College Closer - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Minor League & College Baseball

College Closer

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

College Closer

Postby papagiorgio01 » Tue Mar 08, 2005 1:04 pm

A good friend of mine is putting together a really good season at UC Santa Barbara. He's the teams closer this year after posting a 1.51 ERA last year. So far he has a 1.74 ERA, 0.87 WHIP, 10 K's and just 1 walk in 10.1 innings. UCSB isn't a top teir school, but we do play against some good teams (CS Fullerton) and we have produced players like Barry Zito and Michael Young.

I was just wondering what you guys think my buddy's chances are of getting drafted. This is his senior year and last year he got letters from the Twins, D-Rays and D-Backs, but never got selected. I dont really know how many teams select guys who are just closers.
papagiorgio01
Little League Legend
Little League Legend

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby LBJackal » Tue Mar 08, 2005 1:15 pm

A few closers (as in always been a closer throughout their career) have been drafted out of college that I know of. Ryan Wagner and Chad Cordero. I'm sure there are more, but those are 2 recent ones that I know of. And Cordero went to Fullerton.

The rest of the year will determine if he's drafted. So far it looks like he's doing great. But yes, there is precedent of pure closers being drafted from College.

"Jack, will you call me, if you're able?"

"I've got your phone number written, in the back of my Bible."
LBJackal
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Pick 3 Weekly Winner

Postby Bloody Nipples » Tue Mar 08, 2005 1:46 pm

I think Jesse Crain was drafted out of college, and maybe David Aardsma.
aka enderwiggin
Bloody Nipples
General Manager
General Manager

Postby ensanimal » Tue Mar 08, 2005 2:16 pm

Bill Bray was drafted by the Expos last year out of college and was a closer. Cordero/Bray, maybe the Nationals will give your friend a call. :-b
ensanimal

CafeholicFantasy ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeHockey ModPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 88)

Postby papagiorgio01 » Tue Mar 08, 2005 2:53 pm

aardsma made some starts his senior year in college. He was mainly their closer, you're right about that.
papagiorgio01
Little League Legend
Little League Legend

Postby warrick95 » Tue Mar 08, 2005 3:02 pm

The Expos took Bray and Cordero because they'd be cheaper than other players as college relievers and also because they hoped that they'd reach the majors faster. Cordero did that.

College closers can get taken for sure. Huston Street was a pretty highly touted pick, even though he actually doesn't have typical closer stuff. His mentality is supposed to be great, though.

What kind of stuff does your buddy, I'm guessing you mean Alex McRobbie (I quickly checked out the UCSB site) have, in terms of pitches and velocity? If he has a very live arm, then sure, he could very well be drafted.

J. Brent Cox and Joey Devine are probably the elite RP prospects this year.
warrick95
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby papagiorgio01 » Tue Mar 08, 2005 3:28 pm

Yeah, its Alex. He tops out at 94 but usually sits at about 92. His strength, in my opinion, is his 2 seamer which he throws at about 88-90 and has about 4 inches of down-and-in movement on a righty. He's also got a good slider/slurve that he throws in the low 80's and a mediocre changeup.

On a side note, he outpitched Jared Weaver last year for 3 innings when our starter got knocked out early.
papagiorgio01
Little League Legend
Little League Legend

Postby warrick95 » Tue Mar 08, 2005 3:46 pm

Well, we'll see. I mean, his stats are great, but the velocity isn't overwhelming. However, neither was Huston Street's velocity and he was picked pretty high. That two-seamer sounds very nasty, though.

Many teams seem to build their bullpens based on failed starters. Many are either guys who don't have the durability or assortment of pitches to handle the starter workload.

I found an interesting site here that statistically ranked pitchers. Your friend is on it:
http://www.battersbox.ca/article.php?st ... 4112940999

Notice how the picks of last year's draft of players on that list weren't taken in the exact order, so scouts have a subjective say in it as well.

Since there are 50 rounds in the draft, I'd put my money on him getting a shot somewhere. If you want to pay, check out BA's site. They have a lot of rankings, draft previews, etc. They might have a bit on him.
warrick95
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Return to Minor League & College Baseball