Completed Keeper Team Draft - please rate! - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Analyze/Rate My Team

Completed Keeper Team Draft - please rate!

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Completed Keeper Team Draft - please rate!

Postby chris8 » Tue Mar 08, 2005 6:46 pm

This is a 12-team keeper league; 5x5 H2H; just completed a slow draft. I had the 7th pick (and went against my golden rule of not drafting a pitcher in the 1st round).

As this is the first keeper team I have drafted, I would be grateful for any opinions, especially on players I may have reached for, or stolen! And yes, I know I need a 3B!!!

I've drafted to try and win this year as well, which is why there are very few young prospects, as they seemed to be taken earlier than I would have.

My team:

C R. Hernandez (SD) (Rd 17)
1B C. Delgado (Fla) (Rd 4)
2B B. Boone (Sea) (Rd 9)
SS J. Rollins (Phi) (Rd 5)
3B C. Koskie (Tor) (Rd 13)
OF M. Cabrera (Fla) (Rd 2)
OF G. Sheffield (NYY) (Rd 3)
OF V. Wells (Tor) (Rd 7)
Utl J. Guillen (Was) (Rd 11)
Utl K. Matsui (NYM) (Rd 15)

SP J. Santana (Min) (Rd 1)
SP M. Mulder (StL) (Rd 6)
SP B. Colon (Ana) (Rd 12)
RP J. Isringhausen (StL) (Rd 8)
RP D. Kolb (Atl) (Rd 10)
P G. Maddux (ChC) (Rd 14)
P J. Weaver (LA) (Rd 18)
P K. Benson (NYM) (Rd 19)

Bench K. Mench (Tex) (Rd 16)
Bench B. Inge (Det) (Rd 20)
Bench R. Hidalgo (Tex) (Rd 21)
Bench J. Thomson (Atl) (Rd 22)
Bench D. Lowe (LA) (Rd 23)

Leave a link, and I'll gladly share my 'wisdom' with you! :-D
chris8
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeLucky Ladders ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown Survivor
(Past Year: 135)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Locin Blade » Tue Mar 08, 2005 7:03 pm

Well, I'd say you have a nearly flawless outfield, the only glaring weakness I'd say is Koskie; with the depth of 3B available, I'd think you could get someone better.
You've got lots of good starters but a lot of them are pretty risky too; Mulder and Colon were inconsistent last year, and I suspect there's something really wrong with Mulder but the move to St Louis can only help. Maddux is getting old, and Weaver is a head case, but they could still be really good. Thomson, Lowe and Benson are all decent but not great, Lowe will benefit from the large dimensions of Dodger Stadium, but he'll miss the BoSox's killer offense.
I'd say you've got a great team there, with killer offense and a potentially excellent (but possibly risky) starting rotation.
Locin Blade
Little League Legend
Little League Legend

Postby Patella Tendon » Wed Mar 09, 2005 11:19 am

your OF hitting is excellent

you need to trade some of that hitting for a better 3B & Catcher

I also like your pitching - but not as much as your Outfielders
Patella Tendon
College Coach
College Coach

(Past Year: 5)

Postby ensanimal » Wed Mar 09, 2005 3:31 pm

your offense is real strong, nothing really to bad about having coskie at 3b, he can put up solid if unspectacular numbers. same for hernandez at catcher.

what i would do though, i find you have to many sp's, that really won't help too much. what i would do first, is see about doing some 2 for 1 trades with your sp's. find someone weak or lacking in the sp's and see what you can get.

i'd pick up some great mr's instead of the middle of the road sp's. help you with ratios, give you some solid k numbers, and hopefully vulture some wins or saves.

good luck ;-D
ensanimal

CafeholicFantasy ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeHockey ModPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 120)

Postby chris8 » Wed Mar 09, 2005 3:39 pm

Thanks for the opinions so far. I hoped to get a stud MR or two, but they kept going early as well!

Undrafted MRs include Tavarez, Worrell, Marte & Linebrink, but I don't know if any of them are really worth grabbing.

Also, any thoughts on where I took some of the players? I would be really interested in who you guys think I drafted too early (or later than they should have gone).
chris8
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeLucky Ladders ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown Survivor

Postby SouthBronxBombers » Wed Mar 09, 2005 3:45 pm

There is nothing wrong with Koskie at third base. Average BA, but he'll steal a few bases and has pop. You also have Inge, who probably qualifies for catcher because of how many games he caught last year, and probably will give you better numbers than Hernandez. You might want to check your league rules on whether he is elgibible there. I also second the suggestion about getting a couple of relief pitchers to plug into those P spots. Lowe is not worth it, imo. The Dodger infield is not good defensively, and has very little range. A lot of those ground balls will through for singles. Dump him and Thomson and pick up folks like Juan Rincon, Kiko Calero, Otsuka or Tom Gordon. They'll vulture you some cheap wins, a save or two and really help your WHIP and ERA. But overall, it is a pretty solid team.
SouthBronxBombers
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby RVD420 » Wed Mar 09, 2005 4:43 pm

Pretty much what the others said. Nice offense. I'm not huge on Koskie, but he was probably the best solution at the time so he'll work. I think dropping Lowe for Marte might be a good decision since he helps in a lot of categories. Worrell wouldnt be a horrible decision over Thomson. Other than that though you have a very solid team. Thanks for rating my team earlier :)
RVD420
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby chris8 » Thu Mar 10, 2005 1:20 pm

Bump
chris8
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Return to Analyze/Rate My Team