Francona discusses Arroyo's role - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Francona discusses Arroyo's role

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Francona discusses Arroyo's role

Postby Sticky Spice » Sat Mar 05, 2005 7:15 am

By Jeff Horrigan/ Red Sox Notebook
Saturday, March 5, 2005

Arroyo gets started

Bronson Arroyo will make his spring debut tonight, when he starts for the Sox against the Reds in Sarasota. With Wade Miller expected to be ready to pitch by late April or early May, the possibility exists that Arroyo could end up in the bullpen.

``He can do both,'' Francona said. ``I'm sure he wants to start. I don't think we've seen the best of Bronson as a starter yet. How much better can he get? How do you know? The flip side of that is, if I had to choose one guy out of our rotation to go to the bullpen and be a star (like) Ramiro Mendoza three years ago and pitch 100 innings, it's him. It's interesting. When we start the season, he's going to be in the rotation but he gives us a lot of flexibility.''

Miller, who was limited to 14 games last season with the Houston Astros due to fraying within the rotator cuff, threw his second bullpen session yesterday.

As one of the many proponents of Bronson Arroyo this year, I'm not sure what to make of this.

On one hand, it's bad news. What's really weird to me is that he's not even saying that it's between Wakefield and Arroyo. I know relief pitchers have value, but I have no room on my staff for pitchers that don't regularly have an opportunity to win or save - the best they could then be is a 3-category pitcher.

On the other hand, those who see the season as a marathon might be able to get him for a lot cheaper now. What are the chances the old and decrepit !+) guys on the Sox staff all stay healthy? Not only that, but if Arroyo gets time to show his stuff BEFORE Miller comes back, maybe he can force Francona's hand to leave him in. My league doesn't have a taxi squad, but this might be a smart choice for one.

Then again, Francona could just be blowing smoke so as not to tip his hand B-)

How do you guys see this working out?
“Most men lead lives of quiet desperation and go to the grave with the song still in them.” --Henry David Thoreau
Sticky Spice
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafe Musketeer
(Past Year: 39)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby wkelly91 » Sat Mar 05, 2005 8:19 am

I was going to snag him in the middle rounds...now I don't know :-?
wkelly91
General Manager
General Manager

Postby Mercer Boy » Sat Mar 05, 2005 8:40 am

Well, I picked him in the 15th round of a 27 round draft a few days ago... :-o

Back "in the day," he was a terrible starter for my Pirates...but we had no offense to help him even if he did pitch well. With Boston he has a chance, and he showed that he was fairly capable at the end of the year and the playoffs. All I can hope is that he's saying if he stinks, he's going back to the pen where he's been thrown before when he couldn't get the job done as a starter. I think that'd be the operative stance with almost any tweener pitcher in the majors.

I think we're drafting him with the indication that he'll be good enough to start for the team and get some wins. If he blows, we'd act accordingly anyway (aka drop him as a "bust")...so what's the difference? :-)
The One, The Only, The Incomparable Mercer Boy.
MySpace blog (updated 6/21 - Pirates walkout.)
Mercer Boy
General Manager
General Manager

Eagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Football

Postby AKhomebrewer » Sat Mar 05, 2005 1:06 pm

I wouldn't reach, but I won't worry about this either. He'll beat out both Wakefield and Miller (who may not even stay healthy).
• Aaron Hill: Avoids DL Jul 12 (RotoWire)
• Aaron Hill: Headed for DL Jul 12 (RotoWire)
AKhomebrewer
General Manager
General Manager

Cafeholic

Postby Surfs up » Sat Mar 05, 2005 1:42 pm

I don't agree. I think when Miller is healthy he starts. Same with Wakefield. Arroyo will be a spot starter.IMO
Surfs up
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: 198)

Postby thedude » Sat Mar 05, 2005 2:09 pm

this is hardly surpising news for those how follow the red sox. the local media has been speculating for months that it would be wake not arroyo going to the bullpen when miller is ready. i have thus avioded arroyo and treated him like a player with a huge injury risk, because i don't know what role he will be playing this year or howmuch playing time he will get.
"I do not think baseball of today is any better than it was 30 years ago... I still think Radbourne is the greatest of the pitchers." John Sullivan 1914-Old athletes never change.
thedude
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 2)

Postby Bozo » Sat Mar 05, 2005 4:27 pm

As an Arroyo owner I'm still not worried. Even if he is to be considered the #6 starter a month in to the season, one of the first five will falter soon enough. Millers's labrum is hangin by a thread, Schilling's ankle will still be a concern, Wells back problems will continue, and Wakefield will soon be eligible for seniors softball. I'm in a keeper league so I'm gonna bide my time and be patient; I still think he'll be helpful this year and play a major role next year.
Bozo
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 12)

Return to Baseball Leftovers