Teen convicted of illegally downloading programs off the net - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to General Talk

Teen convicted of illegally downloading programs off the net

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby Amazinz » Tue Mar 08, 2005 2:16 pm

I don't think this will change things much. The people they are targeting and will continue to target are the ones making a profit off of it. I guess this is a good thing. There is absolutely no way the movie, music and game industry will ever have the resources to take out the little guy who DLs items for personal use. That's not to say they won't nab one from time to time but I seriously doubt it will ever be enough to put a dent in this sub-culture.

CubsFan7724 wrote:Awww, poor music industry, too bad you priced yourself right out of the business. CDs are dead. Digital music is the future, and you cannot stop everyone from illegal downloads. And this spills into computer programs too. Out of everyone who has photoshop in the cafes, how many actually shelled out the 700 bucks for it? No one, thats who. No one would have started pirating had the music industry not made ridiculous prices.

This is an unfortunate but prevalent attitude. It's so easy to justify because you're pulling one over on the "man". Unfortunately the backbone of these industries are regular people with families and mortgages. Who do you think gets hurt? I'll guarantee you that the CEOs do not take paycuts, the musicians don't take pay cuts but regular people with kids and car payments and lawns to mow do.
Maine has a good swing for a pitcher but on anything that moves, he has no chance. And if it's a fastball, it has to be up in the zone. Basically, the pitcher has to hit his bat. - Mike Pelfrey
Amazinz
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Madison » Tue Mar 08, 2005 7:26 pm

blankman wrote:That all doesn't make it not illegal. This isn't to say I haven't done it, but you're over rationalizing here. For example, if CD's cost $10 and illegal music is still free, people still wouldn't say "ok $10 is a fair price so I'll pay it instead of getting it free illegally."

I did that when Eminem's Encore CD hit. It was $9.99 at Best Buy on the day it released, so I purchased it. Had it been $17.99 or some ridiculously overinflated price, I'd have probably waited and wound up with a copy dropped in my lap by a little birdie.

As to this kid, that's a lot of movies and music 8-o .
Yes doctor, I am sick.
Sick of those who are spineless.
Sick of those who feel self-entitled.
Sick of those who are hypocrites.
Yes doctor, an army is forming.
Yes doctor, there will be a war.
Yes doctor, there will be blood.....
Madison
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

ExecutiveEditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 1)

Postby acsguitar » Tue Mar 08, 2005 7:28 pm

Its really dumb to have this many on a college network....Colleges don't want to get sued or have you eat their bandwidth and it is easily regultaed?

And did I just read madison say he bought an Eminem cd?
I'm too lazy to make a sig at the moment
acsguitar
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Graphics Expert

Postby Madison » Tue Mar 08, 2005 7:44 pm

acsguitar wrote:And did I just read madison say he bought an Eminem cd?

I've always been an Eminem fan. :-)
Yes doctor, I am sick.
Sick of those who are spineless.
Sick of those who feel self-entitled.
Sick of those who are hypocrites.
Yes doctor, an army is forming.
Yes doctor, there will be a war.
Yes doctor, there will be blood.....
Madison
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

ExecutiveEditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 1)

Postby Bukoski77 » Tue Mar 08, 2005 7:57 pm

I agree people selling pirated software should be punished.

I am 100% against the logic that it actually hurts the music industry downloading for personal listening. A few years ago I discoverd several bands from people looking at my music library and then referring me to other bands I should listen to as those bands were similar to the ones i had in my music library.

I then went out and bought the albums.

For a comparison, how many of you book worms wait until you can get a book from the library when an author releases a book you have been waiting to read? Nope, I buy the book as I want to have my own. I do the same with music I hear online, I go buy the CD.

Its a shame to think of how much my downloads hurt the industry.
Last edited by Bukoski77 on Wed Mar 09, 2005 2:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Son we would like to keep you around here but were trying to win a pennant this year."
Bukoski77
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby eftda » Tue Mar 08, 2005 8:59 pm

Apples Itunes is Fantastic because when your in a drom or in a place with other itunes users you can share what you have on your computer with a neighbor. THey cant download the songs, only listen. Through bluetuth, or wireless.
eftda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby LBJackal » Tue Mar 08, 2005 9:18 pm

eftda wrote:Apples Itunes is Fantastic because when your in a drom or in a place with other itunes users you can share what you have on your computer with a neighbor. THey cant download the songs, only listen. Through bluetuth, or wireless.

Yep I can turn on iTunes at any time and have access to thousands of songs that other people on my university network have. I was amazed the first time i opened iTunes. Thought I had all those songs on my computer! :-b

"Jack, will you call me, if you're able?"

"I've got your phone number written, in the back of my Bible."
LBJackal
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Pick 3 Weekly Winner

Previous

Return to General Talk