Adrian Beltre? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Adrian Beltre?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Adrian Beltre?

Postby rexturner34 » Mon Mar 07, 2005 1:46 am

I have been told that Beltre will not be the fantasy beast he was last year. He has a new home field, new teammates and is in the AL now.
What do you guys think? Thanks
rexturner34
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Home Cafe: Football

Postby Twinskies » Mon Mar 07, 2005 1:52 am

It would be wishful thinking to expect the kind of numbers he put up last year, but i still believe he is a stud regardless. Seattle is not a great hitters park, but neither was LA...plus many believe that he is in a better lineup this year. With Suzuki, Boone, Winn, and Sexson hitting around him, i would look for Beltre to have another productive year. .325-38-115 is my guess.
This field, this game, it's a part of our past, Ray. It reminds of us of all that once was good and it could be again. Oh people will come Ray, people will most definitely come.
Twinskies
College Coach
College Coach

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby echrisl » Mon Mar 07, 2005 2:41 am

I think he'll fall off a bit, especially during the first month of the season. I expect him to lose about 10 HR's this year from last, but I think the overall numbers will still be very good by the end of the season.
echrisl
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby George_Foreman » Mon Mar 07, 2005 5:12 am

i see no reason he won't put up similar numbers to last year, especially hitting behind ichiro.
"I don't buy everything I read,
I havn't even read everything I've bought"

"I find it more comforting to believe that this [life] isn't simply a test."
George_Foreman
General Manager
General Manager

Postby Cornbread Maxwell » Mon Mar 07, 2005 9:52 am

George_Foreman wrote:i see no reason he won't put up similar numbers to last year, especially hitting behind ichiro.

nor do I. You also have the age factor coming in to consideration - he's only 26 and hasent hit his peak age yet.
Cornbread Maxwell
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertPick 3 ChampionSweet 16 Survivor

Postby jonnyblack » Mon Mar 07, 2005 12:25 pm

Beltre may be on of the biggest enigmas coming into this season. IMO, the change of parks does not factor into the equasion because he is coming from LA. Will he hit 48 homers again (he hit 23 at home and 25 away last year), probably not. It is easy though, to speculate that he will break 40 again. With Ichiro always on base in front of him, he should get plenty of RBI opportunities.

Beltre has had one great year, so far. His age is right for another couple, but this year will be telling and we will see whether he is a true ball player or a one year wonder. I think that he is a scoach overvalued this pre-season, but I also believe he will be an extremely productive fantasy third baseman.
98% of Americans have a favorable opinion of puppies and rainbows.
How do you spell "biased?"
jonnyblack
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Location: Living Room, Watchin Baseball on Mute, Ignoring Idiot Red Sox and Yankee Fans

Postby Secret Avatar » Mon Mar 07, 2005 12:38 pm

I expect something like 320-42-120-110-5 from Beltre in 2005.
I am the Master. Don't question the Master. Just do what he says and be proud.
Secret Avatar
General Manager
General Manager

Cafeholic

Postby Cornbread Maxwell » Mon Mar 07, 2005 12:43 pm

I also want to mention that he has been discussed quite a lot here, and a search for his name should bring up multiple threads.

The most common mistake I see regarding Beltre is people taking his past stats into consideration without the proper context. Beltre was fighting life threatening illneses over the last few years - that had a much much larger impact than the "contract yr theory"

Seriously though - look at this article written by a reputable fantasy source. Its an article trying to argue both for and against Beltre repeating - but clearly the author is clueless about Beltre's past injury history - he doesnt mention it even once - doesnt even allude to it. The guy lost someothing like 30 pounds as a 23yo because of a botched stomach surgery and the author doesnt even mention it. :-t

http://baseball.sportsline.com/news/8225337

Hopefully the link works, but again, its only to show the fact that most people - even so called "experts" dont understand why Beltre "broke out" and still repeat the contract yr theory which may have contributed for a part of it, but not nearly as much as being relatively healthy for the first time in 2 years.
Cornbread Maxwell
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertPick 3 ChampionSweet 16 Survivor

Postby jonnyblack » Mon Mar 07, 2005 1:29 pm

I did consider his botched apendectomy happening at a time when his bud should have been blossoming. If he puts up similar numbers to last year, he is up there with pujols.
98% of Americans have a favorable opinion of puppies and rainbows.
How do you spell "biased?"
jonnyblack
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Location: Living Room, Watchin Baseball on Mute, Ignoring Idiot Red Sox and Yankee Fans

Postby afromangettindrunk » Mon Mar 07, 2005 1:36 pm

I certainly did not hesitate to nab him when my 3rd round pick came around and he was still on the board.
afromangettindrunk
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers