Value Picks at 1b - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Value Picks at 1b

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby Twinskies » Tue Mar 08, 2005 3:46 pm

Konerko is also going pretty low for a guy with 40 hr power. His numbers wont be great but he should be taken near Sexson just ahead of Morneau in my opinion.
This field, this game, it's a part of our past, Ray. It reminds of us of all that once was good and it could be again. Oh people will come Ray, people will most definitely come.
Twinskies
College Coach
College Coach

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Iconoclastic » Tue Mar 08, 2005 5:29 pm

Very high upside: Pena. Think Beltre.

Solid last round pick: Raul Ibanez. He's a consistent 300.90.20.100 player. Also eligible at two positions. With Mariners' lineup improvement he might even exceed those numbers.
Iconoclastic
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Absolutely Adequate » Tue Mar 08, 2005 5:33 pm

slomo007 wrote:Who should you not draft?

Absolutely Adequate wrote:Shawn Green. I've said it before and I'll say it again: Shawn Green.

I'm telling you all - If you take Shawn Green late, you will win your league. He's going to be that good a value.

Either you can believe me or you can believe the guy with the Ken Griffey Jr. avatar. Whoever you think has a firmer grasp on reality...
Absolutely Adequate
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter

Postby Mookie4ever » Tue Mar 08, 2005 5:52 pm

Absolutely Adequate wrote:

Absolutely Adequate wrote:Shawn Green. I've said it before and I'll say it again: Shawn Green.

I'm telling you all - If you take Shawn Green late, you will win your league. He's going to be that good a value.

Either you can believe me or you can believe the guy with the Ken Griffey Jr. avatar. Whoever you think has a firmer grasp on reality...

I'm just going to cut and paste from another post I made today because I'm tired of repeating how overrated Green has become.

Mookie wrote:2001 .297 SLG .598
2002 .285 SLG .558
2003 .280 SLG .460
2004 .266 SLG .459

BA and SLG have decreased 3 years in a row. All three years he has been healthy, in the same ballpark with an improving team around him.

IMO Green is one of the most overrated players in fantasy and I am steering clear of him. Sure he could bounce back but I need some kind of indicator that he will - but everything about his performance is negative.

Now in Arizona the only good player around him will be Gonz. Glaus has batted over .250 just once in the past 3 years, a claim that Jose Cruz Jr. can't make and the rest of the lineup pretty much stinks. There will be no reason to pitch to him.
Mookie4ever
Head Moderator
Head Moderator

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterHockey ModBasketball ModFootball ModMatchup Meltdown ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 280)

Postby LBJackal » Tue Mar 08, 2005 5:58 pm

Mookie4ever wrote:
Absolutely Adequate wrote:

I'm just going to cut and paste from another post I made today because I'm tired of repeating how overrated Green has become.

Mookie wrote:2001 .297 SLG .598
2002 .285 SLG .558
2003 .280 SLG .460
2004 .266 SLG .459

BA and SLG have decreased 3 years in a row. All three years he has been healthy, in the same ballpark with an improving team around him.

IMO Green is one of the most overrated players in fantasy and I am steering clear of him. Sure he could bounce back but I need some kind of indicator that he will - but everything about his performance is negative.

Now in Arizona the only good player around him will be Gonz. Glaus has batted over .250 just once in the past 3 years, a claim that Jose Cruz Jr. can't make and the rest of the lineup pretty much stinks. There will be no reason to pitch to him.

I agree. He might not be a bust considering nobody spends a high pick on him, and his stats should improve a touch going to the BOB, but nothing spectacular. I think he says he wants to steal more, or think he's capable of it, but his SB's are few and far between, and he's not been very successful with them either.

"Jack, will you call me, if you're able?"

"I've got your phone number written, in the back of my Bible."
LBJackal
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Pick 3 Weekly Winner

Postby j_d_mcnugent » Tue Mar 08, 2005 5:59 pm

Iconoclastic wrote:Solid last round pick: Raul Ibanez. He's a consistent 300.90.20.100 player. Also eligible at two positions. With Mariners' lineup improvement he might even exceed those numbers.

:-? he has never had that line before.
back from the dead
j_d_mcnugent
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe Ranker

Postby GotowarMissAgnes » Tue Mar 08, 2005 6:02 pm

Adam LaRoche and Termel Sledge might be good for a late flyer.
GotowarMissAgnes
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy Expert

Postby Cornbread Maxwell » Tue Mar 08, 2005 6:04 pm

Iconoclastic wrote:Very high upside: Pena. Think Beltre.

Woo Hoo! Pena will be beter than Beltre! :-D

Just messin - as big a Tiger Homer as I am, Pena's BA isnt in the same zip code as Beltre's - He'll top out at .280-.290 max. I do expect him to have a great yr and finish with over 30 HRs though - solid sleeper.
Cornbread Maxwell
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertPick 3 ChampionSweet 16 Survivor
Home Cafe: Football

Postby NZF » Tue Mar 08, 2005 7:35 pm

j_d_mcnugent wrote:
Iconoclastic wrote:Solid last round pick: Raul Ibanez. He's a consistent 300.90.20.100 player. Also eligible at two positions. With Mariners' lineup improvement he might even exceed those numbers.

:-? he has never had that line before.

To be fair, Ibanez has only ever played one full season, 2003 in KC and he came pretty close to those numbers, in an average line-up.

He should get around 550 AB's for the Mariners this season as the DH. I can definitely see him getting 100RBI's and 20 HR's with a .300 Avg. When he was finally over his hamstring problems last season, he hit almost .350 in August / September combined.
When you're right no one remembers, when you're wrong no one forgets - NZF
NZF
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Broncmet724 » Tue Mar 08, 2005 7:43 pm

These are my projections for:
Casey .307BA 565AB 87R 174H 19HR 88RBI 2SB
Ortiz .292BA 551AB 92R 161H 39HR 125RBI 0SB
Ibanez .296BA 530AB 77R 157H 19HR 79RBI 3SB
Pena .255BA 493AB 85HR 125H 28HR 83RBI 5SB
Green .277BA 598AB 94R 166H 30HR 92RBI 6SB
Broncmet724 Beginner
Major League Manager
Major League Manager