U.S. Troops commercial - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to General Talk

U.S. Troops commercial

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

U.S. Troops commercial

Postby stomperrob » Sat Mar 05, 2005 4:37 pm

Just wanted to salute the A-B commercial that shows U.S. troops returning from duty landing at a civilian airport and everyone stands up and gives them a standing ovation (it first aired during the Super Bowl). What a great commercial. I don't want this to become political (Not allowed here until 2008, lol) so feel free to lock it up Mods if it becomes that way. It's so refreshing to see that no matter what side of the war people are on, pro or con, they support the troops.
So unlike the Vietnam War where people who hated the war hated the troops and blamed them for the war even though most were drafted and didn't really want to be there. I can't imagiine landing at a civilian airport after spending 13 months in hell and watching your buddies get their brains blown out and shipped home in body bags, only to be spit on and called "baby-killer". So tragic how they were treated and why the psychological wounds took so long to heal. Also why more Vietnam vets committed suicide back home than were killed during the entire Vietnam War. Sad.
It's nice to see both sides supporting the frontline troops!!! Keep up the good work!

(Remember, keep your comments non-partisan)
Last edited by stomperrob on Sun Mar 06, 2005 4:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
Still holds the MLB record for Grand Slams with 23
stomperrob
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Football ModPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 Survivor
Home Cafe: Football

Postby blankman » Sat Mar 05, 2005 4:50 pm

I little late....

But I thought this was far and away, the greatest commercial I've ever seen. I had tears in my eyes.

Thank you to these men and women and to the good folks at A-B for making such a classy "ad" in recognition of them. ;-D ;-D ;-D ;-D ;-D ;-D ;-D ;-D ;-D ;-D ;-D ;-D ;-D ;-D ;-D ;-D ;-D ;-D ;-D ;-D ;-D ;-D ;-D ;-D ;-D ;-D ;-D ;-D ;-D ;-D ;-D ;-D ;-D ;-D ;-D ;-D ;-D ;-D ;-D ;-D ;-D ;-D ;-D ;-D ;-D
blankman
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Graphics Expert
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Madison » Sat Mar 05, 2005 4:56 pm

I think the difference in how the troops are treated now vs. the Vietnam War is that people have realized that the troops follow orders. They do exactly what they are told and where to do it. They have no choice in the matter. Doesn't matter what their beliefs are, or how they feel about a situation, they follow the orders of the President of the United States.

Civilians have finally figured that out and no longer lay the blame at the feet of our soldiers if they disagree with the President's decisions. Those that disagree with what's going on in Iraq lay the blame squarely on the President's shoulders, which is where any blame should go, for those that disagree with him. He's the one making the decisions, not the troops.

I do agree that it's great that the country finally understands this, and shows their love and support for our men who risk their lives to protect this great country of ours. ;-D
Yes doctor, I am sick.
Sick of those who are spineless.
Sick of those who feel self-entitled.
Sick of those who are hypocrites.
Yes doctor, an army is forming.
Yes doctor, there will be a war.
Yes doctor, there will be blood.....
Madison
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

ExecutiveEditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 1)

Postby Pacman » Sat Mar 05, 2005 4:57 pm

Couldn't agree more, blank.. and thanks for your words, stomperrob. One of the GREAT things about this country is our right to protest that about which we don't believe.

But just because we disagree with a war, or any military actions approved by our Congress and our President, that is NO REASON to show disrespect to the men and women who volunteer to put themselves in harms way in the U.S. Armed Forces.

And taking it a step farther, it's an easy thing for all of us to do, to just give any servicemen (and women) you happen to see, a smile, a nod of the head, or a thumbs-up. Hell, give them a hand-shake. They earn it every day. I served in the U.S. Navy and it was always gratifying when civilians showed me respect.

peace
Pacman
General Manager
General Manager

Cafeholic

Postby pomplona's finest » Sat Mar 05, 2005 6:01 pm

Excellent commercial. ;-D

Those who disrespected the Vietnam vets were the real disgrace to our country, I'm glad to see that the mindset has changed since then.
[URL=http://www.imageshack.us]Image[/URL]

AKA IRON CHEF

Member #5 of the Inaugural Yadier Molina Fan Club!!!
pomplona's finest
General Manager
General Manager

Eagle Eye

Postby Kingctb27 » Sat Mar 05, 2005 6:49 pm

pomplona's finest wrote:Those who disrespected the Vietnam vets were the real disgrace to our country

I agree, to think that our fellow Americans would do something like that
is disgusting :-P
Kingctb27
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Eagle EyeLucky Ladders Champion

Postby DieHardCubbie » Sun Mar 06, 2005 2:49 am

Pacman wrote:But just because we disagree with a war, or any military actions approved by our Congress and our President, that is NO REASON to show disrespect to the men and women who volunteer to put themselves in harms way in the U.S. Armed Forces.

And taking it a step farther, it's an easy thing for all of us to do, to just give any servicemen (and women) you happen to see, a smile, a nod of the head, or a thumbs-up. Hell, give them a hand-shake. They earn it every day.

Well said Pacman.... ;-D
[b]Useless Trivia of the day[/b]

England's Worcester Canoe Club set the world record for paddling a hand-propelled bathtub. The 25 man team covered a distance of 55 miles, 425 yards in 24 hours on September 28 and 29, 1979.
DieHardCubbie
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberPick 3 Weekly Winner

Postby blankman » Sun Mar 06, 2005 4:07 am

Pacman wrote:And taking it a step farther, it's an easy thing for all of us to do, to just give any servicemen (and women) you happen to see, a smile, a nod of the head, or a thumbs-up. Hell, give them a hand-shake. They earn it every day.

They most certainly do. And if I am ever so fortunate to meet such a person I will give them my greatest thanks. There is really no group of people I have great respect, thanks and admiration for. ;-D

And thank you for your service Pacman ;-D
blankman
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Graphics Expert

Postby wrveres » Sun Mar 06, 2005 6:08 am

wrveres
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe Musketeer
(Past Year: 761)

Postby crapshooter » Tue Mar 08, 2005 5:45 pm

I support the troops...just can't support the reasons we are there!
You don't have to like 'em to own 'em!!!!
crapshooter
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Next

Return to General Talk