How's this FBC Dynasty team? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Analyze/Rate My Team

How's this FBC Dynasty team?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

How's this FBC Dynasty team?

Postby DaQ » Sat Mar 05, 2005 3:00 pm

I just participated in a draft with some FBC leaguemates in a dynasty league which is scored H2H points (not roto). Next to each player is their contract (years total/current year) and the round they were selected in. A contract, unless a Franchise Player, can only go up to 5 years and then they have to get released, so the Unit is gone after this year, Peavy is gone in two years, etc. With the 14th and final pick:

Starters
C- Jonny Estrada (1/1) Round 12
1B - Justin Morneau (3/3) Round 5
2B - Todd Walker (1/1) Round 13
3B - David Wright (3/2) Round 6
SS - Michael Young (4/3) Round 4
OF - Miguel Cabrera (Franchise Player) Round 1
OF - Andruw Jones (2/2) Round 7
OF - Jose Guillen (1/1) Round 9

SP - Randy Johnson (5/5) Round 2
SP - Jake Peavy (4/4) Round 3
SP - Mark Buehrle(2/1) Round 8
SP - Joel Piniero (1/1) Round 10
RP - Eddie Guardado (1/1) Round 11
RP - Juan Rincon (1/1) Round 18

Bench
1B - Phil Nevin (1/1) Round 17
2B - Orlando Hudson (1/1) Round 25 *
3B - Joe Crede (1/1) Round 24
SS - Julio Lugo (1/1) Round 19
OF - Matt Holliday (1/1) Round 14
OF - Reggie Sanders (1/1) Round 20
OF - Delmon Young (five years left) Round 16
SP - Jerome Williams (1/1) Round 15
SP - Tim Wakefield (1/1) Round 23
RP - Scot Shields (1/1) Round 21
RP - Yhency Brozoban (1/1) Round 22

Prospects
SP - Felix Hernandez
TBA
TBA

Notes
-My obvious weak point is relief pitching. In this league, starting pitchers earn considerably more points than relievers (Lidge and Gagne are 25 and 27 overall among pitchers.
- Hopefully Lugo gets his five games in at 2B quick, so he becomes 2B eligible.
-My goal was to snag both Delmon and Felix, tow of the top prospects in baseball. I took Delmon waaaaay too early, but I was afraid someone else would have seen him on the board and take him.
-If you were wondering, my team is geared more for the future than for 2005 IMO. I have a very young team and beside the Unit, not many players over 30.
-I might try to look for backups for positions I need depth in towards the end of the Minor Draft. In that draft, any player not selected in the Initial Draft is eligible.

For a dynasty league, what do you think of my team? Thanks.

*PS - I just agreed to a trade getting me 2B Orlando Hudson for Mark Kotsay. I wanted the 2B depth since I'm weaker at that position. We both swapped last-round draft picks btw.
Last edited by DaQ on Mon Mar 07, 2005 9:24 am, edited 2 times in total.
DaQ
General Manager
General Manager

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby DaQ » Sat Mar 05, 2005 3:29 pm

I tried to make it as clear as possible so you can see why I did or did not do certain things. If it's too confusing, please tell me.

Again, any opinions are appreciated - I just want to know where my team stands (draft link below). All of the Round 2 players are expected to become free agents at the end of the year.

http://www.wannabesports.com/cgi-bin/fb ... 201&page=3
DaQ
General Manager
General Manager

Postby JRM4833 » Sat Mar 05, 2005 3:37 pm

I like your team. Being in your league, I know the scoring system is a bit complex so that makes a difference. You've got a ton of potential on your team so that is a bit of a risk but guys like Morneau and Wright aren't really considered risks anymore at this point.

I do think 2B could be a bit of a problem, but in a 14 team league it will be for most. Estrada is a question mark but could come through big for you. You're OF is solid enough and certainly better than mine. I also like your pitching and you can thank me for Peavy since I couldn't switch my list fast enough to take him over Hudson. No big deal though since they're pretty even IMO. But I think the league setup favors Peavy a bit more. But then again, Hudson had problems last year which will hopefully be in the past.

RP may be a problem but it depends on how your setup guys do. A guy like Gordon (who I grabbed late) can really rack up some points that would be comparable to some of the lower ranked closers so if Brazoban comes through he may be an answer.

I like how you went with youth and that kind of influenced my draft as I ended up grabbing a lot of youth myself. Having Morneau, Wright, D Young, Felix and Estrada to go along with Migs and Peavy could make you a great team in a few years. The only problem is keeping them with the contract system.

I'll likely post my team in a thread shortly to get some feedback.

General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: 5)

Postby DaQ » Sat Mar 05, 2005 4:42 pm

Thanks for your opinion JRM...can anyone else critique my team? ALl of your opinions are very helpful and I'll try to give my views on your team as well.
DaQ
General Manager
General Manager

Postby chris8 » Sat Mar 05, 2005 4:59 pm

Didn't read JRM's reply, so I may be duplicating things here! :-D

Walker is your weak link on the hitting side. Lugo will be an improvement, but not by very much IMO!
I like Nevin in round 17, giving you solid backup at 2 positions.

Lovely starting pitching for a 14-team league, especially with grabbing Felix for the future. One more couldn't hurt, though.

Relief pitching, as you say, is your obvious weakness, although the three MRs are all quality. Eddie's injury problems worry me. But he may not be important in the scoring system your league has.

Overall, I like your team more for the future than this year, especially if you can snag two more top quality prospects. But I still think you can compete this year; you won't finish first, but you won't finish last, either!

Need some advice on this question, please:
http://www.fantasybaseballcafe.com/foru ... hp?t=90348
chris8
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeLucky Ladders ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown Survivor
(Past Year: 103)

Postby DaQ » Sat Mar 05, 2005 5:11 pm

Thanks Chris!

Once all the top 2B were off the board, I waited to pick a sleeper or a player no one had in mind. Utley was my target but he got taken, so Walker became my Plan B. SOurces say he's the full-time starter at 2B for the Cubs this year, and Walker is a nice hitter when he's in the lineup (for 2B that is). If Lugo becomes eligible at 2B, that would help me as well - he is underrated and is a good stopgap in a league like this.

I saw the run on closers going on, so I jsut waited until it really died down, then plucked Everyday Eddie and Rincon. Shields can do a lot of things and Yhency is the new 8th inning guy in LA. The spreadsheets from last year (or "would have been" if the league existed) show that closers do not get the points SP's do, so I prioritized my pitching staff around them.

I'll see where the prospect draft takes me. I may go for a prospect and/or another player who can shore up weaknesses on my bench (think backup C). I know next year, some young players such as Ben Sheets and Mark Prior will be Free Agents and I may try to get one of them, considering I'll lose Randy.

P.S. Your Mock Draft looks good to go! I don't see anything wrong with it.
Last edited by DaQ on Sat Mar 05, 2005 5:31 pm, edited 3 times in total.
DaQ
General Manager
General Manager

Postby loophole21 » Sat Mar 05, 2005 5:12 pm

You have an excellent core of hitters in morneau, wright and estrada. Guillen and jones are solid as well. Young and cabrera are both true studs.

RP is a problem but if they are as bad as you say it shouldnt be too big of a problem. RJ makes any rotation look good. Combine him with peavy, piniero and beurhle and your staff becomes very solid.

Nice team overall but i think it is at least one year away, and has excellent prospects for the next 3-4 years.

Good Luck!!
loophole21
College Coach
College Coach

Postby chris8 » Sat Mar 05, 2005 5:36 pm

DaQ wrote:Thanks Chris!

P.S. Your Mock Draft looks good to go! I don't see anything wrong with it.

Oops! Gave you the wrong link somehow! :-B
Try this one!

http://www.fantasybaseballcafe.com/foru ... p?t=100481
chris8
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeLucky Ladders ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown Survivor
(Past Year: 103)

Postby JTWood » Sat Mar 05, 2005 7:42 pm

DaQ,

Don't want you to think I'm ignoring this. I don't have time to reply right now, but I'll get to it tonight.

BTW, you and JRM aren't the only one to post a team here. I need to update my post, though, as I hastily threw it together last night before passing out after the marathon draft.
JTWood
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterEagle EyeWeb Supporter

Postby mrider » Sun Mar 06, 2005 11:23 am

sweet team its a keeper league right?
mrider
General Manager
General Manager

Next