CRAZY WEATHER - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to General Talk

CRAZY WEATHER

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby Lofunzo » Tue Mar 08, 2005 10:34 pm

Amazinz wrote:I'm not arguing the existence of the greenhouse effect. Without it the Earth wouldn't be warm enough for us to live. But global warming is the "theory" that we are unaturally strengthening the greenhouse effect. :-)

So, then you feel that this greenhouse effect hasn't gotten stronger over time?? You also don't think that the components in the atmosphere that cause this effect are getting stronger as well??
Lofunzo

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerEagle EyeHockey ModPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 18)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Mercer Boy » Tue Mar 08, 2005 10:46 pm

Yeah, I guess I should have told you this stuff was coming yesterday...here in Mercer we get NY weather one day early. Sunday it was over 50 (if not 60), and then last night it was raining and storming - then snow just in time for my drive to work at midnight. :-[

Then, this morning while I was trying to sleep the wind was intense. It was blowing my window constantly up and down and making this really loud noise. It was like someone was farting with the worst methane gas buildup in history every 20 seconds. I couldn't take it anymore. I had to lock the window down to make it stop. :-P
The One, The Only, The Incomparable Mercer Boy.
MySpace blog (updated 6/21 - Pirates walkout.)
Mercer Boy
General Manager
General Manager

Eagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Football

Postby Rirruto » Tue Mar 08, 2005 10:47 pm

Mercer Boy wrote:Yeah, I guess I should have told you this stuff was coming yesterday...here in Mercer we get NY weather one day early. Sunday it was over 50 (if not 60), and then last night it was raining and storming - then snow just in time for my drive to work at midnight. :-[

Then, this morning while I was trying to sleep the wind was intense. It was blowing my window constantly up and down and making this really loud noise. It was like someone was farting with the worst methane gas buildup in history every 20 seconds. I couldn't take it anymore. I had to lock the window down to make it stop. :-P

What's the weather gonna be like tomorrow? :-D
Rirruto
General Manager
General Manager

Cafeholic

Postby Mercer Boy » Tue Mar 08, 2005 10:50 pm

Windy, windy, windy...:-°

Then, I guess it snowed off and on today. I can't be sure since I was asleep from 1 PM until 7:30 PM (after the farting window had cleaned itself out :*) )
The One, The Only, The Incomparable Mercer Boy.
MySpace blog (updated 6/21 - Pirates walkout.)
Mercer Boy
General Manager
General Manager

Eagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Football

Postby Mookie4ever » Wed Mar 09, 2005 8:27 am

Amazinz wrote:I'm not arguing the existence of the greenhouse effect. Without it the Earth wouldn't be warm enough for us to live. But global warming is the "theory" that we are unaturally strengthening the greenhouse effect. :-)

Greenhouse gases - ozone = global warming.

It's not a "theory", the globe is getting warmer, the polar ice caps are shrinking and the oceans are getting warmer. Whether this is "natural", man-made or accelerated by man is not really known. But it is not really known in the same way that the cigarette companies say that there is no proof that tobacco causes cancer. It is common sense that when we destroy our protective layer (ozone) and keep pumping out greenhouse gases that keep the heat in we are heating the planet.

In our lifetimes the worst that we will experience will probably be extreme shifts in weather. It's our kids and grandkids that will feel the worst of it.

I'm a bundle of laughs ain't I?
Mookie4ever
Head Moderator
Head Moderator

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterHockey ModBasketball ModFootball ModMatchup Meltdown ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 301)

Postby Amazinz » Wed Mar 09, 2005 11:07 am

Mook, there is no evidence that the Earth has been getting warmer for any substantial period of time.
Maine has a good swing for a pitcher but on anything that moves, he has no chance. And if it's a fastball, it has to be up in the zone. Basically, the pitcher has to hit his bat. - Mike Pelfrey
Amazinz
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Mookie4ever » Wed Mar 09, 2005 11:21 am

Amazinz wrote:Mook, there is no evidence that the Earth has been getting warmer for any substantial period of time.

Well UN scientists and 150 governments disagree with you?

http://www.greenpeace.org/international ... gn_id=3995

But this is like trying to convince cigarette companies that their products cause cancer. The evidence is overwhelming just not positively conclusive. But to say that there is "no evidence" is wrong.
Mookie4ever
Head Moderator
Head Moderator

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterHockey ModBasketball ModFootball ModMatchup Meltdown ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Pogotheostrich » Wed Mar 09, 2005 11:22 am

Amazinz wrote:Mook, there is no evidence that the Earth has been getting warmer for any substantial period of time.

8-o
There is tons of evidence.
http://www.grida.no/climate/vital/17.htm
http://www.cru.uea.ac.uk/cru/info/warming/

And if you think those are biased I have one from the EPA for kids
http://www.epa.gov/globalwarming/kids/bigdeal.html
Pogotheostrich
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 463)

Postby Amazinz » Wed Mar 09, 2005 12:04 pm

Uh-huh. Now read this: http://www.tysknews.com/Depts/Environment/debunking.htm

Point is, there is as much evidence that it is not ocurring than that it is. But it's popular to just believe because someone tells you it's happening. I'm no scientist and I'm not a conspiracy theorist but I've read quite a bit about the subject (just out of interest) and I tend to agree with those who believe it is bunk.
Maine has a good swing for a pitcher but on anything that moves, he has no chance. And if it's a fastball, it has to be up in the zone. Basically, the pitcher has to hit his bat. - Mike Pelfrey
Amazinz
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Mookie4ever » Wed Mar 09, 2005 12:34 pm

Amazinz wrote:Uh-huh. Now read this: http://www.tysknews.com/Depts/Environment/debunking.htm

Point is, there is as much evidence that it is not ocurring than that it is. But it's popular to just believe because someone tells you it's happening. I'm no scientist and I'm not a conspiracy theorist but I've read quite a bit about the subject (just out of interest) and I tend to agree with those who believe it is bunk.

Wow I just surfed that TYSK site that you posted Amazinz and I am genuinely scared of those guys.

The section on the Environment starts off with this little nugget:

Environmentalists' Highway

Beneath the rhetoric of survival, behind the Sierra Club calendars, beyond the movie-star appeals, lies a full-fledged ideology – an ideology every bit as powerful as Marxism and every bit as dangerous to individual freedom and human happiness. Like Marxism, it appeals to seemingly noble instincts: the longing for beauty, for harmony, for peace. It is the green road to serfdom.

So right away we know that they are against any sort of Environmentalism.

Then peruse the articles and there are tidbits titled:

"Time to throw out the 'myth' of recycling" in which they actually argue against recycling.

An article supporting the tobacco companies in which they describe those opposed to second-hand smoke as "anti-smoke fascists".

An article arguing against the banning of DDT.

One titled "Who needs Earth Day?"

And my favourite: "The Green Taliban of America" :-b

I think that it's safe to say that these guys have an agenda ;-) . Not to say that Greenpeace does not but Pogo pointed out some good sites. Why don't you trust the EPA?
Mookie4ever
Head Moderator
Head Moderator

PreviousNext

Return to General Talk