Value Picks at 1b - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Value Picks at 1b

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Value Picks at 1b

Postby red » Tue Mar 08, 2005 1:01 pm

Off the top of my head, Carlos Pena and H.S. Choi

Anyone have any sleepers or breakouts further down the depth chart than that? Any good feelings about Kotchman (playing time?) Or suggestions in the later rounds of a draft?
Thanks!
red
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

User avatar

Posts: 503
Joined: 1 Feb 2003
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Pogotheostrich » Tue Mar 08, 2005 1:04 pm

Pena maybe Choi I'm not a believer.

Overbay and Sweeney could be good late round values.
Durazo if he is 1B eligible.
Image
Pogotheostrich
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Posts: 21623
(Past Year: 337)
Joined: 9 Dec 2002
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: St. Louis

Postby LBJackal » Tue Mar 08, 2005 1:07 pm

Sean Casey. People are avoiding him like the plague. He's not a huge slugger, but that BA helps a lot. I have him on 3 or 4 teams I think. I also have him valued above Ortiz, and just behind Thome. It's not that I expect the world from Casey, it's just that what he does isn't appreciated. Here's the proj's:

28 HR, 90 R, 102 RBI, 3 SB, .314 BA

Nothing spectacular, and the HR might be a reach, but he'll probably bring you good return on your investment (I got him in the 8th, when pretty much everybody had their 1B already).
Image

"Jack, will you call me, if you're able?"

"I've got your phone number written, in the back of my Bible."
LBJackal
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
Pick 3 Weekly Winner
Posts: 9196
Joined: 1 Jul 2003
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: The Hotel Yorba

Postby slomo007 » Tue Mar 08, 2005 1:09 pm

LBJackal wrote:Sean Casey. People are avoiding him like the plague. He's not a huge slugger, but that BA helps a lot. I have him on 3 or 4 teams I think. I also have him valued above Ortiz, and just behind Thome. It's not that I expect the world from Casey, it's just that what he does isn't appreciated. Here's the proj's:

28 HR, 90 R, 102 RBI, 3 SB, .314 BA

Nothing spectacular, and the HR might be a reach, but he'll probably bring you good return on your investment (I got him in the 8th, when pretty much everybody had their 1B already).


OK, now I love Casey, and agree he's a great value this year. But above Ortiz?! I would love to hear your argument for that.
slomo007
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
CafeholicEagle Eye
Posts: 11960
Joined: 31 May 2003
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Danimal » Tue Mar 08, 2005 1:14 pm

Until Choi makes a turnaround, I wouldn't touch him. He'll surely be around on the Waiver Wire.
I think Overbay is flying under the radar in lots of drafts and is worth a look.
Danimal
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

User avatar

Posts: 935
Joined: 29 Dec 2003
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Pogotheostrich » Tue Mar 08, 2005 1:21 pm

slomo007 wrote:OK, now I love Casey, and agree he's a great value this year. But above Ortiz?! I would love to hear your argument for that.
Me too! 8-o
Even if he hits those lofty numbers he will be 10-15 HR, 15-25 RBI behind Ortiz and only have a .15 advantage in BA.
Image
Pogotheostrich
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Posts: 21623
(Past Year: 337)
Joined: 9 Dec 2002
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: St. Louis

Postby LBJackal » Tue Mar 08, 2005 1:23 pm

slomo007 wrote:
LBJackal wrote:Sean Casey. People are avoiding him like the plague. He's not a huge slugger, but that BA helps a lot. I have him on 3 or 4 teams I think. I also have him valued above Ortiz, and just behind Thome. It's not that I expect the world from Casey, it's just that what he does isn't appreciated. Here's the proj's:

28 HR, 90 R, 102 RBI, 3 SB, .314 BA

Nothing spectacular, and the HR might be a reach, but he'll probably bring you good return on your investment (I got him in the 8th, when pretty much everybody had their 1B already).


OK, now I love Casey, and agree he's a great value this year. But above Ortiz?! I would love to hear your argument for that.


Well, I already posted Casey's projections, here are Ortiz's:

39 HR, 92 R, 126 RBI, 0 SB, .272 BA

That works out to Casey being worth $21 and Ortiz being worth $20. And if you're wondering about Ortiz's BA, he had a lucky hit rate and his BA should have been around .276 or thereabouts based on his historic hit rate.
Image

"Jack, will you call me, if you're able?"

"I've got your phone number written, in the back of my Bible."
LBJackal
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
Pick 3 Weekly Winner
Posts: 9196
Joined: 1 Jul 2003
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: The Hotel Yorba

Postby blankman » Tue Mar 08, 2005 1:27 pm

Jason Giambi.

It's a risk to draft him as your starter, but I think he'll be a huge steal at where he'll go in the draft.
blankman
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Graphics Expert
Posts: 10770
Joined: 6 Jul 2003
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby ensanimal » Tue Mar 08, 2005 1:30 pm

Dmitri Young ;-D
ensanimal
Moderator
Moderator

User avatar
CafeholicFantasy ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeHockey ModPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Posts: 10622
(Past Year: 112)
Joined: 14 Dec 2003
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Tim Horton's

Postby afromangettindrunk » Tue Mar 08, 2005 1:31 pm

anyone have projections for morneau this year?
Image
afromangettindrunk
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

User avatar

Posts: 808
Joined: 15 Mar 2004
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Albany, NY

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 8 guests

Forums Articles & Tips Sleepers Rankings Leagues


  • Fantasy Baseball
  • Article Submissions
  • Privacy Statement
  • Site Survey 
  • Contact