On Beltran Moving - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

On Beltran Moving

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

On Beltran Moving

Postby jonnyblack » Fri May 02, 2003 1:49 pm

There is little doubt that Carlos Beltran is going somewhere else than Kansas City. They won't be able to afford him at the end of this season, and therefore, they will lose him to free agency. It is obvious that the Royals' best bet is to try and trade him. Several teams could use a center fielder and a bat like Beltran's. So who, of the contenders, could use a center fielder? Oakland? Will Singleton hold up and produce this entire year? or, Would Beltran's OBP and speed be better suited for an A's team that could use a little boost? How about Texas? The White Sox? Phillie? Dodgers? Giants (near the stretch run)? Any thoughts on this one, fellas? I, for one, am intrigued by the possibilities, though i did pass on Beltran in this year's drafts. So What do you guys think?
98% of Americans have a favorable opinion of puppies and rainbows.
How do you spell "biased?"
jonnyblack
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Living Room, Watchin Baseball on Mute, Ignoring Idiot Red Sox and Yankee Fans

Postby Jsnake99 » Fri May 02, 2003 4:12 pm

* post censored, let's have none of this -ES *
Jsnake99
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby ball crusher » Fri May 02, 2003 4:23 pm

Take it easy jsnake, Beltran swithcing teams has a huge bearing on his fantasy value. I don't see him going anywhere due to KC staying in contention longer in to the season than they anticipated.
ball crusher
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby Fooser » Fri May 02, 2003 4:32 pm

I'm sure he appreciates your reminder, although the topic is very relevant to fantasy baseball. You really shouldn't critique posts like that if you have no idea what you're talking about.

In response to the original post, I don't think it's such a foregone conclusion that Beltran is leaving KC sometime this year. They are building to be competitive next year, and Beltran has said he would take a pay cut to stay in KC.

That said, if he does move to a contender this year (and I wouldn't venture a guess as to where he will go) look for his runs and SBs to increase slightly as teams may want his speed in the 2 slot.
Fooser

Home Cafe: Football
Friendliness: %

Postby Absolutely Adequate » Fri May 02, 2003 8:19 pm

As has been pointed out many, many times on this bb, Beltran is nowhere near the same player out of Kaufman. And astute GMs know this, right? And aside from the Mets and the Rangers, I can't think of a team with a stupid GM and enough money to play Beltran what he will demand even in this depressed economy. And I'd be surprised if Phillips is with the Mets at the end of the month, so...
my guess would be Texas. Jimmy Hart. Why not?
Hank
Absolutely Adequate
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter

Postby prodpaul » Fri May 02, 2003 10:46 pm

Well word here in KC Land is if they keep winning Beltran will lower his demands and lock up for a while. Keep in mind he is not a free agent until next year.

Here's hoping he stays. ;-D

Tetelestai
prodpaul
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe WriterSweet 16 Survivor

Postby Guest » Fri May 02, 2003 11:45 pm

im 99% sure that beltran ISNT a free agent after this year, but NEXT YEAR.

Home Cafe: Football
Friendliness: %

Postby ondeckb » Fri May 02, 2003 11:53 pm

Well, I'm also from KC and here's the problem...Beltran's agent is Scott Boras and this jerk doesn't do anything except for money. I don't think having a competitive team in KC means anything in this case. He's going to go to the highest bidder, and the Royals are gonna have to trade to come out with anything in this deal.
"Ninety feet between bases is the closest man has ever come to perfection"
ondeckb
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby jonnyblack » Sat May 03, 2003 3:22 am

Thank you for the rest of your posts. and you, i won't mention your name, if you don't think Beltran moving has any fantasy impact, then i wish you were in my league.
jonnyblack
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Location: Living Room, Watchin Baseball on Mute, Ignoring Idiot Red Sox and Yankee Fans

Postby jonnyblack » Sat May 03, 2003 2:07 pm

i got back late, and the rude post had already been censored. Hey Eugene Styles, please email me a copy the original message reply that you censored. It must have been good. I think this guy is in one of my leagues.
jonnyblack
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers