Alomar or Hairston? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Alomar or Hairston?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Alomar or Hairston?

Postby ball crusher » Fri May 02, 2003 4:49 pm

With roberto alomar sucking ass at the moment, is Jerry Hairston an upgrade at second base? His avg. is currently up arond 300, and he's on pace to steal over 50 bases. If I remember correctly he finished last year strong as well.
ball crusher
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby YankFan51 » Fri May 02, 2003 4:55 pm

It's so weird to say this, since Alomar was once great, but I'm pretty sure Hairston is a better option this year. He's batting leadoff permanently, so the runs and steals should be there. Take a chance on Hairston
My hair's turnin' white, my neck's always been red, my collar's still blue
We've always been here tryin' to sing the truth to you
Guess you could say we've always been red white and blue
"Red White and Blue," Lynyrd Skynyrd
YankFan51
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Mock(ing) Drafter

Postby kvillantz18 » Fri May 02, 2003 5:36 pm

At least get Hairston in your lineup this week. They've got the Tigers. Whoohoo, 3-23, go Tramm.
Up in here?
kvillantz18
College Coach
College Coach

Postby jdh » Fri May 02, 2003 6:42 pm

OK, I can understand that people don't like Alomar because he is an arrogant prima donna that likes to spit at umpires, but give me a break. Dropping Alomar for Hairston is just ridiculous.

In his 5 year big league career, Hairston has never batted a season higher than .268, never had more than 50 RBIs and maxed out at 29 steals. It's unreasonable to expect him to suddenly become a .300 hitter and 50 steals. In contrast, Alomar, in the worst year of his 15 year career went .266-11-53 with 16 steals last year. It is highly unlikely that he'll be that bad again. He will likely rebound to at least .280-15-75 with 20 steals. Don't put too much credence in one month of stats because basically the entire Mets team has been ice cold, limiting his production.

Even in a worst case scenario, Alomar is likely to be far better than Hairston.
jdh
General Manager
General Manager

Postby zaktansky » Fri May 02, 2003 7:15 pm

I'd have to agree with the last post. I drafted Alomar feeling pretty confident he'd turn around last year's misfortunes. However, You have to start wondering if last year was a fluke down season after Alomar has been pretty mediocre so far this season. I grabbed Marcus Giles off waivers and will be using him until either Alomar wakes up or I can trade him away for something to plug a different hole.
zaktansky

Home Cafe: Football
Friendliness: %

Postby Guest » Fri May 02, 2003 10:46 pm

I, too, flirted with dropping Alomar for Hairston, but I couldn't bring myself to do it because I figured that last year was a fluke for Alomar. However, I was able to find room for Hairston in my lineup, and he is my current starter. I even found room for Frank Catalanatto, so I have a 2B by committe at the moment.

Home Cafe: Football
Friendliness: %

Postby ball crusher » Sat May 03, 2003 1:34 pm

I found a way to pick up Hairston without dumping Alomar, however for those of you who think last year was a fluke for Alomar, me thinks you're kidding yourself. He is at best average, and I would not be surprised if Hairston has more home runs, stolen bases and a higher average at the end of the year.
ball crusher
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby jebatzel » Sat May 03, 2003 1:43 pm

I dropped Alomar and someone else to get Harrison and Marcus Giles.

my yahoo public league. (3rd place now)

JB
jebatzel
General Manager
General Manager

Cafeholic

Postby orangecrushv » Sat May 03, 2003 4:37 pm

i dropped alomar and picked up hairston... alomar was on my bench behind vidro anyways... i figured hairston might get me a few steals everynow and then...

-rich
orangecrushv
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby HYLRedSox » Sat May 03, 2003 6:08 pm

I don't know if I would drop Alomar for Hairston, but use him as a temporary replacement. Hairston has been pretty good so far, but there's no way Alomar can be this bad all year.
HYLRedSox
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Return to Baseball Leftovers