » Thu Apr 07, 2005 8:16 am

Ankiel clears waivers.
link
Pogotheostrich
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Mookie4ever » Fri Apr 08, 2005 10:26 am

I heard that they signed him to a minor league deal. Can't find a link but I heard it on the news.
Mookie4ever
Head Moderator
Head Moderator

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterHockey ModBasketball ModFootball ModMatchup Meltdown ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 280)

Postby StlSluggers » Tue May 31, 2005 1:21 pm

The St. Louis Post-Dispatch reports that "On Monday, pitcher-turned-outfielder Rick Ankiel hit his fourth home run in five games for Quad Cities, the Cardinals' Class A affiliate in Davenport, Iowa. Starting in right field and batting No. 3, Ankiel launched a shot that one-hopped into the Mississippi River, over the right-field fence. Ankiel, on what is essentially a rehab assignment before returning to Class AA Springfield, is hitting .290 with 11 RBIs for the Swing."

Not too shabby... ;-D
StlSluggers
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterWeb Supporter
Location: Parking in the gov't bldg @ 7th and Pine. It's only $3.00 on game day!

Postby Pogotheostrich » Mon Oct 17, 2005 1:46 pm

Pogotheostrich
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Return to St. Louis Cardinals