Help a Rookie H2H Commish, Please. - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Help a Rookie H2H Commish, Please.

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Help a Rookie H2H Commish, Please.

Postby dave4ster » Sat Mar 05, 2005 1:54 pm

I set up a 14 team H2H Yahoo League, and need some help with the League settings and stat cats. I am trying to set it up so it has more of a ROTO feel. I don't want to make it easy for the settings I select to be able to be abused by frequent FA add/drops, especially with the pitchers. I have selected 40 min. innings pitched per week, and 40 max moves season. Right now I have 5 SP and 2 RP, and the team has 6 bench spots. The pitching stats I have selected are: IP-W-L-SV-R-HR-BB-K-TB-ERA-WHIP. I am trying to set up the pitching stats so that you need both good SP & RP to win your week. Is there stats I should drop from what I have already selected, and is there better stats I should add. I was thinking about K/BB and K/9. I am trying to put the emphasis on the draft and managing your bench after the draft, not who can add/drop the most free agents each week to win.

My hitting positions are: C-1B-2B-3B-SS-LF-CF-RF-Util.
Their stat cats are: R-1B-2B-3B-HR-RBI-SB-K-E-OPS.

The only thing I am concerned with is the OPS. Should I keep that or replace it with AVG.

Any suggestions and opinions would be very much appreciated. This forum has a lot of info on it, I am learning a lot from you guys.

Thanks.
dave4ster Beginner
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Mookie4ever » Sat Mar 05, 2005 2:22 pm

There is a lot wrong with your settings.

My first suggestion is to stay with a standard 5x5 roto and decrease your IP min.

If you are concerned about spot starting and churning pitchers your settings are only going to encourage people to do just that.

IP as a cat is the worst possible cat. There is absolutely no benefit to this cat. Sorry, but it is pretty bush-league. Nothing gets people to churn more than the IP cat.

A 40 IP min is going to get people to churn as well, especially if you get zero if you don't hit the min. With 7 pitchers the IP min should be between 20-30, and no more.

Your 10x11 roto format has so much duplication and impossible to predict cats that you are assuring that you can only win through luch and that your owners are going to be turned off.

If I were you I would make it standard 5x5 with an IP min of 22 and no cap on roster moves.

I hope that this helps and that I haven't been too critical.
Mookie4ever
Head Moderator
Head Moderator

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterHockey ModBasketball ModFootball ModMatchup Meltdown ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 268)

Mookie4ever

Postby dave4ster » Sat Mar 05, 2005 3:08 pm

I understand what you are saying, but with the 40 max moves, teams will only be able to churn pitchers from their bench, not via add/drops. This is what I would like to see, as this should place more value on your draft. Any team owner that sets out to make sure they win the IP cat each week, could hurt himself in other cats. It is a risk/reward cat. I am trying to get a balance on the pitching stats, where you can't draft/add a pitcher that is going to help you win 1 cat, but rather has to be good at many cats. I would rather have the League 50/50 with prediction and luck, than have it mostly all prediction. I guess I am think to much like real MLB, and not Fantasy Baseball.
dave4ster Beginner
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Return to Baseball Leftovers