Fantasy Baseball Publications - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Fantasy Baseball Publications

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Fantasy Baseball Publications

Postby pilambp » Fri May 02, 2003 8:01 pm

I was wondering if I could get some feedback about the best publications for Fantasy Baseball. I am personally a big fan of The Baseball Prospectus, but I would like to hear what other people use. I bought Ron Shandler's Baseball Forecaster this year, and I found it to be very inexpensive, but very liberal with the forecasts for the players. The layout was very primative as well. I'd also like to get feedback on what magazines people find to be helpful.

Thanks.
pilambp
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Pick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 Survivor
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby wrveres » Sat May 03, 2003 2:41 am

I don't read them ... they are usually written in November and December and in Baseball ... things happen everyday.. I soley rely on the Internet for my Info ... But ... I do like when the other owners show up with them at the draft .. usually means you can bid up last years overacheivers and they will take them .. lets give an Example ... OH I saw in one article thay Bellhorn was like the #3 3B to pickup ... cus of his huge power number ...and position versa .. never mind that he had never done it before ... his '02 season .. and won't again ... Live and Learn ..
wrveres
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe Musketeer
(Past Year: 687)

Postby pilambp » Sun May 04, 2003 12:34 pm

The Baseball Prospectus comes out about two weeks before Spring Training starts. It analyzes 1,600 players from Pro to Rookie Ball, with an outlook and forecast for each one. It also has a team by team outlook that is very informative and educational. It is definately worth the money. It always contains hidden tidbits of humor as well, like listing Pete Incaviglia's position as "Thunderstick of Yore", and listing the Expo's league as "Limbo". It's not just a fantasy baseball book, it's aimed at the casual fan looking for a player by player preview. Last year they predicted a huge year for Karim Garcia (if he played), and he performed as promised. Any book that can make a claim like that, is worthy in my opinion.
pilambp
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Pick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 Survivor

Postby jonnyblack » Sun May 04, 2003 1:37 pm

I, too, do all of my research online. While printed publications might be useful to get your mind in the baseball mode during the offseason, things change day to day. For me, printed material is merely a supplement to the vast statistical world of the internet (this forum included).
98% of Americans have a favorable opinion of puppies and rainbows.
How do you spell "biased?"
jonnyblack
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Location: Living Room, Watchin Baseball on Mute, Ignoring Idiot Red Sox and Yankee Fans

Return to Baseball Leftovers