Auction Drafts? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Auction Drafts?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Auction Drafts?

Postby Brokentusks9 » Wed Nov 20, 2002 3:42 am

Can anyone tell me how I would go about running an Auction Draft for next season? My friends and I typically just go with the Yahoo Live drafts, but an Auction Draft seems a lot better. However, I do not know the rules of these? Any help? A website maybe? Thanks a lot I appreciate it.

Matt
Brokentusks9
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Mock(ing) Drafter
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Arlo » Sun Nov 24, 2002 8:02 pm

First, make sure you and the other owners have enough time. Lots of time - auctions are a lot of fun, but they take quite a while, and you don't want to have to rush.

Then, decide on a salary cap available to each team. $260 is traditional, but there's nothing wrong with using other amounts.

Next, determine the order in which owners will be able to throw out players' names. If you're all meeting in the same place, randomly determine the starting owner, and then go around the table you're sitting at. If you're meeting in a chatroom or via conference call, you'll have to randomly determine the entire order.

(Note: if you're using a chatroom, you'll need to figure out a contingency plan in case an owner's software crashes and he or she is offline for a time.)

Then, the first owner names a player to be bid on, as well as an opening bid, for instance: Pedro Martinez at $20. Then the bidding begins, with at least a $1 price hike per raise. You can have somebody act as auctioneer for this, or have the player who named the player being bid on handle things like saying, "going, going... gone." Somebody should also keep a master list of players bought and money left for each team. After a player has been bought, the next owner names a player, and bidding begins again. Note that there won't always be raises; sometimes, the opening bid will stick.

Each team needs to fill an entire roster with the available money. Thus, if you have four roster spots to fill and $18 left, you couldn't bid more than $15 on a single player, since you need to have $1 left for each roster spot. When all teams have filled their rosters, you're set.

Anyway, that's the basics. Does that help? :-)
Arlo
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

First time poster; long time fantasy player

Postby Whitey82 » Mon Nov 25, 2002 5:40 pm

Everybody has different preferences but if you have never tried an auction draft, do it now. It is by far the most enjoyable. And a word of advice: don't spend it all right away. Make sure and have some dough at the end of the draft. I (and I'm dating myself somewhat here) bought Dwight Evans for $1 two years in a row in the 80's and he had great years. Let some teams tie their hands and take advantage.
Whitey82

Home Cafe: Football
Friendliness: %

Postby Arlo » Mon Nov 25, 2002 7:29 pm

Agreed. Even if you wind up liking serpentine drafts or another style better, you should definitely try an auction at least once. The tactics involved are very different from other types of draft (and saving money for the end game is certainly good advice :-) ).

Dewey for a buck... twice? Sweet!
Arlo
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Guest » Tue Nov 26, 2002 4:09 am

wow, thanks a lot. i really appreciate your help. now the hard part is waiting until it's baseball time. i'm glad i found this site, i'll be coming here a lot.

thanks again
Matt

Home Cafe: Football
Friendliness: %

Postby Arlo » Tue Nov 26, 2002 8:26 am

Sure thing - see you around. And yeah... waiting's the really hard part!
Arlo
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Return to Baseball Leftovers