Postby Rirruto » Tue Mar 08, 2005 7:57 pm

The wind was un-flippin-bearable today
Rirruto
General Manager
General Manager

Cafeholic
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby kimchi_chigae » Tue Mar 08, 2005 8:57 pm

LBJackal wrote:It's about -10 here so don't you guys complain! Of course, that's celsius :-D

But seriously it's friggin cold.

ridiculous... :-t

not even gonna talk about the wind... :-[
Free WR!
kimchi_chigae Beginner
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 194)

Postby Amazinz » Tue Mar 08, 2005 9:17 pm

Lofunzo wrote:I believe that it exists, just not on the level of some. You don't buy my car example??

Hehe. No. I'm not knowledgable enough about the subject to argue it but I don't think the inside of your car and the Earth's atmosphere is a fair comparison. }:-)
Maine has a good swing for a pitcher but on anything that moves, he has no chance. And if it's a fastball, it has to be up in the zone. Basically, the pitcher has to hit his bat. - Mike Pelfrey
Amazinz
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Lofunzo » Tue Mar 08, 2005 9:37 pm

Amazinz wrote:
Lofunzo wrote:I believe that it exists, just not on the level of some. You don't buy my car example??

Hehe. No. I'm not knowledgable enough about the subject to argue it but I don't think the inside of your car and the Earth's atmosphere is a fair comparison. }:-)

Actually, it is an excellent example. Think of your car's windshield much like you think of the Earth's atmosphere. The rays from the sun come in the form of short rays. Those short rays are able to pass through the Earth's atmosphere. There are some that get absorbed but you get the point. O.K. Well, these short rays are also able to pass through your windshield. Once these rays hit something (ie. the Earth's surface, the inside of your car, etc.), they are scattered and reflected. This causes these short waves to become long waves. These long waves are unable to pass back through the Earth's atmosphere or, in this example, your car's windshield. Basically, the heat is trapped as long wave energy within the membrane that it originally passed through as short wave energy. That's why if you park your car in the sun on a really cold day, it is sometimes warm inside.

Hope this makes sense. I tried to simplify it so it would be easier to understand.
Lofunzo

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerEagle EyeHockey ModPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 11)

Postby Rirruto » Tue Mar 08, 2005 9:41 pm

Lofunzo wrote:\Actually, it is an excellent example. Think of your car's windshield much like you think of the Earth's atmosphere. The rays from the sun come in the form of short rays. Those short rays are able to pass through the Earth's atmosphere. There are some that get absorbed but you get the point. O.K. Well, these short rays are also able to pass through your windshield. Once these rays hit something (ie. the Earth's surface, the inside of your car, etc.), they are scattered and reflected. This causes these short waves to become long waves. These long waves are unable to pass back through the Earth's atmosphere or, in this example, your car's windshield. Basically, the heat is trapped as long wave energy within the membrane that it originally passed through as short wave energy. That's why if you park your car in the sun on a really cold day, it is sometimes warm inside.

Hope this makes sense. I tried to simplify it so it would be easier to understand.

Thats like the greenhouse effect right?
Rirruto
General Manager
General Manager

Cafeholic

Postby Lofunzo » Tue Mar 08, 2005 10:07 pm

Rirruto wrote:
Lofunzo wrote:\Actually, it is an excellent example. Think of your car's windshield much like you think of the Earth's atmosphere. The rays from the sun come in the form of short rays. Those short rays are able to pass through the Earth's atmosphere. There are some that get absorbed but you get the point. O.K. Well, these short rays are also able to pass through your windshield. Once these rays hit something (ie. the Earth's surface, the inside of your car, etc.), they are scattered and reflected. This causes these short waves to become long waves. These long waves are unable to pass back through the Earth's atmosphere or, in this example, your car's windshield. Basically, the heat is trapped as long wave energy within the membrane that it originally passed through as short wave energy. That's why if you park your car in the sun on a really cold day, it is sometimes warm inside.

Thats like the greenhouse effect right?

Yup. ;-D

Many people basically combine the 2.
Lofunzo

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerEagle EyeHockey ModPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 11)

Postby RyanK » Tue Mar 08, 2005 10:08 pm

yesterday i wore shorts.. went to the driving range.. nice like 50-60 degrees.. today.. rain in the morning.. my dad says its gonna snow.. i laughed.. about 3rd period in school people are saying how basically every school in the states gotten out but us (typical in my town, our supierintendent sucks, its like hes watching the florida weather forcast....) but we ended up getting out early.. still wasnt snowing but it was freezing and windy.. about a half hour after got out it starts snowing hard and hadnt stopped till a few hours ago... weve gotten like 6 inches.. as much as i like the snow i really want to golf... but it was freezing cold out.. my car had a layer of ice on it :-t
RyanK
General Manager
General Manager

Graphics Expert

Postby NY Yankees Fan 2004 » Tue Mar 08, 2005 10:21 pm

I love it ;-D ;-D

And I knew it was coming cause I am good at Weather.

Yesterday While I was in Central Park It was 63 degrees, could have worn shorts.

Today in the Park is a Winter Wonderland!

Now its 19 degrees.

I actually love the snow and cold weather ;-D

One problem though: Whoever measured the snow in the park is a moron. They are reporting 1.5 inches there, when there is clealy over 3 inches.

The Winds are super-intense. All the Snow is blowing around like Crazy
[color=blue][size=24]2005 Fantasy Baseball Champion[/size][/color]
NY Yankees Fan 2004
General Manager
General Manager

Postby Amazinz » Tue Mar 08, 2005 10:23 pm

I'm not arguing the existence of the greenhouse effect. Without it the Earth wouldn't be warm enough for us to live. But global warming is the "theory" that we are unaturally strengthening the greenhouse effect. :-)
Maine has a good swing for a pitcher but on anything that moves, he has no chance. And if it's a fastball, it has to be up in the zone. Basically, the pitcher has to hit his bat. - Mike Pelfrey
Amazinz
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby NY Yankees Fan 2004 » Tue Mar 08, 2005 10:31 pm

LBJackal wrote:It's about -10 here so don't you guys complain! Of course, that's celsius :-D

But seriously it's friggin cold.

Its -7 here in Celcius. Not complaining.
[color=blue][size=24]2005 Fantasy Baseball Champion[/size][/color]
NY Yankees Fan 2004
General Manager
General Manager

PreviousNext

Return to General Talk