Cafe Dynasty Team - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Analyze/Rate My Team

Cafe Dynasty Team

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Cafe Dynasty Team

Postby JRM4833 » Sat Mar 05, 2005 3:49 pm

Just drafted last night in the same league as DAQ (who also posted his team in here). It's a 14 team H2H points league with a somewhat complicated contract system. Next to each player I listed the length of his contract and the year in which the contract is currently (e.g. 3 year contract in the 2nd year). And as you may notice much of my bench was focused on building for the future. Oh, and I had the 11th pick of 14.

Please give me an idea of what you think:

C: I-Rod (3/2)
1B: Helton (Franchise Player)
2B: M Giles (4/3)
3B: Beltre (5/5 - I can't keep him unless I tag him my Franchise Player and give up Helton next year, which costs me money)
SS: Uribe (1/1 - I drafted deep at this position though)
OF: Hidalgo (1/1)
OF: Podsednik (1/1)
OF: Rowand (2/2)

BN: Durazo (1/1)
BN: Swisher (1/1)
BN: Berroa (1/1)
BN: A Marte (1/1)
BN: BJ Upton (1/1 but will likely give him our free 5 year extension available to anyone drafted after the 8th round)
BN: Daric Barton (1/1)
SP: Sabathia (1/1)
RP: Nathan (3/3)
RP: Dotel (1/1)

BN: W Miller (1/1)
BN: P Byrd (1/1)
BN: J Francis (1/1)
BN: M Adams (1/1)
BN: Gordon (1/1)
3. TBD

Thanks for any help. I'd be glad to return the favor. I think my OF is a bit weak and my SP is counting on some sleepers but I have confidence in them. Other than that I feel pretty good about my team this season and for years to come if I can work some contract magic.
Last edited by JRM4833 on Sat Mar 05, 2005 4:45 pm, edited 2 times in total.

General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: 5)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby chris8 » Sat Mar 05, 2005 4:39 pm

I think you've identified the areas which are possibly suspect, although they're not bad!

Uribe's obviously not a premier SS, but you do have Upton as a back-up, and I don't see him staying in AAA too long.

None of the OFs are studs, but they will contribute. Might want a back-up, though, as Hidalgo will likely be effective in Texas, but I don't know about on the road. Unless Swisher comes good, of course!

Pitching staff looks fine too; some sleepers, as you say, but all with potential to contribute in various ways this year.
Overall, I think you have a solid team to challenge this year and beyond ;-D

Could use some advice, please:
http://www.fantasybaseballcafe.com/foru ... p?t=100481
chris8
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeLucky Ladders ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown Survivor
(Past Year: 109)

Postby DaQ » Sat Mar 05, 2005 4:40 pm

I think your team will definately contend this year, but you do have some risks that I feel will pay off.

Your infield (includes Pudge) is solid and if Uribe performs at last year's levels in terms of total production, you're infield will be among hte league's best, if not THE best this year. Your OF isn't really strong, but it's not bad either. Hidalgo has a revival with the Mets last year and now in a huge hitters park, he could really do some damage. Rowand has only had one good year, but I can't see why he won't do it again. Pods will get a lot of steals, but I'm concerned that he's not a player that the league scoring system favors (low OBP and AVG).

I like your staff. I'm surprised you like Peavy over Hudson, but either way, I like Hudson's chances now in the NL and with the Braves. Maddux is very consistent in terms of wins and Nathan/Dotel forms a great RP duo. Sabathia could be very good, if he gets it all together (there are signs of it possibly happening).

Your bench for both hitters and pitchers is young and productive. Upton is a future stud and if you can re-sign both Marte and Francis (great prospect in a hitters paradise), you'll be on your way. You also got Prince in the Minors draft, who I considered to be hte #3 prospect and he should do very well.
DaQ
General Manager
General Manager

Postby JRM4833 » Sat Mar 05, 2005 4:48 pm

Thanks for the replies guys. I pretty much agree with all that was said. As far as Rowand, I'm hoping for a breakout year (hoping last year wasn't it). Pods is always a risk with that weak bat but I hope maybe a new team and coach will change that.

The Peavy/Hudson thing could go both ways I guess. At the moment of truth though I had convinced myself that Peavy had more potential and the move to the NL for Hudson was just a question mark, even if there is a good chance for it to really help him.

I'll check out that thread now Chris. Thanks.

General Manager
General Manager

Postby MachiaveliOGCJM » Sat Mar 05, 2005 7:24 pm

I really like your lineup. Its very solid as is your pitching corp. I expect a big year from C.C. Sabathia. He's lost a lot of weight and i think he'll bring it together. Oh and I'm not sure how your minor league system works but if you can you should try to pick up Hanley Ramirez in the Red Sox's farm system. Good Solid Draft for 14 teams.
MachiaveliOGCJM Beginner
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby JRM4833 » Sat Mar 05, 2005 7:31 pm

Thanks. I kind of agree about CC. He may be in for a big year where he finally lives up to potential.

As for Ramirez, I've got my eye on him but don't think he'll get back to me for my 2nd minor league pick at #25.

General Manager
General Manager

Re: Cafe Dynasty Team

Postby JTWood » Sat Mar 05, 2005 7:40 pm

Oh my God, is this team awful. You don't stand a chance in that league. Just quit now. You'll do yourself a favor by saving yourself the agony.

;-7 :-b B-)

I agree that your outfield is weak, but you have guys there that could surprise, so it's not as bad as it could be. I agree with you that Huddy is a better pick than Peavy. The NL will really help his K rate this year. Great infield, as already mentioned.

You have some quality youth locked up for a while. I think the team will be competitive not only this year, but for quite a few years to come (as long as you don't blow your finances).

JRM4833 wrote:Just drafted last night in the same league as DAQ (who also posted his team in here).

You know, you two aren't the only one to post a team from this league.

BTW, as the guy who designed that contract system, I have to compliment you on a much more concise version than I put in the rules.

:-D ;-D
JTWood
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterEagle EyeWeb Supporter

Return to Analyze/Rate My Team