Adrian Beltre? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Adrian Beltre?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby ferris182 » Wed Feb 22, 2006 3:47 pm

I like Beltre in the 10th round and beyond...
ferris182
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby BaseballGuru » Thu Feb 23, 2006 6:15 pm

never take beltre

look at his career stats. hes put up one good season and that was doing a contract year. its obvious he just plays for money. now that hes got a long term deal locked up with seattle i would stay as far away from him as possible. temper your expectations - he'll probably let you down.
BaseballGuru
T-Ball Trainer

Postby StudentOfTheGame » Thu Feb 23, 2006 6:24 pm

BaseballGuru wrote:never take beltre

look at his career stats. hes put up one good season and that was doing a contract year. its obvious he just plays for money. now that hes got a long term deal locked up with seattle i would stay as far away from him as possible. temper your expectations - he'll probably let you down.

That's not really fair...The guy is young, had a breakout season, got signed to a new squad and faced new pitchers in a new park in a new role...It may just be an adjustment period....I don't think you can conclude that he "just plays for the money"....I heard nothing about him loafing or anything....In fact, I watched alot of Mariners games last year and it seemed like he was really playing hard out there....He has showed up early for Spring Training and I can see him having another solid year.
StudentOfTheGame
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby HOOTIE » Thu Feb 23, 2006 6:27 pm

I disagree. He doesn't just play for money. He tried to hit a 5 run hr every ab last year to justify his contract. He is a very sincere and caring individual. Being more relaxed this year, in a better offense, and a year of AL pitching under his belt, he's my pick for comeback player of the year.

Yoda, he will bury the 120 games a year, not so good road hitter, in LA, Nomar.
Smells Like Teen Spirit
HOOTIE
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 297)
Location: Pearl Jam country, right next door to Nirvana, Soundgarden, and Alice in Chains.

Postby StudentOfTheGame » Thu Feb 23, 2006 6:29 pm

HOOTIE wrote:

I disagree. He doesn't just play for money. He tried to hit a 5 run hr every ab last year to justify his contract. He is a very sincere and caring individual. Being more relaxed this year, in a better offense, and a year of AL pitching under his belt, he's my pick for comeback player of the year.

Yoda, he will bury the 120 games a year, not so good road hitter, in LA, Nomar.

My pick for comeback player as well......Even if he doesnt match what he did in 2004, his glove and arm make him a very valuable player.
StudentOfTheGame
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby Yoda » Thu Feb 23, 2006 10:07 pm

HOOTIE wrote:Yoda, he will bury the 120 games a year, not so good road hitter, in LA, Nomar.

He really disappointed last season for me to believe that he will rebound to anywhere near the 2004 levels. Based on what I've seen in him, I can't justify taking him over other proven players.

Nomar will be eligible at 3 positions. Plus he will have a lot to prove and playing a position which won't be hard on his body. We shall see.
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that." ~George Carlin
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter

Postby AcidRock23 » Thu Feb 23, 2006 11:20 pm

I'm inclined to disagree w/ the 'contract year' thesis. He did torch my team last year but, during the 48 HR year, the Dodgers played the Cubs and he was hobbling down the line after trashing the Cubs and I was like 'how is this dude hitting when he can't even run?' and was sure he'd bite the dust somewhere in May or thereabouts. Whatever his motivation was, that impressed me that he was more of a gamer than he displayed last year.

I don't see enough Mariners games to really have a theory and I am going to avoid him like the plague but I don't think that he was just playing for a contract in 04...
AcidRock23
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe WriterEagle Eye

Postby patterson4president » Fri Feb 24, 2006 12:43 am

Interesting thread. I think beltre's career numbers are very intriguing. 04' appears to be an aberration but it shows you what his potential is if the stars align. in 03 and 02 he had huge second halfs but was worthless before the break. last year also brought out some huge droughts and a terrible first half of the season. He has never performed in the first half of the season sans 2004. I would let someone else draft him, and then grab him for dirt cheap when they give up on him. also i am surprised no one has mentioned a possible steriod theory for the 04' "breakout year"
"it smells like updog in here"
patterson4president
College Coach
College Coach

(Past Year: 1)

Previous

Return to Baseball Leftovers