Big trade brewing?? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Detroit Tigers

Big trade brewing??

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Big trade brewing??

Postby Dannomyte » Sun Mar 06, 2005 12:37 pm

Lynn Henning article in todays Detroit News

Planning for the Tigers trade that is all but inevitable: Too many pitchers -- and mull that phrase for a moment -- means a mini-blockbuster of a deal is brewing that will send at least a couple of extraneous arms to a team that can give the Tigers the center fielder or third baseman that manager Alan Trammell ideally needs before Opening Day.

The more Trammell insists he'll go north with only 11 pitchers, the more you understand a whopper of a trade is on the horizon. The deal also might include one of the Tigers' starting pitching prospects and past first-round draft picks (Kyle Sleeth, perhaps).

The Tigers have been loading up on pitching since Dave Dombrowski took control three years ago, and now they're in shape to trade their surplus for position personnel that could make them Central Division winners. Taking on Troy Percival and Kyle Farnsworth locked up the two established power arms that, together with Ugueth Urbina's return, give the Tigers a shot at making a capstone trade later this month.

Urbina is the most obvious trade chit because of his prowess and because the Tigers are suddenly stocked with so many good late-innings relievers. Fernando Rodney is looking strong and Franklyn German will be a horse for somebody. The Tigers can't allow that "somebody" to be a team that picks German from the waiver wire, which would happen if they don't bring north a reliever who is out of minor-league options.

Steve Colyer and Gary Knotts have the same no-options status. You can't donate pitchers with this brand of ability to scavenging teams and not get something in return. It leaves a trade as the Tigers' only constructive solution. In that sense, it wouldn't be a shock if Mike Maroth were part of a deal -- for a stronger starting pitcher -- when the Tigers already have two left-handed starters (Nate Robertson and Wil Ledezma) in the rotation.

Dombrowski's strategy to build a team by stockpiling pitching is about to put the Tigers in the Central Division driver's seat -- if that last trade can be pulled off. They can't do it unless 12-14 pitchers prove during the next few weeks that they belong in the big leagues. But more and more, it looks as if the excess will be there. And that spells b-i-g t-r-a-d-e.

http://www.detnews.com/2005/tigers/0503 ... 108579.htm
Dannomyte
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby cmchampa2 » Sun Mar 06, 2005 2:44 pm

I think the Tigers have a great group of tradeable packages, though not quite with enough potential to pull off a blockbuster. For team looking to rebuild the Tigs could send some combo of young OFs and pitchers. For a contender, Detroit can offer White, Urbina, Sanchez, Higgy or some combo. I don't see Urbina going this early, with Percival's health a question mark and with closers gaining value closer to the deadline.

I completely agree with you that it's fun having too many guys and just a few holes to fill. Very exciting to be a Tigers fan this year.
I'm not just the president of the Cornbread Maxwell Fan Club, I'm also the only member.
cmchampa2
College Coach
College Coach

Postby mcqfesijiba » Wed Mar 09, 2005 2:56 pm

I'm hoping Brandon Inge will make them temporarily forget about needing a third baseman. His history makes it easy to be skeptical about him, but after his play last year, he deserves a chance to play every day. We won't be disappointed in Inge's defense, which is leaps and bounds above Munson at 3B. The upper part of the Tigers' lineup is set, so even a season by Inge somewhere near last year from the #8 or #9 spot in the lineup would be tremendous.

As far as a CF goes, I'm not too worried going into the season with Sanchez. I wouldn't mind grabbing a decent alternative to Sanchez should he prove to be a liability, but with Granderson looming in the minors, I wouldn't want to give up too much for a CF just yet.
mcqfesijiba
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby Dannomyte » Wed Mar 09, 2005 4:25 pm

I'm hoping Brandon Inge will make them temporarily forget about needing a third baseman. His history makes it easy to be skeptical about him, but after his play last year, he deserves a chance to play every day. We won't be disappointed in Inge's defense, which is leaps and bounds above Munson at 3B.

I'm all for giving Inge a chance at 3B this year but don't fool yourself in to thinking he is "leaps and bounds" better than Munson defensively. Inge only had 4 less errors at 3B than Munson did. Munson also played 216 innings more than Inge at 3B. Let's hope a full ST at 3B will help Inge. I personally think he will end up being a very good utility player (ala last year) but he definitely deserves a chance at the full time 3B job this year. As a Tigers fan I hope it works out!
Dannomyte
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby mcqfesijiba » Wed Mar 09, 2005 8:26 pm

I think the difference this year will be that Inge is coming into the season and knows he will be the everyday 3B. You could tell by watching him that he clearly handles the position better than Munson. Munson really isn't cut out to be a 3B let alone anywhere else except DH, so it really isn't fair to compare him. Inge's fielding percentage did leave something to be desired, but he has the tools necessary to be a sufficient 3B. Inge has become one of my favorite players, but I'm not going overboard with him like Trammell has done several times in declaring him a gold glove candidate, but I do expect him to surprise with his defense.

Oh, here's a link quoting Trammell on Inge as a gold glover:
http://www.freep.com/sports/tigers/tigers22e_20050122.htm
Hopefully he knows something we don't. Now that's optimism for you.
mcqfesijiba
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Return to Detroit Tigers